Backcountry Proofing Your Bow

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Rokslide member Shaun Smith is a very knowledgeable backcountry bowhunter. Earlier this year, he gave us a good article on "Practicing for Success"

Shaun is back to give us some needed advice on keeping your most important piece of gear functioning during a backcountry archery hunt- your bow!

Backcountry Proofing Your Bow

Last edited:

jrc645

FNG
Do you have any tips or be able to guide me to an article for carrying a bow into the backcountry? Do you use a bow sling or strap it to your pack? I just worry about messing up my sight or anything else by hiking miles in. Thanks.

Do you have any tips or be able to guide me to an article for carrying a bow into the backcountry? Do you use a bow sling or strap it to your pack? I just worry about messing up my sight or anything else by hiking miles in. Thanks.

I carry in my hand. I’ve had some falls
Before down steep hills and would hate to have my bow on my pack. A kifaru gun bearer works well for carrying a bow on backpack thou

MattB

WKR
Use all carbon arrow shafts.

Unless I am packing in before season or out with my tag filled, I almost always hand carry my bow.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Is it just me or is the link taking anyone else to a 2012 product review, not the article in the title?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Is it just me or is the link taking anyone else to a 2012 product review, not the article in the title?
Yip that is an ancient article so through all the updates, the link was lost. However, I'm your huckleberry:

Thanks for linking back to the article. It’s a great topic and not discussed all that often. If packing in or climbing I usually use a sight cover, bow sling to cover the cams and strap it to my pack. It‘s easy for pins to get ripped from sights when focused on getting to where we’re going to hunt. Sturdy components & accessories are more apt to function when needed - all carbon arrows, fixed pin sight w/metal housing, etc.