Montana unlimited experience/success?

Snowcrest6

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious how things went this year for the few people who ventured into the Unlimiteds?

Sheep? Bears? Scenery?

I’m headed into tom miner basin next year solo...... just curious to know how the hunting is these days

sodak

FNG
I saw a lot of places where the sheep weren’t. In the end I found sheep but no legal rams. Didn’t see any bears but saw a lot of fresh sign. Loved the hunt. It was my first year hunting sheep and my first time hunting in Montana.

Physically demanding but certainly not impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunted an area for 3 and a half days and turned up two ewes and a young ram that wasn't legal. Moved to another spot 6 miles away and hunted for 3 days and didn't see any sheep. Went back to first spot and a found out that a fella killed a ram off the area that I had been hunting. That stung a bit but I met the guy who killed the sheep on the second day and that's his second out of that unlimited unit. From the sounds of it he practically lives in there so I wasn't too surprised. Another guy missed a ram on the second day of the season not to far from us.

Saw about 15+ goat, a few sheep, a big herd of elk, a sow black bear with a cub, and a few small mule deer. Awesome hunt and can't wait to be back in there next year.

MtGomer

WKR
I went for 11 days and I saw a couple black bears, some grizzly sign a couple sheep and a lot of scenery. I did not go into 300.

junior

WKR
Tom Miner full of grizz, as you likely know. probably good elk too if you can catch them on public land. Doesnt need to scare you away but especially being solo, be prepared and take caution. got bluff charged in a different area of MT this year and thankfully we had 3 of us together and the sow made the right choice to turn take her cub and leave. she would have gotten a triple dose of spray and potentially some 10mm. I think if it was 1 hunter she would have kept coming.

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
Solo sheep hunting is just crazy risky for so many reasons. I would definitely be the one that gets eaten by a bear.