Asia 2019

Some of you guys that have been to Asia for Ibex, tur, Marco Polo etc... what’s your caliber of choice for carrying over there or on sheep in general? Also what bags are you guys using to return the horns and cape home in? Water proof bags or something different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
I took a .300 Win Mag for no other reason than that is my go to rifle and I am confident in it. It is overkill for tur and ibex. They are not big critters. Argali are larger, and the .300 is more appropriate, IMO.

Something that you can shoot to 500 yards accurately in field conditions is what you want to take. Any big game cartridge from .264 to .30 will work well. I'll note that you are likely to have some steep uphill shots and a heavy kicker will give you a sweet scope cut. Just something to keep in mind.

To bring the horns/cape home you want, an 80-100 liter duffel, 3 contractor trash bags, a roll of duct tape and a couple of old towels. I took a heavy canvas duffel i've had for years. The cape into one trash bag. The horns get towel pieces taped on the sharp places and skull cap, then into a trash bag. Then both into the third trash bag. You'll have to tear it all apart to clear customs.

Jeremy

OP
huntstrong2850
I took a .300 Win Mag for no other reason than that is my go to rifle and I am confident in it. It is overkill for tur and ibex. They are not big critters. Argali are larger, and the .300 is more appropriate, IMO.

Something that you can shoot to 500 yards accurately in field conditions is what you want to take. Any big game cartridge from .264 to .30 will work well. I'll note that you are likely to have some steep uphill shots and a heavy kicker will give you a sweet scope cut. Just something to keep in mind.

To bring the horns/cape home you want, an 80-100 liter duffel, 3 contractor trash bags, a roll of duct tape and a couple of old towels. I took a heavy canvas duffel i've had for years. The cape into one trash bag. The horns get towel pieces taped on the sharp places and skull cap, then into a trash bag. Then both into the third trash bag. You'll have to tear it all apart to clear customs.

Jeremy

That’s what I was wondering about the rifle, love and shoot my 308 very well out beyond 500 yards so that’s what I was wanting to take. If it was enough gun for it on an Ibex.

Good to know about the trash bags that’s much more simple than I had heard from some, and makes a lot more sense. Thanks man

Wapiti1

WKR
A .308 with a high B.C. 165gr bullet would be a good combo to take.

Make sure you check with the airlines you fly to see if you can check a trophy. They're getting squirrelly about that sort of thing. I've heard of them refusing it and the shipping from places like Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan is not for the faint of heart.

Who are you hunting with?

Jeremy

OP
huntstrong2850
A .308 with a high B.C. 165gr bullet would be a good combo to take.

Make sure you check with the airlines you fly to see if you can check a trophy. They're getting squirrelly about that sort of thing. I've heard of them refusing it and the shipping from places like Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan is not for the faint of heart.

Who are you hunting with?

Jeremy

I’m going with Asian Mountain Outfitters to Tajikistan for mid Asian Ibex

Wapiti1

WKR
Good deal. Bryan knows his stuff in Asia. Tajik is one I haven't been to.

Post up some pics when you get back. Ibex in Asia are one of the last true bargain hunts. And they are all adventure to boot.

Jeremy

JP100

WKR
Some of you guys that have been to Asia for Ibex, tur, Marco Polo etc... what’s your caliber of choice for carrying over there or on sheep in general? Also what bags are you guys using to return the horns and cape home in? Water proof bags or something different?

Most 'normal' big game cartridge will work fine, Bring a gun your confident with and shoot often.
A .308 will work fine. get as much practice in as you can, shooting up hill/down hill. have your ballistics worked out for the elevation you be at.

We just got back from Kaz, I took a .300wsm, other hunter had a .300wsm and my uncle took a .243. All the Ibex died with one shot(I missed a shot, but no fault of the caliber.) Shots were 200 yards x2, 300 yards and 350 yards.

Be comfortable and confident with your shooting, dont shoot if your not happy, and dont get talked into the shot. Take your time.

Something like a hot 6.5/7mm is probably the ideal gun for sheep and goats, good ol .270 is pretty darn good, as is 7 rem mag, new 6.5 from hornady would be good.

As a guide/outfitter I like it when guys turn up with their 20 year old rifles, because they know how to shoot them. The guys that turn up with a rifle built especially for one trip worry me. Thats my 2cents.

We are getting our heads/skins shipped due to regs here.

But I would take a large waterproof duffle, lots of brands out there that make them. As above few rubbish bags and some tape you will be away.

Heres a hunt write up from our trip
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/mountain-goat/112730-kiwi-kazakh-ibex.html#post1067250

OP
huntstrong2850
Most 'normal' big game cartridge will work fine, Bring a gun your confident with and shoot often.

I’m certain of taking my 308 as it’s a gun I’ve used for years and confident with it.

