Article: Merino/Synthetic Baselayers for the Modern Hunter, by Dave Chenault

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hey Roksliders. Please welcome Dave Chenault. You may have seen him on the forums before. Besides a Rokslide member, he's a great writer with good knowledge on clothing for the backcountry hunter. Check out his first Rokslide article on the Merino/Synthetics and what might be the best choice for your layering system.

If you have any questions or comments, post up. Dave will be checking in periodically

Take it away, Dave!

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-...etic-blended-baselayers-for-the-modern-hunter

Last edited:
Thanks for the article Dave. I learned a lot. One of the better ones on here in a while, for me. Been following your blog for a couple years too and it's been great. I've lived less than 2 hours from the Bob for my whole life and still haven't been. That needs to change; maybe this fall :)

DaveC

WKR
I've lived less than 2 hours from the Bob for my whole life and still haven't been. That needs to change; maybe this fall :)

That's just wrong. ;)

I don't know a ton about hunting there, but if you want some suggestions for backpacking, floating, and fishing I'd be glad to talk your ear off.

LBFowler

WKR
I've had a longstanding bias against poly (probably from my highschool gym-class days in Under Armor) and as soon as I found merino baselayers I never looked back. I started in polypropylene base layers when I was younger and dependent on "Dad's outfitters" but around 2007 I bought my first Icebreaker (200g, long sleeve). I wore it for about 300 hours (non-continuous, I took it off to sleep and shower) before it's first washing and have been a pretty big advocate ever since (polypro takes what, like 3 hours before it smells like wet socks?). I've worn a merino shirt at least a few days a week since 2007 and have yet to throw one out but I do have a lot of small holes (oddly enough over my belt buckle seems the first to go).
Only recently have a bought some pure-poly shirts and I don't wear them terribly often, but I have gotten curious about the blended shirts you mention. My afore-mentioned biases make me more attracted to the nylon-blend but I should probably put the past behind me and try both.

One of my favorite merino garments is actually a 64/36 wool/nylon blend, which is both durable and very wind resistant but isn't exactly a baselayer. This positive experience has me very eager for the 73/27 wool/nylon "combat wool" from cordura but I haven't seen any actual products yet.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There you go, Dave. I knew you could write in a normal fashion. Thanks for tailoring the article to us simple Roksliders.;)

Back when I started hunting I think cotton was the norm even for base layers. So I quickly found disdain for any cotton garments when there was any chance of sweat or moisture. I can remember days of working on the farm wearing a cotton t-shirt and jeans, and then attempting to "get out" of them when they were soaked in sweat. Like trying to escape from a straight jacket.

I still like some poly shirts for working in, and even some day hunting trips when I know I can change at the end of the day......specifically the Silvertec ones. Very comfortable to wear in the heat and easy to get off when they are sweated out.

Thanks for the article.

DaveC

WKR
Thanks guys.

Lots of interesting stuff happening with baselayers today. Patagonia just released a 51/49 merino/poly blend with a lofted knit construction that sounds similar to Kuiu Nuyarn. The very light microgrid Sitka is using in their new lightweight core stuff looks very nice and should dry exceptionally fast. Hoping to get hold of the later soon.

One rather curious thing to note is that while lycra/spandex fibers have low moisture regain, I've never had a baselayer (or midlayer) with more than 5% spandex which didn't end up being a moisture trap, and 0% is always preferable. I'm still looking for a clear account of why this is. I find it ironic that Sitka published their recent (and excellent) article about cold and wet weather clothing systems, which emphasized eliminating moisture traps within your clothing system, when they're guilty of over-using spandex in many of their pieces.

Thanks guys.

Lots of interesting stuff happening with baselayers today. Patagonia just released a 51/49 merino/poly blend with a lofted knit construction that sounds similar to Kuiu Nuyarn. The very light microgrid Sitka is using in their new lightweight core stuff looks very nice and should dry exceptionally fast. Hoping to get hold of the later soon.

One rather curious thing to note is that while lycra/spandex fibers have low moisture regain, I've never had a baselayer (or midlayer) with more than 5% spandex which didn't end up being a moisture trap, and 0% is always preferable. I'm still looking for a clear account of why this is. I find it ironic that Sitka published their recent (and excellent) article about cold and wet weather clothing systems, which emphasized eliminating moisture traps within your clothing system, when they're guilty of over-using spandex in many of their pieces.

While it's a great article and I think it's a shot across the bow from Sitka to merino only believers. The article doesn't pertain to very many people or their situations in my opinion but plays off the fact that special operators do it so of course you should to. If you hunt in Alaska or late season guys in Montana, Wyoming and such then I'm sure it's great, but for 99% of people it's a moot point.

weaver

WKR
Enjoyed reading the article.
Hopefully more companies get involved and drive the innovation of blends.
I am mostly happy with my FL layers but its becoming harder to justify the cost with the limited durability.

I always believed that a well worn, light merino shirt with a few small holes was the mark of a real hunter. <g> I usually bow hunt wearing only merino zip tees up top and replace em when they get thrashed. Bought some used Kuiu shirts, guess I'll hafta try em.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
Wonderful article. Makes me rethink my base. For long periods sitting in a stand while whitetail hunting I had been using heavy weight minus33 merino base. Maybe should try lighter wool and see how it goes.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I am mostly happy with my FL layers but its becoming harder to justify the cost with the limited durability.

I have a FL Llano that probably has ~150 days of purely hunting wear that looks almost brand new. But I never wear it as an outer garment. I think that makes a huge difference in keeping them in good shape.

weaver

WKR
I agree although I've gotten holes in one pair of boxers without much use. My other pairs have held up fine.

I used to wear a ss wool tshirt under a long sleeve synthetic shirt but I prefer to only wear one layer when its warm.

I have a FL Llano that probably has ~150 days of purely hunting wear that looks almost brand new. But I never wear it as an outer garment. I think that makes a huge difference in keeping them in good shape.

They hold up well, but when it's 95 it's tuff to put anything on over it.

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
I love merino but am slowly switching to the merino blends and may even try some of the new all synthetics. Great article, love reading your stuff.

DaveC

WKR
While it's a great article and I think it's a shot across the bow from Sitka to merino only believers. The article doesn't pertain to very many people or their situations in my opinion but plays off the fact that special operators do it so of course you should to. If you hunt in Alaska or late season guys in Montana, Wyoming and such then I'm sure it's great, but for 99% of people it's a moot point.

Agreed, though I'd say something akin to "90% of folks won't have much cause to think super-critically about their clothing system 90% of the time." Spend enough time in the field and eventually, regardless of location, you'll get bitten.

DaveC

WKR

Yep, if you always have a layer over it and wash/dry carefully 100% merino can last a very long time.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
older thread, but still very good information

a few things that have changed- Patagonia no longer offers their Merino 1 base layers (but may in the future)- it’s been my go to base layer for cool to cold weather as well as for multi-day trips ; Rab still carries their blend and Sitka’s new lightweight merino is now a blend (75:25) so may be worth looking into

curious if there are yet other options out there as well?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Patagonia no longer offers their Merino 1 base layers (but may in the future)- it’s been my go to base layer for cool to cold weather as well as for multi-day trips ; Rab still carries their blend and Sitka’s new lightweight merino is now a blend (75:25) so may be worth looking into

About two years ago I tried Patagonia's merino/capilene blend shirts. I didn't care for them. I also haven't liked KUIU's blended merino shirts, and continue to come back to 100% merino for my base layers.