Swarovski 8x32 CL Review

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Check out Rokslide Prostaffer James Petker's review of the Swarovski 8x32 CL binoculars- the perfect backcountry binocular?

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/optics/298-swarovski-8x30-cl

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a video update to that review from James Petker:
[video=vimeo;109768903]http://vimeo.com/109768903[/video]

Kobuku68 I am sorry I missed your question a while back.... Unfortunately I have not compared them to the 10x25, but I will say they are in a different class, the 10x25 are more of a pocket series binocular and have a tunnel kind of view threw them. I personally think the 5mm of objective diameter difference makes a huge difference between the two...

TheBuzz

FNG
Not sure when this blog was written, but $879.00 would be a Deal today, any retailers have the "Best" pricing out there now, as they have broke the $1000 mark...still going to scrimp and save for this " category" of optic's, as they would be a good cross-over to flatland applications....stretching the dollar as far as I can. :)

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hi TheBuzz,
just published that a few months back. I'll reach out to James, the author, and have him chime in here about the $879, maybe he knows a secret we don't??

Brendan

WKR
I was back and forth debating 8x30 or 10x30, but I just picked up a set of the 10x30 - demo units, I believe 8x30 were the same price at $799 if they're still available. I wanted a little more magnification for those times I'm not carrying a spotter or larger binocs. Time will tell if I made the right call.

Might want to see if CameraLandNY has any more demo units if you're interested. They're trying to move inventory as they're moving to a new location end of the month.

dotman

WKR
Not sure when this blog was written, but $879.00 would be a Deal today, any retailers have the "Best" pricing out there now, as they have broke the $1000 mark...still going to scrimp and save for this " category" of optic's, as they would be a good cross-over to flatland applications....stretching the dollar as far as I can. :)

Cameralandny has the Zeiss conquest hd in 8x32 for $675 in the demos, you have to mention the 10% off moving sale when you order either over the phone or in the notes for online and they'll refund you from the $750 price. Their demos are pretty much new and have full warranty.

IMO the zeiss are the better deal especially at this price, also worth checking out the cabelas instinct hd 8x32 (Meopta).

http://www.opticstalk.com/swarovski-cl-or-conquest-hd_topic39688.html

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/bbimages/lb/2013/autumn/bins/Binocular_Review_top_picks.pdf

The weight of the CL's is impressive and Cameralandny will take 10% off new, might give Steve with s&s archery call as well, think he gives a rokslide discount.

Last edited:
Being as the Dollar gained on the Euro in the 2014, you would think that would translate into lower prices on European optics. We'll see.

Curtis C

WKR
I made the switch to 10x30 cl glass early 2014 and have been really happy with them. I wanted a smaller glass that could be used for predator hunting as well as big game. IMO these are a perfect bino for those carrying nice spotters while big game hunting.

Hey TheBuzz, sorry I missed you reply as I've been away for a bit. You are correct the CL have now broke the $1000 mark, the original $879 was during the swarovski anniversary sale which is now over.... Cameraland is probably your best route to go for them. You won't regret the purchase!

TheBuzz

FNG
Thanks for the feedback and options, I start by getting my " hands on" the listed choices. I might try to find a local camera shop or Big Box and see if renting for a day or weekend is even possible, when I narrow down to a few.

stephen b

WKR
As far as current pricing for Swarovski binoculars- the deal now is that we have entered a new year. I just looked at Eagle Optics prices for Swaro's and noticed most have gone up from end of last ( their reg. actual costs after the Swaro anniversary discount). For instance the 8x25 CL is now over the $800 mark ( $819; instead of the $799 or so they were at). And the 8x30 CL is now $999; instead of the $849 or $899 price they were at. Probably they had to bump up those (8x30) so they would not be so close to the 8x25's in price.

The Buzz- As mentioned above I would seriously take a look at 8x32's offerings that Zeiss Conquest HD, and the Cabelas Euro HD ( Meopta's); because IMO, to my eyes they are both a bit better than the current Swarovski 8x30 CL. Or even buy a used ( no longer made) 8x30 Swaro SLC- because IMO, it is optically better than the 8x30 CL that replaced it. Again, just my opinion.

Heck, before I would pay $1000 for a Swaro 8x30 CL, I would pay another $100-$200 and pick up a used older style Swaro 8x32 EL. Which IMO optically easily bests a 8x30 CL.

kaboku68

WKR
Kobuku68 I am sorry I missed your question a while back.... Unfortunately I have not compared them to the 10x25, but I will say they are in a different class, the 10x25 are more of a pocket series binocular and have a tunnel kind of view threw them. I personally think the 5mm of objective diameter difference makes a huge difference between the two...

I have a pair of both.(John Nicholson is my homeboy!) The 8X30CL gather light better but I can sit with the 10X25CL Pockets for a much longer time because of 17 mm of eye relief and the six additional lens that aren't field flatteners but they give the best articulation of image in any pocket.

The 8X30 CL are specifically set for moose hunting in the brush while the 10X25CL Pockets are my ultralight minimalist set up for sheep and goats.

Just thought you folks that if you look at them make sure that you compare these two bins. The 10X25CLs are revised.

Sincerely,
Thomas

kaboku68, thanks for sharing your experience. It just goes to show that Swarovski makes something for all types of hunting/glassing!

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
I concur with dotman and stephen B, the Zeiss 8x32 HD's are better glass at a better price. I have looked thru the Swaro's and own the Zeiss. A friend who is a Swaro dealer has the CL's and is underwhelmed too.

huntinrod

Lil-Rokslider
I have the swarovski 8x30 cl and I think they are about 17oz....tough to beat them!

The Durability of the CL's is unbeatable as well... The thing I like about the Swarovski products over the others is the true image that you see threw them, there is no tinting or color distortion which equates to less strain on your eyes and brain which allows for longer more comfortable glassing sessions.