Question for you after viewing your post you attached, I don’t own a spotter I’ve only ever used 15’s and 8’s no matter what I was hunting.
Do I need to get a spotter from someone to carry for this trip? Is it that much needed over using only the 15’s? I’ve had a few spotters... one from Vortex and one Leupold and I just hated trying to look thru them. I’ve seen where I can just rent a Swaro out of Montana to carry if it’s that needed. But no way is buying a Swaro in the budget for this coming year, and I was not happy at all with lesser brands. My 15’s are SLC’s HD.

JP100

WKR

I’m certain of taking my 308 as it’s a gun I’ve used for years and confident with it.

Question for you after viewing your post you attached, I don’t own a spotter I’ve only ever used 15’s and 8’s no matter what I was hunting.
Do I need to get a spotter from someone to carry for this trip? Is it that much needed over using only the 15’s? I’ve had a few spotters... one from Vortex and one Leupold and I just hated trying to look thru them. I’ve seen where I can just rent a Swaro out of Montana to carry if it’s that needed. But no way is buying a Swaro in the budget for this coming year, and I was not happy at all with lesser brands. My 15’s are SLC’s HD.

It depends what your after I guess.

None of our guides had spotters, and I would not expect them to on any Asian hunt. My uncle did not take one, the other hunter with us(Rob) had a smaller spotter and I took one.

Honestly the Ibex were pretty easy to judge, Im not claiming to be any expert, but you could spot em from along ways off and their horns are very big compared to body size. So you can easily see their horns.
If you think of an animal like whitetail deer sized with 45-50" horns sticking out you can see how the horns are easy to judge(compared to other capra species)

Id say 15s would be fine. Especially if you are used to using them all the time and have a good set up with them.

If you are dead on say shooting a 50"er a spotter would help. If you are after a nice mature billy and not too fussed if its 43 or 47 inches or whatever the big 15s will work fine.

If you have a spare pair of binos I would take them for your guide.

OP
huntstrong2850
It depends what your after I guess.

None of our guides had spotters, and I would not expect them to on any Asian hunt. My uncle did not take one, the other hunter with us(Rob) had a smaller spotter and I took one.

Honestly the Ibex were pretty easy to judge, Im not claiming to be any expert, but you could spot em from along ways off and their horns are very big compared to body size. So you can easily see their horns.
If you think of an animal like whitetail deer sized with 45-50" horns sticking out you can see how the horns are easy to judge(compared to other capra species)

Id say 15s would be fine. Especially if you are used to using them all the time and have a good set up with them.

If you are dead on say shooting a 50"er a spotter would help. If you are after a nice mature billy and not too fussed if its 43 or 47 inches or whatever the big 15s will work fine.

If you have a spare pair of binos I would take them for your guide.

Definitely don’t care if it’s 43 or 47 lol... and if happens to be 50 then great and if it’s 40 I’ll still be as happy ...

I’d definitely already thought about that as far as taking my guide something far as binos. And yeah very comfortable and well setup on 15’s as hunting and glassing coues is one of my favorite things to do.

idig4au

WKR
Just a few comments and opinions on my side from past experiences and multiple trips to Asia hunting

- I prefer 300 calibers. If hunting ibex and argali, I bring my 30-378 wby as I want something with good downrange energy given long shots. 500 yards plus is normal for ibex and argali. Don't over estimate their strength. I've seen mid asian ibex take 4 shon with 300 wby at 400+ yards before going down. I've also shot Tur and some of the desert species of sheep in that part of the world with my 300 wsm with no issue, but they are less tough. I would advise something with more oomph than a 308 for that hunt, but that is just me.

- I've brought back trophies with me before from central asia but not Tajikistan. Both times the vet and CITES paperwork not ready in time. Shipping is no drama usually if you use customs broker like Fauna and Flora out of NY. It is expensive so brace yourself. As with any hunt pay good attention to trophy care and salting as I've lost capes before from Tajikistan due to contaminated salt. Red mold is horrible. Consider picking up your own salt along the way if driving past villages and double-triple check everything is well salted!

-If bringing trophies back with you, I use dedicated duffel that is water proof. Usually they will put capes in canvas or burlap sack. I've been able to get life size capes in large dry sacks as an extra precaution. Just make sure skins are dry when you bring in or you will have problems if agent is picky.

-Port of entry is something to consider. If bringing back trophies, Houston has been hassle free for me. Avoid LAX, ORD and JFK. Bring all your USFWS and USDA paper work with you, fill out after trip and email to USFWS at the port of entry after your hunt to set up a time with your flight arrival so they are available to process the paperwork when you clear immigration. Makes it super easy. I pre-arrange everything with USFWS and customs before I leave so they know who I am and are expecting me. They greatly appreciate this as makes their job much easier. They will seal the bag and you can bring to your taxidermist. My taxidermist is USDA approved so that also helps.

- Always bring a spotting scope and tripod. Some local guides have but many do not.

Hope it helps. Tajikstan and the Pamirs are a special place. Lots of good memories there and some bad ones too. Its central asia, so go with the flow and when in Rome, do as the Romans do....