Sheep Meat Processing

chasewild

WKR
For all of the sheep veterans here, I'm wondering what to do with a sheep in terms of processing.

Do you turn any into hamburger? This seems sacrilegious to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

Ribs...do you all do a rib roll or something else?

Give me all of your tips on how to make the most of a sheep.

What we typically do is, back straps and tenderloins just cut up and packaged individual meals to feed our family of four, then we have as many roasts made as we can, ribs are also packaged up for single meals, and then whatever loose meat is left, including neck meat, is ground up into hamburger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRWNBR

WKR
Roasts and stew meat. Never burgered a sheep. Tenders and back get steaked.

i was thinking of doing some ground meat with all the random cuts and mediterranian type seasoning, rolling it up in some pita bread with tzatziki sauce gyro style.

Stid2677

WKR
i was thinking of doing some ground meat with all the random cuts and mediterranian type seasoning, rolling it up in some pita bread with tzatziki sauce gyro style.

I used a food processor and rotisserie for my grill.

You should,,,:) make some fresh bread to eat it on. :)

T4831IJh.jpg

smoked a mouflon front shoulder the other day on my pellet grill. hickory smoked for a couple hours then added to a pan with a can of beer, bell peppers, onion chipotle peppers, garlic and covered with foil til finished. should have taken it out a little earlier but the flavors were spot on. sliced it thin and have been eating gyros all weekend. cant wait to start doing this with all my game shoulders

IMG_20180922_094602608.jpg

Battleguy

Banned
I either buy from sausage maker or butcher packer. So SM would be my choice.Read the description, different sizes and lengths in the home pac.I buy a hank, they are all the same diameter.

Jimbob

WKR
First sheep for me this year. I did steaks, roasts, stew, and ground. This is what I do with every game animal.

tuffcity

WKR
I pretty much do the same as AKTroutbum., except my rib meat goes into the stew or ground pile as I cut it off the bones prior to pack out. Going to make some jerky as well.

RC

wyben

FNG
My Bighorn Sheep meat was probably the best wild meat I've had. I treated it like my Elk or Deer.