Synthetic Insulation Technology for Hunting

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Here's another great article from Rokslide Member Dave Chenault, this one on how understanding the synthetic fabrics manufacturers use can make or break a hunt.

Dave writes about Polartech Alpha's best performance characteristic, why the best known insulator might also be the coldest, what clothing companies won't tell you about Primaloft, and why Climashield is found more in sleeping bags than in hunting jackets.

I promise that if you'll take the time to read this article, you'll be among the few informed consumers when shopping hunting clothing.

You can also ask Dave questions or give feedback right here on this thread.

Article is here:
http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/clothing/367-synthetic-insulation-technology-for-hunting

Last edited:

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
Another great article. I've only ever used down and 99% of the time under a shell. Looking to pick up a synthetic jacket this year and been looking at jackets that use Polartec Alpha or also considering the KUIU Kenai.

Was surprised at the life span of the primaloft. Losing 30-40% of insulating potential in six months? Trashed in two years? Any rokslide experiences of this?

Ironman8

WKR
Dave,

Do you have any experience/knowledge of how the "Coreloft" used in Arc'teryx's Atom jackets stacks up to the ones you mentioned in the article?

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
Dave,
Another great read from you. Thank you! I own a fair amount of Primaloft One products and I am very surprised on the described loss of insulation. I haven't noticed this with my light to moderate use of the products. What can you tell us about the mysterious 37.5 by Cocona insulation used by First Lite in the Uncompahgre puffy jacket? I'm very interested in your thoughts.
Dan

DaveC

WKR
Thanks everyone.

I've not owned or used an Uncompahgre or Coreloft jacket, so I hesitate to comment. I'd assume they're fairly close to Primaloft in performance as both insulations are thin in the way only Primaloft is.

I should also mention a few caveats about insulation degradation in Primaloft jackets. First, the loss in insulation power only applies to the insulation itself, not the shell and liner fabrics. With something like the Xenon the insulating value of those very air-impermeable fabrics is considerable. Second, "regular use" means daily or close to it. If your hunting puffy spends 6+ months in the closet you'll probably get bored and buy something new before you wear it out.

Mike7

WKR
Dave, why wouldn't a separate rain shell type jacket put on over the Polartec Alpha jacket when you sit down to glass cause it to be warmer like a regular Primaloft jacket that already has the denser outer shell material?

If I am really hot and sweaty in cold weather as it is now after an uphill hike, I usually have to wait a short time in cold wind, drying out some before I put my puffy on for a sit.

DaveC

WKR
Dave, why wouldn't a separate rain shell type jacket put on over the Polartec Alpha jacket when you sit down to glass cause it to be warmer like a regular Primaloft jacket that already has the denser outer shell material?

If I am really hot and sweaty in cold weather as it is now after an uphill hike, I usually have to wait a short time in cold wind, drying out some before I put my puffy on for a sit.

Mike, it's an effective way to use your clothing system for sure, but I just don't find the 80 g/meter Alpha coat plus rain jacket to be as warm statically as a Primaloft coat with similar weight insulation and a very windproof shell fabric. These more breathable puffy coats are going to be great for a lot of hunters but if folks buy them with the expectation that they'll also double as reasonably warm static insulating piece.

LJ Buck

WKR
Dave,
Another great read from you. Thank you! I own a fair amount of Primaloft One products and I am very surprised on the described loss of insulation. I haven't noticed this with my light to moderate use of the products. What can you tell us about the mysterious 37.5 by Cocona insulation used by First Lite in the Uncompahgre puffy jacket? I'm very interested in your thoughts.
Dan

I would also be very interested in the thoughts of the FL Uncompahgre?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Very interesting and well written article Dave!!! The gear nerd in me really enjoyed it and I learned a lot. Thanks for breaking it down!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What can you tell us about the mysterious 37.5 by Cocona insulation used by First Lite in the Uncompahgre puffy jacket?

I was not impressed with the warmth of the Uncompahgre puffy at all......at least in a static setting. My cheap Cabela's clearance Primaloft jacket is warmer than it was. I even found a regular weight fleece jacket to be warmer. And my down puffy's were substantially warmer. I don't care about the science behind insulation.....only my real world experiences. (Which may differ from others experiences.)

TXCO

WKR
Are there any comments or material comparison in regards to the Kenai? I saw it on the chart but no mention of it beyond topical.

TXCO

WKR
Interesting LJ. How were you using it- active or still?

Also, thanks Dave for the great article. I failed to mention how much I liked it in my original post.

Mike7

WKR
Thanks Dave for the article and info...very interesting. I guess I will stick with my current comfortable system of primaloft/down for sitting and mid-weight merino or wind shirt (+ my rain shell with pitzips if needed) for moving when it is really cold.