Article: The Ultimate Backcountry Muzzleloader

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Knight Muzzleloaders released their Ultra-Lite Muzzleloader last year. Rokslide prostaffer James Petker put one through the paces last fall on a Colorado bull elk hunt. Read the review and see why Knight might have the corner on the Ultimate Backcountry Muzzleloader:

The Ultimate Backcountry Muzzleloader - Rokslide

Last edited:
James... Awesome article!!!

When I first discussed this rifle and suggested to others it was only going to weigh 6# people thought I might be nuts. A 6# muzzleloader it will with recoil. Will not work!

During the restrictive Idaho ML season I shoot a Bull Shop 460 grain lead conical driven by 90 grains of T7-3f from the rifle. I do feel it has about the same recoil factor my Tikka Lite 300 Win Mag does. So yes there is felt recoil but it is not huge at all. The largest effect of shooting the rifle is the big bang you hear which tells your mind BIG recoil...

One of the things that helps this rifle absorb some of the recoil is the Kevlar stock and how the stock is constructed. The Kevlar stock reduces the weight of the stock greatly. One of the other big improvements to the stock and the rifle is the aluminum bedding block that is molded into the stock. This block serves some different purposes: 1. one it helps maintain the accuracy of the rifle over time 2. it aids in the rifle maintaining zero in all weather - even taking the barreled action of the stock and re-installing. 3. aids in reducing recoil buy directing a portion of the recoil downwards through the pistol grip.

Pictures of the embedded block in the stock

Another one of the other weight reducers... the barreled action has been fine tuned and the barrel has been reduced in bulk. With the quality of the GM stainless barrel, Knight and GM were able to reduce the outside diameter significantly and still allow Knight to maintain its ability to shoot all ML BP's or subs.

This pic shows the dramatic difference. A Mountaineer barrel on the left and the Ulite on the right.

Tom Dreschler and Gordy Edwards should be given a lot of credit for the development of the Knigh Ultra-Lite.

Congrats James! on that fine bull you put on the ground... One of my biggest complaints about shooting the ULiite! Once you pull the trigger on an animal like the fun and thrill of the hunt is mostly over! And the work really begins as soon as you draw that knife out and place it in your hand! After the animal is out and processed the fun begins anew!

Nateinia

Lil-Rokslider
This sounds like a great muzzle loader. I don't live in a western state so if I bought the western edition (future hunts) what would I need to shoot 209 primers.

This sounds like a great muzzle loader. I don't live in a western state so if I bought the western edition (future hunts) what would I need to shoot 209 primers.

A 209 breech plug and a different bolt housing - you use the same hammer assembly either way...

Last year the cost was about $80.

One thing I do not think either of us mentioned in our write up. The trigger assembly is fully adjustable for the pull you happen to like.

dotman

WKR
Also if your not comfortable adjusting your trigger knight will adj the trigger to your desired setting for free, you just remove it and send it to them.

LaGriz

WKR
James,
I have a Knight BigHorn that came with 3 ignition systems. Equipped with a 26" "bull barrel" that it is pretty heavy (close to 8lbs). Could my Knight rifle be upgraded with some light weight componets? Also, is the ultra-lite muzzeloader availible in .52 cal. or .54 cal? What is the list price of this weapon?

Regards
Scott

Last edited:
James,
I have a Knight BigHorn that came with 3 ignition systems. Equipped with a 26" "bull barrel" that it is pretty heavy (close to 8lbs). Could my Knight rifle be upgraded with some light weight componets?

Sorry I just saw this post - it is probably to late... but there really isn't much you can do about changing the weight of the Bighorn unless you were to purchase a Wolverine barreled assembly. This would reduce the weight some what another thought would be to switch to a thumbhole stock - that would take several ounces of the weight.

Also, is the ultra-lite muzzeloader availible in .52 cal. or .54 cal? What is the list price of this weapon?

Regards
Scott

The ULite is only available in 50 cal at this time. The price - if you go online you will find the price in the $800 range for a regular ULIte - if you go the Western route you will end up in the $890 range.

