Extended Range Muzzleloading, by Jim Carr

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Here is the long awaited PART II to Jim Carr's series on improving your muzzleloader's accuracy and range. See Extended Range Muzzleloading here:

Extended Range Muzzeloading

If you missed Part I, Maximizing Muzzleloader Accuracy with Peep Sights, click here:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...eloader-Accuracy-with-Peep-Sights-by-Jim-Carr

I happen to know Jim is in the hills scouting bulls right now, but he'll be checking this thread soon in case you have questions. Make sure you subscribe to the thread so you don't miss his reply.

Last edited:
Do you hold your front sight over your target or just below it? I have found that just touching the sight to the bottom of where I want to hit helps me keep on target as opposed to covering it up.

This is what I have done with pistols. I have not yet shot with my peep on my muzzleloader. Still shooting scoped trying to find the most accurate load.

I have basically the same question except also for the front sight, I see you are setup with a fiber optic bead. I've read that for longer ranges you really have to use the top of the front sight as the POI. I've also seen guys that use and inverted triangle for a front sight and use the tip of the triangle as their POI. This seems most logical relative to not covering up your target at longer ranges. I thought the article might discuss this a bit but didn't see much discussion and it seems like that is a critical point for longer range shooting. Just thought I'd see what others think about the front sight.

dotman

WKR
Yup very interested in knowing more. Going to order up the Williams fp-legend-tk for my knight ulite and my necg may come up for sale after this season.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
dotman I have read elsewhere that the legend might not fit the ulite without some modification due to the stock being thicker than the other models, just something to think about.

dotman

WKR
Yeah I read are issues if bottomed out but that once sited in should be good to go, hope so. Gonna take a chance on it.

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry about the lack of clarification. Yes I use very top tip of my front sight and move it up to my aim point.For instance if im shooting at a 6 inch circle the tip will be centered in the circle so I can still see the top half of the circle.Yes You can bottom out on the adjustable .But if you sight it in and mark your ranges you will know where you bottom out.

paulbybee

FNG
Good article! I just need to find an adjustable peep that I can use on my Mountaineer without modification.

paulbybee

FNG
Wimp ha! Maybe with the new synthetic stock I have, I will try some modifications to make it work 🤔

Thanks for both Part 1 and Part 2 of this article. I know this is a super old thread, but it was the first one that popped up when I clicked on "Gear" and then "Muzzleloader". I'm new to Rockslide but definitely not new to hunting. I set up a Muzzleloader hunt with a guide in Colorado for my dad this fall of 2021. I get to go and be a grunt...I'll carry dad's gear...he's 71. I'm in the process of getting a Peep Site for my muzzleloader so this article, even though it was old, was still very helpful to me.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for both Part 1 and Part 2 of this article. I know this is a super old thread, but it was the first one that popped up when I clicked on "Gear" and then "Muzzleloader". I'm new to Rockslide but definitely not new to hunting. I set up a Muzzleloader hunt with a guide in Colorado for my dad this fall of 2021. I get to go and be a grunt...I'll carry dad's gear...he's 71. I'm in the process of getting a Peep Site for my muzzleloader so this article, even though it was old, was still very helpful to me.
@Jim Carr Will appreciate your feedback. He still shooting perps sites, if you look on our homepage, he just reviewed a Dialable peep site for us. Good luck this fall