Hilleberg Anjan 2 GT Review, by Josh Boyd

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

If you missed the intro on the clothing forum, please welcome fellow backcountry hunter, Josh Boyd. Besides spending 200 days afield yearly, Josh also writes about his hunts and gear extensively in many of the leading publications like Bowhunter Magazine, Bow & Arrow Hunting, and Extreme Elk Magazine, to name just a few.

Last fall, Rokslide sponsor 1-Shot Gear lined up Josh with a Hilleberg Anjan 2 GT (extended vestibule) to test in the Montana backcountry, and test he did. He is here now to share his experience with this shelter. If you've ever wondered if a Hilleberg is worth the cost, this review might answer that question.

Also, if you've contracted the ounce-counting disease so prevalent on Rokslide, Josh will show you the mods to trim a half- pound off a Hilleberg in this review

attachment.php

Check out Josh's review here
Hilleberg Anjan 2 GT Review

attachment.php

Last edited:

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
If anyone has any questions or comments on this tent or the modifications I made, post them here and I'll try my best to answer them.
-Josh

It seems to me that the dark color will make this thing unbearably hot in the summer if not pitched in the shade. Can you confirm/deny?

Good review, thanks.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
It didn't seem any more hot than a typical two-walled tent. The ventilation built into the tent really helps a lot. I rolled the fly up on the non-entrance end it was really comfy for mid-day naps.

If the dark green color is a turn off it does come in red as well.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The pics of your mods to lighten up the tent were awesome, thanks for the write up Josh!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The pics of your mods to lighten up the tent were awesome, thanks for the write up Josh!

I agree, you can save weight with any tent doing that!! Going to have to modify my Big Anges Copper Spur UL3 and see how much I save!
Take it even further by doing pack zippers, ditty bag zippers, clothing, and so on! Guy could shave a lot of ounces! Josh, thanks for the idea!

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have any pic's of your setup with the inner tent removed? How tight to the ground is the outer tent around it's perimeter?

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, you can save weight with any tent doing that!! Going to have to modify my Big Anges Copper Spur UL3 and see how much I save!
Take it even further by doing pack zippers, ditty bag zippers, clothing, and so on! Guy could shave a lot of ounces! Josh, thanks for the idea!

I wish I could take credit for it but it was Grant from 1-shot that gave me the ideas. I called him to discuss shaving some weight and he had plenty of tips.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Do you have any pic's of your setup with the inner tent removed? How tight to the ground is the outer tent around it's perimeter?
If you look at the outdoor gear lab review of the Anjan 2 they have a shot of the regular version w/out the inner. It's a couple inches at least, enough for wind to get up under no problem.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't have any pics as my sd card had issues that trip. If it is pitched with an even gap all the way around, the outer tent rides about 4 inches above the ground. It can be shifted from side to side if needed to face the wind if needed.

murf45

WKR
I have the standard version of this tent and love it. It does sleep warm. Great for cold nights but a little toasty on warm nights. I will be buying the all mesh inner for warm weather camping this summer.

Solitude

WKR
Josh,
Thanks for the in depth review. Curious if you would recommend this for an Alaska caribou hunt in August/September? My gut feel is yes, but what are your thoughts?

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not an expert on Alaskan weather or hunting conditions by any means. I do know anything can happen there weather-wise at that time of year. I think there are other tents more suited for nasty weather with features like a fully sealed inner tent and flys that extend to the ground. But if this were my only tent, I personally would take the chance and use it. I would just make sure it's pitched perfectly into the oncoming weather and I'd bring every stake.

stephen b

WKR
Great review; and nice job on the photos and suggestions.

I have the regular ( non-GT) version of this tent, and have done most of the mods mentioned here, and even a couple more minor ones. That being said, I picked up a couple more ideas from Josh's write up that I have not done- thanks Josh!

One thing to mention about setting up the outer alone for anyone that has not done it, you have to add a couple of sections of cordage tied across from pole ends ( just like the red tent and black tent models come) in order for outer tent to stand up alone. The set up directions for outer only show staking the outer tent at the pole terminal end points and then removing the inner. Well, if you do not have the inner attached and try to just set up the tent without the above mentioned cord you end up with about a 2' tall tent if that. First time I set it up with out any cross cording in my back yard, I thought- "what in the world is going on here". The Nallo's and other tents come with that black cord attached.