This link will give some information

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist?k=knight

Sorry everyone I missed many of the above post. Like Sabotloader pointed out I don't believe there is a way to really economically make your bighorn into what the Ultra-lite is. My suggestion is sell it and buy one lol, you wont regret it. Holiday sports up in Burlington, WA is a great place to get your hands on any of the Knight Line up, Anthon has them all and great prices as well. Hoping to have mine in the field here real soon! Good luck to everyone this season make it a memorable one!

Cgeb

WKR
If you can find a Knight American muzzleloader, it's a "poor mans" light weight muzzleloader. I believe its right at 7 lbs and can get it with the magnum .209 ignition. 22" green mountain barrel, tupperware stock. Makes a great brush gun, but might fit into the light weight category. I have personally adjusted the trigger although its not supposed to be adjustable.

It's an older model, made to fit at the low end cost range. Finding new might be a challenge, it's basically a modified Wolverine.

Deserat

FNG
I'm shopping for my first muzzle loader and am pretty keen on the Knight Ultra Lite. I am a resident of Wyoming and mostly hunt here, though I have been saving points in neighboring states and keep an eye on opportune OTC hunts. I'm still trying to get square on the regs for ID, CO, and UT and what I would need in the Ultra Lite to be able to hunt those states plus WY. For WY, I'd want a 209 primer system and a scope, but I'd like to have to open sights and the ability to change the priming system. Looking at the Knight website, it seems I can buy the UL with 209 system and open sights? If I wanted scope mounts, would I need to have them drilled? Or would I be better off getting the non western version (does this come pre drilled for scope mounts?) and then having it drilled for an open sight at the muzzle when/if I need to? Also, to get the sight back by the breech as opposed to down on the bore, I assume I could use a weaver base on the rear scope mount, correct? It looks like picking up a different breech plug and bolt housing is pretty straight forward if I start with the 209 system?

Thanks for the help. Kinda mixed up trying to figure this all out.

avodude

Lil-Rokslider
Deserat -Idaho reg's are: percussion/musket cap (no 209 primers), lead only bullet (no sabots or jacketed bullets), loose powder (no pellets), peep or open sights only, cap/primer must be exposed to the environment and at least .45 cal for deer and at least .50 cal for elk.

I couldn't tell you what the interchangeability of the Ultra Lite would be though. I'm curious to know myself.

FURMAN

WKR
I'm shopping for my first muzzle loader and am pretty keen on the Knight Ultra Lite. I am a resident of Wyoming and mostly hunt here, though I have been saving points in neighboring states and keep an eye on opportune OTC hunts. I'm still trying to get square on the regs for ID, CO, and UT and what I would need in the Ultra Lite to be able to hunt those states plus WY. For WY, I'd want a 209 primer system and a scope, but I'd like to have to open sights and the ability to change the priming system. Looking at the Knight website, it seems I can buy the UL with 209 system and open sights? If I wanted scope mounts, would I need to have them drilled? Or would I be better off getting the non western version (does this come pre drilled for scope mounts?) and then having it drilled for an open sight at the muzzle when/if I need to? Also, to get the sight back by the breech as opposed to down on the bore, I assume I could use a weaver base on the rear scope mount, correct? It looks like picking up a different breech plug and bolt housing is pretty straight forward if I start with the 209 system?

Thanks for the help. Kinda mixed up trying to figure this all out.

You would want the western edition and then you could order the 209 conversion. That would cover all states.

Deserat

FNG
You would want the western edition and then you could order the 209 conversion. That would cover all states.

Thanks for the help, guys. Does the western addition come drilled for scope mounts? I see in the original article that Robby linked to, a scope was used on the western model to sight in the rifle.

FURMAN

WKR
Thanks for the help, guys. Does the western addition come drilled for scope mounts? I see in the original article that Robby linked to, a scope was used on the western model to sight in the rifle.

Yes.