Camp Month: Food for a Day, by Brock Akers

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Ever wonder what you’d eat on a backpack hunt? Brock Akers, Train to Hunt Director, is here to share his simple and time-tested “food-for-a-day” list. I can almost smell the water boiling!

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-12-00/backpacking/338-food-for-a-day

Last edited:

jcoop7

FNG
I've done the salami and cheese roll ups and thy are tasty as can be on the mountain plus very filling, I add a mustard packet or two with mine to give that extra flavor. Good article and tips, thanks Brock!!

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've done the salami and cheese roll ups and thy are tasty as can be on the mountain plus very filling, I add a mustard packet or two with mine to give that extra flavor. Good article and tips, thanks Brock!!
I agree, they are very filling. I may have to try the mustard packet. That's a good idea!

Brock,
on your instant potatoes do you take them when hunting from a base camp? Basically is it worth it to you to pack the jetboil around all day?
Thanks

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brock,
on your instant potatoes do you take them when hunting from a base camp? Basically is it worth it to you to pack the jetboil around all day?
Thanks
Yeah the potatoes are always in my food sack. They don't get eaten every time though. I will mostly eat them after dinner if I am still hungry. If it's cold enough I'll eat them for lunch. My jet boil goes everywhere, coffee or tea is nice mid day. Or if I find myself away from camp after dark I can always eat my dinner then.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Brock,
Thanks

Not Brock, but I'll answer anyway. He and I both pack our Jetboils on most day hunts. We both like to have the option of hot lunch and hot tea or coffee is hard to beat when your glassing all day in the cold. Most times we also leave camp early and hike to our glassing spot and eat our breakfast while the sun comes up.

Thanks for the input guys. There are some days where that would be nice but not sure I'm ready to pack a heat source around just yet.

Ray

WKR
For calories per ounce options you can use coconut flesh/meat. The costco stuff is 114 calories/oz and is a good mix of fats and carbs. You can also take small packs of olive oil or coconut oil to add into a meal for additional calories. The oil is heavy when compared to mashed taters, but the calorie density is pretty high and being fat its better for longer lasting body fuel.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Nature valley has those new granola pouches in a bag
They added protein to it also. I take a few of those on multi day trips. Great for grazing. I also love trail mix. Great article

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brock how do you like the Hawk Vittles meals?

I am having mixed emotions on the HV so far. Some taste great, some bland. You can easily just add a little seasoning to the bland ones if you wanted I suppose. My biggest gripe (and its not a very big one) is when you go to pour to the boiling water in. The bag has no structure (its a vac sealed plastic bag) so as you pour water in the bag, it wants to collapse. Burns the shit out of your hands, lol. Then because its in a non insulating bag you have to put the bag in something so you don't lose all your heat. A beanie or insulated pouch (you can buy them from HV) works well.

Some may say the above issues are fixed easily "by doing this or doing that"... Different strokes for different folks I guess. I want the simplest way possible to eat dinner. The search continues.

I just ordered some Alpine Aire to try out.

brewer427

WKR
I am having mixed emotions on the HV so far. Some taste great, some bland. You can easily just add a little seasoning to the bland ones if you wanted I suppose. My biggest gripe (and its not a very big one) is when you go to pour to the boiling water in. The bag has no structure (its a vac sealed plastic bag) so as you pour water in the bag, it wants to collapse. Burns the shit out of your hands, lol. Then because its in a non insulating bag you have to put the bag in something so you don't lose all your heat. A beanie or insulated pouch (you can buy them from HV) works well.

Some may say the above issues are fixed easily "by doing this or doing that"... Different strokes for different folks I guess. I want the simplest way possible to eat dinner. The search continues.

That is exactly what a gentleman I spoke to last week said. Last season he wasn't paying attention and I guess the bag collapsed and he scalded the hell out of his forearm.

I also ordered a few Alpine Aire meals that are supposed to be in tomarrow, so gonna give them a shot next week while I try to track down a bear and see how they taste, as well as how I feel after eating them, compared to MH.

TJ

WKR

I have to agree on the HV. I did buy the insulating pouch but there is still the problem of not enough room for error in how much water you put in or if you don't open the bag correctly. I also did not like the extended time it took for them to re-hydrate.

I haven't tried the Alpine Aire yet. I'd be interested in what others thought of them.