Clothing list for Alaska (Down)?

ColeyG

WKR
The Houdini and R1 are awesome pieces and have been a staple in my mountain clothing lineup for more than a decade. That having been said, I usually don't take either on hunting trips as I prefer to be able to wear any item of clothing as my outermost layer at any point and so I've tried to find the equivalent of these pieces in camo.

In the Sitka line, the Core Heavyweight hoody replaces to the R1 hoody for me. I use the Ascent vest as a lightweight wind layer instead of the Houdini, though it isn't quite as functional for that purpose.

In sum my upper body system is as follows:

Base Layer = Sitka lightweight short sleeve synthetic T-shirt.

Second Layer = Sitka Core lighweight long sleeve shirt, more often than not I substitute some generic synthetic shirt LS or SS base layer shirt as this layer rarely sees the light of day.

Expedition Weight Layer = Sitka Core heavyweight long sleeve shirt

Wind Layer = Sitka Ascent vest. I don't always take a wind layer when weight and space are very significant factors as my hardshell can be used to cut wind when needed, though I prefer to not abuse my hardshell layer more than necessary.

Insulating Layer = Sitka Kelvin Lite hoody

Puffy = Sitka Kelvin Parka

Hardshell = Sitka Stormfront jacket

My advice would be to not take the Kuiu chinook jacket, or the Kuiu guide jacket. Weight is key and a combination of the down jacket, which is light weight, and the raingear/vest will cover you for warmth/rain.

Looking at your list, I would have a minimum of three pairs of socks and two sets of sock liners.

My torso packing list consists of the following:
long sleeve base layer (sitka)
short sleeve base layer (x2)
fleece vest (patagonia)
down jacket (patagonia)
rain jacket (sitka)

My sheep hunting moto is, if I know I'll need it, take it. If I think I'll need it, leave it...

ColeyG

WKR
I like the motto. Mine is similar, "can I survive without this." Things like "extra" and "spare" aren't really part of the equation.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
My advice would be to not take the Kuiu chinook jacket, or the Kuiu guide jacket. Weight is key and a combination of the down jacket, which is light weight, and the raingear/vest will cover you for warmth/rain.

Looking at your list, I would have a minimum of three pairs of socks and two sets of sock liners.

My torso packing list consists of the following:
long sleeve base layer (sitka)
short sleeve base layer (x2)
fleece vest (patagonia)
down jacket (patagonia)
rain jacket (sitka)

My sheep hunting moto is, if I know I'll need it, take it. If I think I'll need it, leave it...

Do you happen to know which fleece and puffy jacket you take? I found a fleece that really interests me, it’s called the Nunivak and Barney’s carries it. I also am considering the super cub jacket they sell as the puffy for this trip. I’m pretty set on leaving the chinook and guide jacket at home. And the spare socks are the advice I’m getting. Around 3-4 pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think another good thing to consider, and this goes for many things, is can the item have multiple purposes or functions? The clothing that I bring on a mountain hunt is very limited and I try to make it have multiple purposes if possible. I often times wear my puffy gear to bed which allows me to take a lighter weight quilt, and, the last couple seasons, I only took one pair of pants, my Kuiu Chugach rain pants, which I wear the entire hunt, the only exception being when I go to bed. I also always take at least one spare pair of socks (but never more than two), and one change of underwear. So, The absolute most clothing that I will be caring in my pack is 1 to 2 pair of socks at 4 oz./pr, one pair of underwear at 2.5 oz., one Chugach rain jacket 19.7 oz., beanie 2.5 oz., and my puffy pants and jacket at 14 oz. total. Total weight for all of this is approximately 45-47 oz., including the dry bag they’re in, and often times I’m wearing the rain jacket. I found that this works for me and keeps me from carrying unneeded clothing.

Last edited:
I take the Patagonia down sweater, which is super light (15.1 oz) and packs to about the size of a baseball. I believe my vest is the synchilla (warm and makes a great pillow). I'm sure any vest would work.

