The "Big" Cooler Showdown, by Travis Bertrand

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

With temperatures pushing 100 all across the West, there is no better time to post the biggest review I've personally seen on the top coolers from the top name brands.

Rokslide staff member Travis Bertrand (Drhorsepower) not only conducted a very thorough and unbiased ice-retention test (the results might surprise you), he also reviewed all the features we forget to think about when we buy a cooler like handles, drain plugs, latches, accessories and more.

With the thermometer in Reno pushing 91 and a measured surface temperature of 124 degrees one day, Travis held nothing back in his tests. This will be one best cooler reviews you'll see this summer. Take it away Travis:

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/essentials/363-the-big-cooler-showdown

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Nice work Travis. Coolers are the unsung heroes of my hunts. Keeps the beer cold and the meat from spoiling.

Colberjs

WKR
Nice write up! May I ask why the Grizzly wasn't included in the review? My local bow shop carries them and I've been considering purchasing one but I would've liked to have seen how it performed in comparison to the ones you tested.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great writeup. Got my dad a canyon outfitter two years ago and have been impressed. Thanks for including a couple coolers I've never heard of options are always great when throwing that kind of money down on a cooler

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice write up! May I ask why the Grizzly wasn't included in the review? My local bow shop carries them and I've been considering purchasing one but I would've liked to have seen how it performed in comparison to the ones you tested.

What would be your reason to choose the grizzly over the canyon?

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member

Thank you guys! Grizzly was offered a spot in the review multiple times, multiple ways but I never heard back from them. Oh well.

Shrek

WKR
Great test and writeup. Now for a second round how about taking the same set of coolers and adding some Coleman extremes and igloos into the mix for a solid value comparison ? I run cheap Coleman extremes that I buy for $50-$70 for 120qt and 150qt coolers and $30 for 50qt to 70 qt size. I need to be convinced I'm getting some value for 10 times the cost. I can buy 20lbs of ice for $1.25 locally from the ice machine down the street. I can put two deer in a 120qt and $2.50 worth of ice in a room temp cooler and set it to drain and five days later I have to pull a sheet of ice off the deer to process them. I'm trying to process spending $600 for 100qts of premium cooler space vs $60 for 120qts of cooler space. I've got ten year old coolers in my storage right now so I'm getting a lot of years from cheap coolers and they hold ice longer than I hold meat or generally hunt without a trip to town to clean up and get a bite of fresh food. If one gets stolen from the back of my truck I'm just aggravated not apoplectic. When I buy new coolers I take the hinges off and put a piece of 3" nylon strap under them and screw the hinges back on top and they hold forever.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I still can't believe that 35, 40, and 45qt are the most common sizes that guys are using today (maybe more fishermen in the world than hunters). I would think you'd need several of those for one deboned elk. I always take my 200qt IRP Marine cooler and a cheaper 120qt Igloo when I go hunting. I can't imagine using a bunch of the smaller ones......I'd go broke just on coolers.

Another question.......yes, there's no doubt that a pre-cooled cooler will perform better. However, how many guys have access to a walk-in cooler to do that, especially if they take the coolers with them empty and then fill them with ice after putting an animal down. I would think that would be a little more of a real world test.

Shrek

WKR
I precool mine by filling with a ice slush with a cap full of bleach in it to super chlorinate it. Toss the meat in the super chlorinated ice slush for a few minutes while I clean up the knives and wash my myself up a little. I then drain the cooler. Then I push the meat to one side and put @ 6" of ice down the push the meat up on the ice and do the other half of the cooler. Spead the meat evenly over the ice and top it off with ice. Open the drain and put the cooler up on blocks and a 4x4 in the back and a 2x4 in the front under the cooler. Drain for five days or until the drainage runs mostly clear of blood. I put my coolers in the shade and if I don't open them there is plenty of ice left when it's time to process the meat. I used to keep gutted fisn this way for 21 days at a time when I commercial fished. Never had a need for many hundreds of dollars coolers but I'm a value shopper. I'll pay for Swarovski , Kifaru , Zamberlan boots because I feel I get something for my money but I haven't been convinced I get any value from a Yeti or like cooler.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you guys! Grizzly was offered a spot in the review multiple times, multiple ways but I never heard back from them. Oh well.

We deal with this all the time. If you don't see a certain brand tested, it might be because the manufacturers either are too busy to play ball or they really don't want to go head to head.

dotman

WKR
Great test and writeup. Now for a second round how about taking the same set of coolers and adding some Coleman extremes and igloos into the mix for a solid value comparison ? I run cheap Coleman extremes that I buy for $50-$70 for 120qt and 150qt coolers and $30 for 50qt to 70 qt size. I need to be convinced I'm getting some value for 10 times the cost. I can buy 20lbs of ice for $1.25 locally from the ice machine down the street. I can put two deer in a 120qt and $2.50 worth of ice in a room temp cooler and set it to drain and five days later I have to pull a sheet of ice off the deer to process them. I'm trying to process spending $600 for 100qts of premium cooler space vs $60 for 120qts of cooler space. I've got ten year old coolers in my storage right now so I'm getting a lot of years from cheap coolers and they hold ice longer than I hold meat or generally hunt without a trip to town to clean up and get a bite of fresh food. If one gets stolen from the back of my truck I'm just aggravated not apoplectic. When I buy new coolers I take the hinges off and put a piece of 3" nylon strap under them and screw the hinges back on top and they hold forever.

There is a similar test out there that includes the Coleman, can't remember where I read it but the Coleman did hold its own from what I remember.

Nice write up Travis.

Nice write up, and thorough test. I recently won a Grizzly cooler in a raffle, so I was disappointed to see they didn't participate.

CaseyU

WKR
Nice work Travis!!! Feel free to shoot one of those used up coolers my way ;) as usual. Fantastic write up!

Colberjs

WKR
What would be your reason to choose the grizzly over the canyon?

That's what I wanted to know. I was just wanting to explore all my options before dropping a good chunk of coin on an ice chest. I try to support my local businesses and I do a lot of business with this shop so if they were comparable in price and quality I'd prefer to give him my hard-earned money as opposed to an online retailer.

That's a good reason. Thanks for your reply.