Big Whitetails, Rokslide Style by Les Welch

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hi All,
Les Welch is one of our writers who's been with us since the beginning. He made our staff simply because he lives in Wisconsin but does very well bowhunting elk in the various Western states and of course, whitetails in his home state of Wisconsin and other whitetail states.

He's a hard-working hunter willing to do what it takes to "make it happen."

Les is on Sitka's prostaff and therefore has tested a ton of their gear. So when the Sitka offered us the chance to test their Whitetail gear (and some other pieces) it was Les I reached out to.

I was going to post this review only in the clothing forum but after I read it, I was so fired up about hunting big whitetails that I figured I better put it in the Whitetail forum, too.

I hope you enjoy this article as much as I did. Although I'm just a mule deer hunter, I can tell a good buck hunter of any of the deer species in about five minutes- Les certainly knows his stuff.

Les will chime in if you have any questions on the clothing or how he tags "Big East" whitetails.

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/clothing/406-whitetails-rokslide-style

Last edited:

elkyinzer

WKR
Good article, Les. Are there wolf problems in the area of Wisconsin you hunt?

Gotta love the level of effort that goes into outsmarting (or lucking into) a big woods whitetails. I hunt very similarly, right down to those exact October/November dates when I plan my vacation. A lot of “experts” push later into mid-November but like you, we've always had better luck right before the peak rut.

One area I diverge is that I've never had any luck hunting early/mid October food sources. There are just so many (seas of oak and beech where I am) that you have to be constantly scouting to find the ones that are being hit. Curious as to what food sources you reliably target in the big woods. Since my time is limited by work, during the October lull (unless I get a strong cold front, then I’m hunting scrapes and rub lines), I scout for fresh sign, particularly doe bedding areas, where I know bucks will be come November.

As to the sitka clothes...their new camo looks really good. They make good stuff and I own a few pieces of the Western line myself. That said, and I know advertising is part of the game and what keeps the lights on, but I feel it’s fair game to voice my perspective this being a forum and all. Call it constructive criticism or free advice for their executives. I’d bet money the line isn't selling like they would have liked because the pricing strategy flies in the face of fundamental economics. They really price themselves out of the whitetail market, plain and simple.

Their original line was developed based on the legit performance needs of Western hunters. Western hunters, while still grumbling about the prices, pay for premium gear because it is undoubtedly a major upgrade over cheaper alternatives. There was a need and the market filled it and then some. Coming from a business background I get that they are trying to monetize this trend by bringing it to Eastern hunters. As a business they have a right to try to do that, no doubt. As consumers, we have the right to collectively say "whoa, what the hell are you trying to do here". Guys are embracing the layering concepts and merino wool, but the outerwear especially just isn't enough of a performance upgrade to justify the cost. Frankly, we don't need to spend $1,500+ on a "system" to sit in a treestand for 2-12 hours. Do they really think we are dumb enough to pay $329 for a fleece jacket?! Their whole marketing/pricing strategy is the same that is used to sell $1,000 leather purses to our wives and girlfriends. Come on guys, we are smarter than that.

Sure they will sell a few “systems” to well-off hunters looking for that marginal upgrade, and moreso those just addicted to having the latest and greatest. Who knows, maybe I’m wrong and 5 years from now I will be sitting in a treestand decked out in Sitka gear….if I win the lottery.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks elky!

Yes, wolves are a definite problem. I've got a cabin in Bayfield county, which is right up along Lake Superior. With the the explosion of wolves and bad winters we had in 2011/2012/2013 it really put the deer in a hole. I killed a beautiful, mature 6.5 year old up there in 2011. It was the first deer I seen from stand in 59 hours of hunting. I hunted just a few days there in 2012 with rifle, but haven't been able to justify the 6 hour round trip and gas money when there is very few deer left. I've searched out other spots closer to home with more deer. There's more pressure also though.

I don't hunt much anymore until the third week of October. That's when the bucks start cruising here. I'm out elk hunting every year until the first of October or so. Once I get back I start switching gears and getting ready for whitetail. I might hunt those first falling maple leaves in mid-October, or if it's warm I'll hunt water. Depending on the year acorns can be dynamite, but this year I believe in the poplar trees were dropping acorns which made it about impossible to pattern anything, like you said.

As always constructive criticism is welcome. Whether it's towards me, my writing, Sitka, or anyone else. Fresh ideas are always good. That said I don't have anything to do with the business end of Sitka per say. I'm not a "well off" hunter by any means. Personally I prioritize what I do. I'm a Certified Triathlon coach, Personal Trainer, Fitness Nutrition Coach, Concealed Carry Instructor, and Personal Defense Instructor. Any and all money coming from those areas fund my hunting trips and Fitness races. I literally haven't had 3 beers in the last 20 years. I'll have the very occasional mixed drink. I don't golf, bowl, etc. All my "spare" money is used to fund "fun" stuff. This year I'll be taking my 12 year old son on his first archery elk hunt! Yep it will cost me $1200 give or take round trip for a week long hunt, but well worth it for me.

Again not knowing the business end of Sitka I can't honestly comment. I do know that it is expensive gear.......I also know that the fit, function, and durability is absolutely amazing. We don't "need" a Camaro to get to work when a "Pinto" will do the job. I compare Sitka Gear to buying Swaro Optics or something similar. Buy the best you can buy and have it last longer, work better, and in the long run that is sometimes cheaper.

Just my $.02, best of luck this fall!

Les

jaredlef

FNG
Enjoyed the article. With mobility being one of your keys to success - do you use a climber for most of the season, or do you set stands in the middle of the season on areas where you've seen fresh sign, or do you hunt from the ground?

Eagle

WKR
Les, well written article. I've come to the same conclusion so far as dates to hunt go on the public land where I've had success in Illinois. Our trail cams have also verified the thought that from roughly Oct. 25-Nov. 5 give or take a couple days either way is when the majority of daylight movement by mature bucks occurs. I think the main factor in that is pressure, as the peak rut where we hunt (first lock down phase) is generally in the Nov. 9-11 range, so the mature bucks should continue moving well up to that time, but with the increased pressure that public land sees as soon as Nov. 1 hits, I think the mature bucks lower their activity levels as a result. If the weather cooperates, I feel like the last week of October is difficult to beat for a public land hunt in the Midwest.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Enjoyed the article. With mobility being one of your keys to success - do you use a climber for most of the season, or do you set stands in the middle of the season on areas where you've seen fresh sign, or do you hunt from the ground?

Mainly a LW Alpha Sit and Climb. I have zero affiliation with them, just found that to be the best stand for my style of hunting. I will also use the Alpha Hang On, great stand versatility with the versa button and hook/strap system.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Les, well written article. I've come to the same conclusion so far as dates to hunt go on the public land where I've had success in Illinois. Our trail cams have also verified the thought that from roughly Oct. 25-Nov. 5 give or take a couple days either way is when the majority of daylight movement by mature bucks occurs. I think the main factor in that is pressure, as the peak rut where we hunt (first lock down phase) is generally in the Nov. 9-11 range, so the mature bucks should continue moving well up to that time, but with the increased pressure that public land sees as soon as Nov. 1 hits, I think the mature bucks lower their activity levels as a result. If the weather cooperates, I feel like the last week of October is difficult to beat for a public land hunt in the Midwest.

100% agreed!!