My favorite piece of gear though is the Sitka Cloudburst Gore-tex Jacket. I bought this a few years ago, and could immediately leave another jacket at home. First time I could comprehend that it doesn't have to be raining to wear a rain jacket! Wear it in the wind or the cold and you can cut out another jacket, especially if you are wearing it over down.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
I think another good thing to consider, and this goes for many things, is can the item have multiple purposes or functions? The clothing that I bring on a mountain hunt is very limited and I try to make it have multiple purposes if possible. I often times wear my puffy gear to bed which allows me to take a lighter weight quilt, and, the last couple seasons, I only took one pair of pants, my Kuiu Chugach rain pants, which I wear the entire hunt, the only exception being when I go to bed. I also always take at least one spare pair of socks (but never more than two), and one change of underwear. So, The absolute most clothing that I will be caring in my pack is 1 to 2 pair of socks at 4 oz./pr, one pair of underwear at 2.5 oz., one Chugach rain jacket 19.7 oz., beanie 2.5 oz., and my puffy pants and jacket at 14 oz. total. Total weight for all of this is approximately 45-47 oz., including the dry bag they’re in, and often times I’m wearing the rain jacket. I found that this works for me and keeps me from carrying unneeded clothing.

I really appreciate the input. I can easily see how you could over pack and carry unneeded things. I think trying to make sure things serve multiple functions is the key. And you guys are helping me get the gear in line to be as light and well prepared as I can. Its not very cheap getting down as light as I can be though .

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I’d rather have an extra pair of socks (three total - 2 rotate hiking and a sacred pair for sleeping) than extra underwear.

Every time I think I'm sitting good on getting pack weight down Troutbum comes around and makes me question things again :D

I think it basically just comes down to what you’re comfortable with and the most minimal amount of gear that you can pack in and yet still be comfortable.
I also think we’re very fortunate as hunters today to have the ultra lightweight, yet in many cases, more durable and capable options than what was being offered a couple decades ago.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Wind gypsy do you have any experience with the Arc’teryx Proton AR? According to what I read it’s a little stouter fabric on the outside and a little more breathable. Wanted to see if you or anybody had any experience with that piece

Wind gypsy do you have any experience with the Arc’teryx Proton AR? According to what I read it’s a little stouter fabric on the outside and a little more breathable. Wanted to see if you or anybody had any experience with that piece

No experience, interesting jacket after looking at it. Sounds like it's actually Apex insulation, looks like about apex 2.65 in body and 1.9 in sleeves. Little stouter fabric than ultralight options. Compared to a FL uncompahgre I'd guess it would be similar warmth, couple ounces lighter, and too trim to layer under much. Really they would probably perform similarly, the couple extra ounces on a Uncompahgre is likely in the roomy fit.

Jimss

WKR
A couple things you may want to add to your list is gortex/windstopper gloves, thin beanie or baklava, and fleece neck gator. Something I cherish on sheep and goat hunts is padded soled socks! They come in different thickness. I really like Therlos and Smartwool. I would also advise padded boot insoles. Feet are especially important on sheep hunts!

I've been on 2 dall sheep and 3 Alaska mtn goat hunts. My go to gear for tops is long sleeve core, Cabelas thicker microfleece shirt, fleece vest, Sitka 90 (or similar) hooded jacket (with pitzips), and Sitka Downpour rainjacket (with pitzips). I prefer a fleece vest rather than full length "puffy" jacket. It saves on weight and bulk.

If you are flying in via super cub you normally are super limited to weight and bulk. I would highly recommend cutting back on some of your duplicates. If you are backpack hunting there is only so much you can carry. I would get out a scale and weigh every item on your list...to help narrow down what to bring and leave home.

It looks like you are on the right track with all your sitka and kuiu layers. I usually steer clear of down but I'm sure some of the new down coatings that Kuiu and others use is super light and less bulky. It's just a matter of figuring out which to bring!

deadwolf

WKR
I’m strongly considering buying the Arc’teryx atom lt hoody. And incorporating that somehow. It gets great reviews. And is synthetic. Just not sure how it could or would fit into the list. I want to be as light as I can but have the bases covered

I’ll second the atom LT from Arc. It’s lightweight and warm.

I wouldn’t shy away from down, as long as it is the dri down treated type. I think about down this way...my down sleeping bag or quilt is always is a dry bag, then straight into a dry tent. I’ve only ever had the foot box of my bag wet due to condensation on the tent wall. But your jacket is often exposed even under rain gear when it’s pouring or busting brush and you have a higher likelihood of it getting wetted out.

Jimss

WKR
I've used a down bag with a somewhat "waterproof" outer on several Alaska trips. As Deadwolf mentioned above always keep it in a dry bag. I let mine air dry before going out each morning and stick it inside my drybag when I'm gone from camp each day. As Deadwolf also mentioned pay attention that the bottom or sides of your bag doesn't lay against your tent or it may get wet from condensation. I'm overly protective of my down sleeping bag since it is my lifeline while out in the boonies! Down is awesome for light weight and less bulk.....just need to be super cautious! Not all down is created equally so I would definitely check into buying the best available! It's tough to beat Western Mountaineering. Take a look at as many internet product ratings as you can prior to buying!

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
For insulating layers, I will never take down. To each their own but as Nick said earlier, it's one less thing I have to worry about. This is my entire clothing list.

Sitka Cloudburst Rain Jacket and Pants
Kifaru Lost Park Parka
Sitka Kelvin Pants
Sitka Traverse Zip-T
Sitka Timberline Pants
Sitka Traverse Beanie
Sitka Traverse Gloves
Two pairs of Smartwool Hiking Weight Socks
One pair of Merino boxers
Sleeveless poly workout style top

For sleeping bags it's either my cheapo 15* down bag or my Marmot CWM depending on season. Both bags are older and made before the use of treated down, I just keep that in mind and they are always inside of a dry bag. I tend to push against the wall of the tent really bad with my feet so when I'm sleeping, I zip my rain jacket up and slide it over the end of the bag. Works great for keeping the bag dry unless my rain jacket is soaked which tends to happen a fair bit up here. Then I just sag my Kelvin pants low enough to cover my feet.

Last edited:

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look at the Micro puff over the nano puff in patagucci. Warmer and lighter.

I love my Micro puff. its amazingly warm for the weight/bulk and dries really easy. Its a little lite for sitting all day glassing late season but for early season It'd be fine.

My favorite puffy is my Barneys Super Cub jacket. Kevin and Bob did a great job designing this one. It has an event shell that really helps with wind and light rain. Its not the lightest out there but man is warm and comfy. I'm very cold natured so the weight penalty is worth it to me. I had a Kuiu super down pro but sent it down the road. I know other guys do well with it but I just don't like down up here.

Most hunts over the years down would have been fine and saved me some weight but the few times it wasn't fine I was glad I had synthetic.

tlkaetz

WKR
Getting a start on clothing for an Alaska sheep hunt this coming year. Over time i have acquired a lot of gear I need for this hunt. Almost all is solid color but rain gear. And the chinook. They are vias .The one question I have is my puffy, it’s an Arc’teryx thorium AR hoody.

Clothing I have
Sitka merino base layers (older style)
Kuiu attack pants
Sitka jetstream vest (not sure I’m taking)
Kuiu chinook jacket (not sure I’m taking)
Kuiu guide jacket (won’t be taking)
Kuiu gaiters
Darn tough over the calf socks x2
Kuiu Chugach rain gear
Arc’teryx thorium AR puffy

Clothing to get
Sitka core heavyweight or Patagonia R1
Base layer (merino blend)
Underwear x2

Do you guys see any holes here? How do you feel about the Arc’teryx puffy (down)? Any suggestions I would truly appreciate. 10 day hunt on opening week. If you see anything I need or should shed please let me know. Appreciate it fellas

What clothing system did you end up deciding on??

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
First lite aerowool bottom x2
First lite aerowool top x2
Fits ski socks medium cushion x3
Arcteryx naga hoody
Kuiu peloton 240 vest
Kuiu chugach rain gear
Kifaru LPP/arcteryx thorium-undecided
Goose feet gear downtek pants
OR windpro beanie
Scarpa Charmoz/Scarpa Rebel k/ Salewa Raven 2- undecided

Pretty much everything is set there as far as clothing. The boots are still up in the air. I planned to wear Hoffman Explorers but not exactly sure that’s what I’ll take. Thinking a synthetic boot may be best. Lighter and dries quicker.

As far as insulation layer i added the goosefeet gear full zip bottoms with 4 ounces of downtek. They are 10d with 70d reinforcement in seat and knees and weigh 9.5 ounces. Very happy with them. The insulation top I’m not totally committed on either. I have a LPP in transit to me as we speak. It’s gonna be a little heavier than some of the other options but it’s gonna work whether wet/damp or not. If I like the way the LPP packs down and it fits good I’ll probably take it. My sleep bag is a western mountaineering alpinlite with is obviously down but will carry in event compression sack or waterproof roll top. My pack weight is pretty good at this point so that’s why I’m considering the LPP but who knows i May end of changing that plan.