$100 for CO PP?

There's always the Unlimited Districts in MT. A shade less than 3% success rates and you get to sheep hunt every year. Tag isn't cheap for a non-resident but your in a unit that has sheep with a tag in your pocket.

sndmn11

WKR
Has anyone heard if desert sheep will change at all since there's no points associated?

CPW called me back and the $50/100 preference point fee does not apply to Desert Sheep because there are no preference points associated. The guy on the phone made a point to tell me that a spring turkey, small game, or fishing and small game license was a prerequisite to applying.

CoHiCntry

WKR
CPW called me back and the $50/100 preference point fee does not apply to Desert Sheep because there are no preference points associated. The guy on the phone made a point to tell me that a spring turkey, small game, or fishing and small game license was a prerequisite to applying.

Thanks for following up. I can see the draw odds for deserts getting even worse now. If deserts have no $50/$100 fee associated it makes sense that some guys will shift from applying for Rocky Mountains to deserts. Bad news for me...

chindits

WKR
So excuse my ignorance but I’ve never had to pay a preference point fee before.

Does this mean I have to pay $50 to enter a first choice pp code or does this mean if I enter a first choice and don’t draw I have to pay $50 to get that yearly point. Or does this mean I don’t have to pay $50 but every year I can put in for the draw with my current points.

TJack303

FNG
It means if you want a preference point, whether using the preference point code or if your first draw is unsuccessful it will cost $50. I like the new changes, after the ridiculous amount of hunters getting points for moose, goats, sheep etc in co last year something had to change.

chindits

WKR
I guess I liked the old system of two years ago. Just putting up the full tag fee and getting refunded if unsuccessful weeded out tens of thousands of people. Now I am looking at a 150 loss every year on a weighted lottery. And unfortunately with the draw results being posted I’m able to see how many people draw tags that have invested less money and years at the racket.

Trial153

WKR
I guess I liked the old system of two years ago. Just putting up the full tag fee and getting refunded if unsuccessful weeded out tens of thousands of people. Now I am looking at a 150 loss every year on a weighted lottery. And unfortunately with the draw results being posted I’m able to see how many people draw tags that have invested less money and years at the racket.

I agree. They should have left it as was. If they needed additional revenue they could have raised the application fee.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It means if you want a preference point, whether using the preference point code or if your first draw is unsuccessful it will cost $50. I like the new changes, after the ridiculous amount of hunters getting points for moose, goats, sheep etc in co last year something had to change.

You used "IF" in there but I don't think there is an option if you apply and are unsuccessful to decline a preference point, if you apply you are signing up for a $50 fee or tag cost. Plus the $7 drawing application fee on top of either of those charges. Have they announced what they plan to do with this big boost in revenue? They better be putting it to good use that benefits hunters specifically since they're gonna be kicking in a lot more money.

EDIT, from the FAQ they posted. Seems a little half assed to not have at least discussed the topic on a major fee change. Making it optional would be the fare thing to do so folks not interested in "increasing their odds" at such fees can still try to use the years they've previously invested to draw a tag. BUT there is money dangling out there so I wouldn't expect it to be optional when the dust settles.

"Will applicants unsuccessful on their first choice for Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep, mountain goat, and moose be required to purchase a preference point in 2019, or will the purchase of a preference point be optional?​ ​

​The Commission did not discuss at its November 2018 meeting whether the purchase of a preference point for these species would be mandatory or optional. A decision about that is scheduled for the Commission's January meeting in Denver."

Last edited:

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
Increased preference point fees are inevitable. In all reality it has nothing to do with the draw and everything to do with generated revenue

Bambistew

WKR
Personally, I wish they would have raised the tag price 5x and make you front it all like before. Weed out even more people. I mean if we're going to price people out, lets do it right.

sndmn11

WKR
I just found this response in my spam folder.

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Colorado Parks and Wildlife. I understand you are inquiring about preference point fees for Desert Bighorn Sheep.

No preference point fees will be charged for Desert Bighorn Sheep because no preference points are awarded for this species. The only species that will be charged the preference point fee are Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat and Moose. In addition, each resident application will be charged the $7.00 nonrefundable application fee for each big game species they apply for.

