Clothing list for Alaska (Down)?

kipper09

WKR
Getting a start on clothing for an Alaska sheep hunt this coming year. Over time i have acquired a lot of gear I need for this hunt. Almost all is solid color but rain gear. And the chinook. They are vias .The one question I have is my puffy, it’s an Arc’teryx thorium AR hoody.

Clothing I have
Sitka merino base layers (older style)
Kuiu attack pants
Sitka jetstream vest (not sure I’m taking)
Kuiu chinook jacket (not sure I’m taking)
Kuiu guide jacket (won’t be taking)
Kuiu gaiters
Darn tough over the calf socks x2
Kuiu Chugach rain gear
Arc’teryx thorium AR puffy

Clothing to get
Sitka core heavyweight or Patagonia R1
Base layer (merino blend)
Underwear x2

Do you guys see any holes here? How do you feel about the Arc’teryx puffy (down)? Any suggestions I would truly appreciate. 10 day hunt on opening week. If you see anything I need or should shed please let me know. Appreciate it fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatbacks

WKR
I've used this as a general packing list for some time now - not necessarily for specific brand, but more as a good checklist for what you should have.

https://www.provingtrailadventures.com/images/downloads/Backpack_Sheep_Hunting-Gear_List.pdf

As a rule, I do not use down for anything until late season moose. I had a very soggy sheep hunt this fall and I was always able to put on my synthetic puffy coat and get in my synthetic sleeping bag and sleep myself dry. My two cents and there are plenty of folks who use down so I suspect you'll get tons of different opinions on down/synthetic.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
I’m strongly considering buying the Arc’teryx atom lt hoody. And incorporating that somehow. It gets great reviews. And is synthetic. Just not sure how it could or would fit into the list. I want to be as light as I can but have the bases covered

oenanthe

WKR
I've been using down bags and jackets on Alaska sheep hunts for 25 years and have yet to have a serious problem with wet down. The only trips for which I would consider a synthetic bag are river trips in rainy areas where I know it's just going to be wet all the time and I'm not worried about the weight of a synthetic bag. For a sheep hunt I'm taking a down bag every time; the only question is whether I'm taking my 30-degree bag or my 20-degree bag.

For a puffy the weight difference is not as significant as with a sleeping bag. Also, a synthetic puffy is a bit more versatile in a layering system. I have both down and synthetic puffys; for most sheep hunts I take one of my down puffies but if it's going to be cold and wet or if the trip involves river travel I'll take the synthetic.

I've been using down bags and jackets on Alaska sheep hunts for 25 years and have yet to have a serious problem with wet down. The only trips for which I would consider a synthetic bag are river trips in rainy areas where I know it's just going to be wet all the time and I'm not worried about the weight of a synthetic bag. For a sheep hunt I'm taking a down bag every time; the only question is whether I'm taking my 30-degree bag or my 20-degree bag.

For a puffy the weight difference is not as significant as with a sleeping bag. Also, a synthetic puffy is a bit more versatile in a layering system. I have both down and synthetic puffys; for most sheep hunts I take one of my down puffies but if it's going to be cold and wet or if the trip involves river travel I'll take the synthetic.

I couldn’t agree more! Although I don’t have the 25 years of experience sheep hunting, I’ve done a few mountain hunts up here and I almost exclusively take down. I will occasionally take synthetic puff gear and leave it at base camp for emergencies.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I’ve done a few mountain hunts up here and I almost exclusively take down.

I think you over qualify on “a few” there dude!! You’ve got a wealth of experience imo anyways.

Getting a start on clothing for an Alaska sheep hunt this coming year. Over time i have acquired a lot of gear I need for this hunt. Almost all is solid color but rain gear. And the chinook. They are vias .The one question I have is my puffy, it’s an Arc’teryx thorium AR hoody.

Clothing I have
Sitka merino base layers (older style)
Kuiu attack pants
Sitka jetstream vest (not sure I’m taking)
Kuiu chinook jacket (not sure I’m taking)
Kuiu guide jacket (won’t be taking)
Kuiu gaiters
Darn tough over the calf socks x2
Kuiu Chugach rain gear
Arc’teryx thorium AR puffy

Clothing to get
Sitka core heavyweight or Patagonia R1
Base layer (merino blend)
Underwear x2

Do you guys see any holes here? How do you feel about the Arc’teryx puffy (down)? Any suggestions I would truly appreciate. 10 day hunt on opening week. If you see anything I need or should shed please let me know. Appreciate it fellas

Arc’teryx makes better options than the atom lt for a sheep hunt. It is more of an active layer puffy and not very warm for the weight. I have a nuclei FL that is lighter, warmer, and more water resistant than my atom LT.

Following because I will be taking my first dall sheep trip next year too. I’m planning on using a nunatak PCT jacket with apex insulation. I don’t have the experience to say go synthetic but the nunatak apex stuff is very close to the same weight/warmth as lightest common down options so it is an easy choice.

Last edited:

as.ks.ak

WKR
In my limited experience I’ve used down exclusively. Treated down of course, but down nonetheless. I use an enlightened equipment down quilt to sleep in. I have a synthetic jacket I use from time to time. But it’s hard to use something like that when the down weighs 1/3 of the synthetic. Especially when I’m going solo a majority of the time. Just my .02. I haven’t regretted taking it yet and I live in SEAK.

As long as you’re smart about your moisture management, I think you’ll be just fine.

That being said, I’ve heard plenty of good thing about synthetics. I think at the end of the day it comes down to preference and your long term uses for the item. Buy what you’ll need long term, something that’ll benefit you for years to come. That’s my angle anyways.

