Sub 3lb shelter and sleep system

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds like a nice setup slim. I'm hoping this new setup is comfortable. Only some time in the backcountry will tell.

That's a good looking setup Justin. What's your plan for dealing with the mosquitoes during the summer months in the Washington high country? I know from experience that those little bastards can ruin a trip!

slim9300

WKR
That sounds like a nice setup slim. I'm hoping this new setup is comfortable. Only some time in the backcountry will tell.

Well, good luck this year. WA is a challenging state, but I know you guys seem to see tons of game. You are obviously doing something right. :)

I want to see a big WA high county buck hit the dirt. Did either of you end up connecting last year on one of those big boys from 2011?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
couesbitten,
My bivy sack has a bug net and a solid cover so bugs shouldn't be a problem.

Slim,
We didn't get a buck last year. I hunted muzzle loader and when Branden and I were up there for archery we couldn't find the buck he wanted to shoot. He headed out after a nice 5x6 the one morning but then he got distracted by that bear and the plan changed. Getting that bear was pretty cool though. All I shot this year was a bobcat and a few quail.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Well this is pretty much my list for this year. This would be for a five day hunt. Some things aren't checked off on the list because I'm not planning on taking them most the time. There are also a couple things that I haven't weighed yet. Also looks like I forgot game bags. Anyway, this is pretty close to what I'll be taking.

When my brother and I hunt together we usaully share a spotter and a rifle so my pack weight would be about 6.5lbs less.

packweight_zps38cdc83c.png

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
My Zpacks 30* quilt was delivered today. I like the looks of it so far. I'll try and get it on the scale soon so I can see if the advertised 14.4 oz. weight is correct.

When I get a chance I'll get together with littlebuf so we can lay the two different quilts side by side and write a quick review.
It doesn't have as many features as the enlightened equipment quilt.

You guys are lucky that you can get away with 30 degree bags and I still think Ryan Avery is nuts for planning on using a Woobie this fall.

Had an archery season about 10 years ago that had morning temps of 15 degrees and it was sunny and in the 60's during the day.

Has anyone rode out a really bad storm in a Paratarp, Supertarp, Megatarp or LBO?

How did it go?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I plan to use the 30* bag with my clothes to up the rating if needed. Since I already carry the clothes, I hate to just have them sitting next to me while I sleep when I could be using them to help lighten my load. I do also have a marmot helium 15* bag for when the temps get really cold. I'll probably take the 15 when I hunt Colorado in November.

littlebuf

Banned
that 900 fill down in the zpacks may surprise you Justin. I bet you get into the 20's pretty easy with that thing

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it looks like we are going to have some nasty weather tonight so I did what any Rokslider would do.......

I set my new tarp up in the yard and plan to test it out in some wind and rain tonight. The temps may get down to around freezing too so I can get somewhat of an idea how warm my 30* quilt will be. I will report more on the conditions and how my sleep system performs tomorrow.

littlebuf

Banned
oh yeah, tonight's weather is going to suck. maybe ill go for a midnight drive and see if your shelter is bigfoot proof too

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Nicely done Justin...I got mine just over a month ago, tied Kelty Triptease guylines on it as I prefer it over standard guylines so I can see the tent in the dark when I come sloggin' into camp late. :D

It could be a while before I get to test mine in the rain if the 18" of snow we got in the yard last week is any indication. :D

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Well I made it. The weather was just what I hoped for. When I went to bed it was 38* and raining like crazy. For the test I slept in boxers, a long sleeve t-shirt and a beanie. The Raven Omni bivy worked perfectly and is actually much bigger than I really need. The Thermarest Neoair Xtherm is awesome. It was really comfortable and very warm. I could really feel the warmth from the pad. I didn't attach the straps on my 30* Zpacks quilt at all, I just shoved it into the bivy and used it like a blanket. The temps got down to about 34* last night and the quilt kept me plenty warm. Everything was perfect until midnight when the wind really started howling. My tarp was setup in the grass as you could see in the pics and the ground is really soft. I had a really strong wind gust come through straight into the front of my tarp and it popped the front stake right out of the ground. I had to get out and lower the center pole and put the stake back in. After I did that the tarp held up to the swirling wind pretty well. I should have pitched it lower in the first place but I didn't expect the wind to blow from that direction. Overall I'm pretty happy with this setup so far. The tarp has plenty of room for me and my gear.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
It was blowing in a little when the wind changed and started blowing at the front. After I lowered the front, I had no problem with rain coming in at all. When using a tarp, you definatly want to think through how you set it up. With a tent it's not near as critical.
I think this setup is going to really work well for September hunts in Washington.

Super tarp works great in rain storms,and even though i have an annex and even went to the trouble to add some velcro to it to get a better seal I rarely use it.The tarp is so long that I just slide away from the open door and stay completely dry
Tim