You could just stake out the outer tent each time without using any cordage, but you would be somewhat guessing on where those points would be. I just do not want to deal with that, and it is a lot easier for me to just have the cordage tied on so the tension and placement is the same every time.

So, all you do is set up the tents with inner and outer attached. And then tie two pieces of cord ( can get from Hilleberg, or use your own) to the points on the floor where the inner tent floor is attached to the pole end points. Then remove the inner tent, and tent pole ends will stay where they were. I just leave these sections of cord all the time ( just like they are on Nallo's etc) even when using both inner and outer. They are just under the floor- just like the other Hille's.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Great review; and nice job on the photos and suggestions.

I have the regular ( non-GT) version of this tent, and have done most of the mods mentioned here, and even a couple more minor ones. That being said, I picked up a couple more ideas from Josh's write up that I have not done- thanks Josh!

One thing to mention about setting up the outer alone for anyone that has not done it, you have to add a couple of sections of cordage tied across from pole ends ( just like the red tent and black tent models come) in order for outer tent to stand up alone. The set up directions for outer only show staking the outer tent at the pole terminal end points and then removing the inner. Well, if you do not have the inner attached and try to just set up the tent without the above mentioned cord you end up with about a 2' tall tent if that. First time I set it up with out any cross cording in my back yard, I thought- "what in the world is going on here". The Nallo's and other tents come with that black cord attached.

You could just stake out the outer tent each time without using any cordage, but you would be somewhat guessing on where those points would be. I just do not want to deal with that, and it is a lot easier for me to just have the cordage tied on so the tension and placement is the same every time.

So, all you do is set up the tents with inner and outer attached. And then tie two pieces of cord ( can get from Hilleberg, or use your own) to the points on the floor where the inner tent floor is attached to the pole end points. Then remove the inner tent, and tent pole ends will stay where they were. I just leave these sections of cord all the time ( just like they are on Nallo's etc) even when using both inner and outer. They are just under the floor- just like the other Hille's.
Have you tried flipping the staking point? If you take that coord loop to the inside of the pole before disconnecting the inner it won't loose shape on you. I did the exact same thing with mine......take down the inner and pop! That thing gets wide :)

I've only done it a couple times so it might not be the most secure, only tried it in some protected areas.

stephen b

WKR
Have you tried flipping the staking point? If you take that coord loop to the inside of the pole before disconnecting the inner it won't loose shape on you. I did the exact same thing with mine......take down the inner and pop! That thing gets wide :)

I've only done it a couple times so it might not be the most secure, only tried it in some protected areas.

Yes, that is a good idea, and I think that is the way Hilleberg shows in their directions for removing the middle. And that will work just fine for removing inner from outer when using both. I was mentioning an easier way when you only bring the outer with you. Or also for times when you have both with you and only want to set up the outer only and do not want to use the inner at all.

If someone wants to and takes just a little bit of prep time to put a couple of pieces of cord across these models like other Hille's have; then you are done with it for good. Just an option to if someone wanted. It is nice that the Hilleberg tents, besides being great tents, they are versatile.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
If someone wants to and takes just a little bit of prep time to put a couple of pieces of cord across these models like other Hille's have; then you are done with it for good. Just an option to if someone wanted. It is nice that the Hilleberg tents, besides being great tents, they are versatile.

This makes a lot of sense if someone is going to use the outer tent floorless a lot. I used stakes and it wasn't too hard to pitch but your method would be way more simple. Thanks for the great idea.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Using the weight tips suggested, any ideas as to how much weight a guy could cut off Hilleberg Jannu?
http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/products/red-label/jannu/jannu.php

I've got an October Sheep Hunt in the Chugach this year and looking to step up the tent to a burly weather fighter...
I had an offer to borrow one, but curious as to just how much weight a guy could save doing these tips on the Jannu? The counter to that is the reason for the Jannu; the expectation of harsh weather. Could you drop 6-8ozs and still maintain that ability?

If I end up going solo is the Enan tough enough for harsh weather?
http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/products/yellow-label/enan/enan.php