Last edited:
OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
In my limited experience I’ve used down exclusively. Treated down of course, but down nonetheless. I use an enlightened equipment down quilt to sleep in. I have a synthetic jacket I use from time to time. But it’s hard to use something like that when the down weighs 1/3 of the synthetic. Especially when I’m going solo a majority of the time. Just my .02. I haven’t regretted taking it yet and I live in SEAK.

As long as you’re smart about your moisture management, I think you’ll be just fine.

That being said, I’ve heard plenty of good thing about synthetics. I think at the end of the day it comes down to preference and your long term uses for the item. Buy what you’ll need long term, something that’ll benefit you for years to come. That’s my angle anyways.

The thorium AR I have it And it’s a great jacket. (Obviously not treated down)I wear it in the winter around town and would obviously rather use something I have simply for money reasons. I was wanting some good input from people who have been there and done that. Which you guys have. Appreciate all the input. Keep it coming

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Arc’teryx makes better options than the atom lt for a sheep hunt. It is more of an active layer puffy and not very warm for the weight. I have a nuclei FL that is lighter, warmer, and more water resistant than my atom LT.

Following because I will be taking my first dall sheep trip next year too. I’m planning on using a nunatak PCT jacket with apex insulation. I don’t have the experience to say go synthetic but the nunatak apex stuff is very close to the same weight/warmth as lightest common down options so it is an easy choice.

I will look at the nunatek. I find that very interesting. I have looked at Arc’teryx, first lite puffy, lost park parka, Rab, and Sitka kelvin. I’m really checking out the options and really appreciate the input.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I will look at the nunatek. I find that very interesting. I have looked at Arc’teryx, first lite puffy, lost park parka, Rab, and Sitka kelvin. I’m really checking out the options and really appreciate the input.

That kifaru synthetic jacket. The lost park parka, I’ve got a few buddies that swear by the damn thing. Never worn it myself. But there’s a reason so many people own it.

I've done a few mountain hunts up here and I never take down. For me, it's one less thing to worry about. Everyone has their system that works, mine just doesn't include down.

fatbacks

WKR
I’m strongly considering buying the Arc’teryx atom lt hoody. And incorporating that somehow. It gets great reviews. And is synthetic. Just not sure how it could or would fit into the list. I want to be as light as I can but have the bases covered

I use the atom lt hoody on all my sheep opener hunts. I feel like I can get away with it in early August. After that I always bring the first lite synthetic puffy.

The atom lt has vented sides so when it gets really chilly I just throw it under my rain shell.

duchntr

WKR
Id steer you away from the down jacket as well. That layer in my experience just gets a lot of moisture on it, be it from cooking your base layer dry after a long hump or just wearing it under your shell for a weeks worth of rain it just gets a lot of exposure. Ive never had a problem keeping my down bag dry but my puffy not so much, id hate for you to end up with a flat puffy mid way though your hunt. Lots of great syn options out there though, if you like Arc'teryx look at the atom AR or nucleus fl, the LT is a bit light imo I used it on my first sheep hunt years ago(cold). Rest of your list looks good, fwiw on base layers I really think the new aerowool is best stuff out there.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Spent a little time today looking at synthetic puffys, how do you guys feel about the Patagonia Nano puff hoody? It looks like one i could buy in a forge grey and use before and after the hunt Around home and get some other use out of it. It looks pretty lightweight for a synthetic.. I also been looking at the aero wool and it really interests me.

ColeyG

WKR
The warmest jacket I take on early season sheep hunts is the Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody, which is synthetic. Into the second or third week in August hunting the mountains in AK, I toss in the Kelvin Parka, which is a down/synthetic blend, best of both worlds in my opinion. Couldn't be happier with these pieces. They are both relatively light, durable, and functional garments that pack down small for their size and warmth.

Some additional care needs to be take with down bags and puffy layers, obviously, but they can be managed in super wet environments. The weight savings on backpack mountain hunts is well worth the extra maintenance of down for me. The Sea to Summit eVent dry compression sacks are pretty handy for keeping dry stuff dry without adding a lot of weight or bulk to your kit. The dry down and down/syn blends are a great solutions and middle of the road compromises in the down vs. syn debate. Might be worth a look.

Spent a little time today looking at synthetic puffys, how do you guys feel about the Patagonia Nano puff hoody? It looks like one i could buy in a forge grey and use before and after the hunt Around home and get some other use out of it. It looks pretty lightweight for a synthetic.. I also been looking at the aero wool and it really interests me.

I'd look at the Micro puff over the nano puff in patagucci. Warmer and lighter.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
I been looking at the Sitka stuff as well. Kind think I need a good warm puffy for glass of that will block the wind. Seems to fit the bill. Kinda thinking of leaving the chinook at home and getting a Sitka core heavyweight or R1.

I been looking at the Sitka stuff as well. Kind think I need a good warm puffy for glass of that will block the wind. Seems to fit the bill. Kinda thinking of leaving the chinook at home and getting a Sitka core heavyweight or R1.

I use the R1 hoody quite a bit and typically have a chinook with me on day hunts in MT/WY. I'm leaning towards skipping the chinook and using a Patagonia Houdini wind shirt at 3.6 ounces to cut the wind over base layers for the sheep hunt.

For upper body I'm thinking Aerowool Lightweight T-shirt, Sitka Core LW hoody, R1, Houdini windshirt, puffy, rain shell.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
I really like your plan for the upper body. That should cover about anything