A qualifying hunting license, valid between April 1, 2019 and March 31, 2020, must be purchased in order to apply for any 2019 big game license. A qualifying license includes: 1) an annual resident or nonresident small game hunting licenses; 2) an annual resident or nonresident spring turkey license; or 3) resident small game/fishing combination license (only available to residents). Qualifying licenses for the 2019 big game drawing will be available for purchase on March 1, 2019. The Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission may consider whether to include the veterans lifetime resident combination license as a qualifying hunting license at its January 2019 meeting; visit the Commission website for the latest information.

The $10.00 habitat stamp will also be added to the application process if required.

Thank you again for contacting Colorado Parks and Wildlife. If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us by phone or email.

--
Bradley Gabrielski
Communication Center Wildlife Coordinator
Communication Center"

squirrel

WKR
These guys have literally nothing to do but figure out ways to print more money, they couldn't raise the application fees due to statute so they came up with a roundabout. Adopting what has turned into cash for the other western states (AZ's small game license set that in motion, and WY selling points were the trend setter in that regard.) Additional stamps? Ever count how many you need to go shoot a duck, a turkey, and a pheasant in one day? You need your game pouch for the paper not your game... It will never end as they can always piss it away no matter how much comes in

Anyone pay attention to how they are setting up to print their way out of some of the best shiras hunting on the planet? Public safety. The table is being set as of now once you realize how they work.

"Too Many Moose" Winter Park magazine if you are interested in such politics.

WKR
I would think moose and goat odds may get better. I've been applying for a while and in 2019, I won't be. I'll do $50 for sheep for a while longer yet. I can buy my annual non-resident hunting licenses though in Nebraska and Kansas and have a great time upland game hunting for the money not spent in Colorado.

It will continue to change which is a bad thing. These last few years the CDOW/Commission has been all over.

Colorado has been very good to me, so I won't complain, but if there is one thing to highlight is the amount of money you're putting towards these weighted points that don't really do much for you. That is to say, if you had 3-10 right now, and just applied, you'd still be in the running right along with the other guys.

The problem is, as soon as you sit out a couple years, the CDOW will change the process once again and then you will most likely be behind due to those years you sat out.

Support wildlife. Pay the higher fees for the points. I am glad they raised the entry fees. Everything is increasing in cost across the country. Whynot tag and point fees?

squirrel

WKR
Support wildlife. Pay the higher fees for the points. I am glad they raised the entry fees. Everything is increasing in cost across the country. Whynot tag and point fees?

Because it does not equate. If I want to support wildlife I will build a birdhouse or toss a bale on the other side of the fence, or go and cut an old barely alive quaky so they can chew on it above snow line. Buying them a new truck to ride around in??? A little too indirect for my tastes.

Trial153

WKR
Seems like there should be better ways to spread out the cost. Not just in this is instance but across the board. Draw too much water and you might wake up to a dry well on day.

Jimss

WKR
It seems to reason that if hunters are investing $50 to $100/year to apply for a pref pt that their investment of both time and money ought to mean something. With the current, sheep, goat, and moose pref pt system, those that have applied for 20 years really don't have that much better chance to draw the same tag as those that have 3 pref pts! It would be nice if Colo transferred to a bonus pt system similar to NV where points are squared. How many of you are confused how the sheep, goat, and moose pref pt system actually works?

Colo's current pref pt system for s/g/and moose is a joke! Please take time to complete the 5 year plan survey and send as many comments in regard to the funky pref pt system for sheep, goat, and moose as possible!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems to reason that if hunters are investing $50 to $100/year to apply for a pref pt that their investment of both time and money ought to mean something. With the current, sheep, goat, and moose pref pt system, those that have applied for 20 years really don't have that much better chance to draw the same tag as those that have 3 pref pts! It would be nice if Colo transferred to a bonus pt system similar to NV where points are squared. How many of you are confused how the sheep, goat, and moose pref pt system actually works?

Colo's current pref pt system for s/g/and moose is a joke! Please take time to complete the 5 year plan survey and send as many comments in regard to the funky pref pt system for sheep, goat, and moose as possible!
Maybe you should just cut all applicants with less than 10 years out oh wait you want to cut out everyone with less than twenty years.
You might have looked but the bottom of the points pyramid is a lot bigger than the top. Maybe the bottom tier should push to change the rules to thier advantage instead

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Bulldawg

WKR
I prefer the weighted points to bonus point system. To those that are greedy it makes it sound like you have a leg up but I like the randomness of the draw. I like that they make you invest 3 years of goodwill to be eligible then it’s random. I want all preference points to go away and to go straight random. Would make everything so much more simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk