Sitka Coldfront Jacket Review, by Josh Boyd

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Backcountry hunter Josh Boyd (screen name, Jumar) is back with another review on a garment he tested just this last fall: The Sitka Coldfront.

This jacket was designed with specific set of hunters in mind: those hunting the cold wet conditions of the Pacific Northwest, Coastal Alaska, The high country of the West, and even the Northeastern US- and any similar climate where rain and wet snow is a given.

See how the many features and benefits performed in this photo-heavy review.

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/clothing/396-sitka-cold-front-rain-jacket-review

*note- Rokslide reviews gear at all price points, high and low. This jacket is not an inexpensive piece of gear! So if you're the type who posts nasty comments because others might be able to afford something you can't (or won't), catch a slow boat to Cuba- I hear you're welcome there.

Last edited:

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
If anyone has any questions about this jacket post them up and I will try to answer them. This is a very specialized piece of gear and with it's cost, I suspect people will want to tease out all the details.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not having pit zippers was only an issue when I was using the jacket in really warm temperatures or expending a ton of energy hiking. Even then I didn't feel real uncomfortable as the piece seems to manage internal moisture really well. When it's wet and cold enough to wear this jacket the pits would stay closed even if they existed. But you're right, it would be nice to have them for when you need them.

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up Josh. Did you happen to weigh the jacket after it was wetted out? Given the insulation and lack of pit zips, I see this as mainly a cold weather piece that can serve as a rain jacket if needed. However, if I knew it would rain daily, it seems the soft shell exterior is a liability given that it wets out and adds to the heavy dry weight of the piece. I am just having a hard time figuring out how this jacket fits into a backpacking kit. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great write up Josh. Did you happen to weigh the jacket after it was wetted out? Given the insulation and lack of pit zips, I see this as mainly a cold weather piece that can serve as a rain jacket if needed. However, if I knew it would rain daily, it seems the soft shell exterior is a liability given that it wets out and adds to the heavy dry weight of the piece. I am just having a hard time figuring out how this jacket fits into a backpacking kit. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks for the questions and comments. I did not weigh the jacket when it was saturated as this was a really infrequent occurrence during testing. That would be an interesting number to know. I would guess the gain in weight wouldn't be any larger of a percentage than Sitka's top tier Stormfront line. Just an FYI...The DWR is extremely durable and easily reactivated once it looses it's effectiveness. Just a simple washing will do it.

I think this piece shines in conditions where the precipitation is continually turning from rain to snow and back to rain and your activity level is low to moderate. Think horseback moose or elk hunts, coastal bear hunts, or late season Blacktail sits/still hunts. It hard for me to think of a time when I've been colder than a 12 hour vigil in a 35 degree non-stop downpour. That is where this piece is appreciated, but can be used in colder temps too.

As far as my backpacking setups.....this jacket doesn't ride along very often. I've got other stuff that is more versatile, packable, and lighter. When I do stuff it into my backpack it's for November elk and mule deer hunts in north ID and western MT when I expect the weather to be at its worst and I need to be dry inside this jacket for days at a time.

I hope that helps.
-Josh

Shotgun

FNG
I've used the older and the new version of this jacket. I miss the pit zips from the older version. The longer tail in the back is nice along with the pocket locations of the new version. This jacket has been great for late season rifle hunting when the wind is howling and wet snow is falling. On steep inclines it was nice to have those pit zips though.

I've used the older and the new version of this jacket. I miss the pit zips from the older version. The longer tail in the back is nice along with the pocket locations of the new version. This jacket has been great for late season rifle hunting when the wind is howling and wet snow is falling. On steep inclines it was nice to have those pit zips though.

I too miss the pit zips on the heavier jackets. I dont know why sitka got rid of them.

If anyone has any questions about this jacket post them up and I will try to answer them. This is a very specialized piece of gear and with it's cost, I suspect people will want to tease out all the details.
What's the main difference between this and the Stormfront? Looking for a bombproof jacket for Montana when things get real like you said. And I have an opportunity to purchase either at a good price. Planning on wearing either over a Kifaru Lost Park when sitting still. I'll be getting a Dewpoint for early on or when we have "normal September" weather.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the main difference between this and the Stormfront? Looking for a bombproof jacket for Montana when things get real like you said. And I have an opportunity to purchase either at a good price. Planning on wearing either over a Kifaru Lost Park when sitting still. I'll be getting a Dewpoint for early on or when we have "normal September" weather.

The Coldfront is basically the Stormfront shell with light gridded fleece added for a little extra warmth. It adds weight and bulkiness to the garment but when it's needed, it can be worth it. If you plan on running a puffy underneath the jacket I would say the stormfront would be fine unless you are hunting areas that get really wet snowfall mixed with rain. Those are the conditions where the Coldfront shine. If in doubt go heavy since you have a light weight set of Dew Point. Those two would cover all your bases. How's that for a non-answer?

The Coldfront is basically the Stormfront shell with light gridded fleece added for a little extra warmth. It adds weight and bulkiness to the garment but when it's needed, it can be worth it. If you plan on running a puffy underneath the jacket I would say the stormfront would be fine unless you are hunting areas that get really wet snowfall mixed with rain. Those are the conditions where the Coldfront shine. If in doubt go heavy since you have a light weight set of Dew Point. Those two would cover all your bases. How's that for a non-answer?
Thanks! Sounds like the Coldfront would probably be the way to go for our late season. Both are probably overkill for Montana, but I hate the cold. Plus I can get a better price...

Did you hunt a couple weeks ago here? That was crazy! Rain then snow then more rain, some wind and more snow. I'll definitely be keeping a Coldfront in the truck back at the trailhead for next September!

Trial153

WKR
This review was very helpful....so much so that I bought the stormfront shortly after.
I got to use it quite a bit on my most recent caribou hunt in northern Quebec a couple week back. The last three days of the hunt brought winds steady at 15mph plus, temps in the lower 40s and sideways rain and sleet. All total I logged 60 plus mile in 5 days of hunting ...the jacket was excellent. Warm enough yet it wasn't overly restrictive. It breaths very well for what it it's and the pocket layout is fine. The hood is excellent as well and can be tightened down so it moves with you and doesn't get in the way while glassing. The only negative I had was the collar when the hood wasn't deployed, made it kind of bulky..quick fix for that was leaving the hood out.
This jacket is bomb proof and should make the list if your looking for a shell that shouldn't fail.