Last minute sheep hunt

jwatts

WKR
So I have a dilemma. A few years back I booked a dall sheep hunt for late August 2019. Due to some very unfortunate events my hunt had to be cancelled. I won't get into the details for the sake of the outfitter, but I will say I do not blame him at all for having to cancel the hunt. But, that leads me to my problem. I have enough vacation time to take roughly 6 weeks off to cover travel time and hunting time. I have the money stuck back and ready. I have gotten all of my gear together for this hunt. As of right now I have everything but the hunt.

My question is, would it be possible to find a dall sheep hunt for the same time frame? Would any reputable outfitter already be booked solid for 2019? Would it be worth getting on a cancellation hunt list?

I plan to hunt somewhere in 2019. I have preference points for Wyoming deer, Colorado deer, and Colorado elk. I am not against using them for a 2019 hunt but I would have to apply for any of those tags in early 2019, which would have me committed to it (and committed to not sheep hunting). Another option I have been kicking around is mountain goat, which would likely be the same situation as sheep (outfitters already booked up). I guess I am more looking for advice on whether or not, in my situation, you would try to scramble and get a 2019 sheep hunt booked, or just regroup, schedule for 2020 or 2021, and go with another species for 2019?

bradb

WKR
I didn't book mine tell about 2 months ago. I think with some quick checking you could probably find something real good yet. Might want to just start calling and emailing outfitters and booking agents. Not long after I booked Mervyans and they had a opening come up(from what I remember anyway)

Trial153

WKR
I would be on the phone with the best booking agents I know of today
. I bet you can find a kick ass hunt for 2019. Another option is...make a list of a handful of outfitters that youd book with regardless of if they are booked up.
Then call them and jump on their waiting list for the coming year. You might fall into a great hunt at discount.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
Thanks for the tips. I have a list of outfitters that I considered prior to booking, and will be calling them over the next few days.

Snyd

WKR
Before you book with an outfitter apply for the AK limited draw sheep hunts. You will find out results in Feb.

It's the other way around.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/a...939D3834B7A6FCD/2019-2020_draw_supplement.pdf

Guide-client contracts required for nonresident hunts
All nonresidents hunting big game species that require an Alaska-licensed
guide must have a signed guide-client contract before or at the time of application.
These hunts are identified with the “handshake” symbol shown here.
To get started, select an Alaska-licensed registered or master guide who is currently registered for all or a portion of the Guide Use Area (GUA) where you wish to hunt and for the year the permit is valid. You can find this information by contacting:
Big Game Commercial Services Board: PO Box 110806
Juneau, Alaska 99811-0806
Phone (907) 465-2543
Email: [email protected]
Website: https://www.commerce.alaska.gov/web/cbpl/ProfessionalLicensing/ BigGameCommercialServicesBoard.aspx
Once you decide on a guide, finalize the guide-client contract. This guide-client contract should allow the guide to submit your draw application and provide hunting services. Guides: when applying for your client, be sure to select Registered Guide and enter your unique verification code.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
Thanks for all the help. I've got a few leads on openings for 2019. Fingers crossed it will all work out

YBPS

WKR
Go to the sheep show in Reno in feb and talk to the outfitters in person.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
As a matter of fact I did. A fellow Rokslide member had some health issues pop up and will be unable to make his hunt this year. We spoke with the outfitter and I have assumed his hunt. I couldn't have asked for anything better, as the outfitter was one I had looked into before booking my hunt.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Too bad for the unlucky rokslider, hope he heals up soon. Good fortune for you though!

VernAK

WKR
I'm aware of the story and I'm glad it worked out for you!

You got the better guide in this area and with this mild winter there may be some greater horn growth.

Good Luck!

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to it. I hate it for the other hunter, but it did work out great that I could assume his hunt.

Good deal jwatts, glad you were able to find something and make it work. Who are ya gonna be hunting with if ya don't mind me asking?