Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Leica

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • Vortex

Votes: 11 21.2%

• Total voters

Whisky

WKR
No experience with either of those, but IME with rangefinders in general, if you want RELIABLE 500yd + ranging in various conditions, you'll want more than a "600yd" RF....I'd get the 1000 for sure.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree with Outdoor, I had a Nikon for several years and then went to the Leica before my Geovids...like night and day between the Nikon and Leica as far as always getting a range...if you can swing it, you won't regret the added expense in buying a Leica.

sk1

WKR
I can't imagine the Leica has much on the leupold tbr 1000rxi with DNA rangefinder....incredible piece of equipment

I had a Leica CRF 900, sold it for the Vortex Ranger. I got a good vortex ranger out of the first bunch so I'm very pleased with its angle comp for archery hunting. Its also on par with long ranging readings quickly like the Leica as well. Only reason I sold the Leica was because of no angle compensation.

I'm in the leica crowd,
I had a 1200, sold it, bought a Swarovski sold that, then went back to the leica.
My buddy uses the Leupold and its a good unit. I just like the Leica better.

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I used a bushnel forever and just upgraded to the Leica 1600 because I got into long range steel shooting. The optic is awesome and it ranges so fast. It's a 1600 but I've had it give readings well past that. 2100 was the farthest. Plus it's tiny. To answer your original question I would always go bigger when in doubt. Never know what the future holds.

bobhunts

WKR
I only have two rangefinders. The first one I bought ( Leica) and still love other than the configuration and weight is the older LRF 900. I like that I can wear it in a bino harness and it has never failed me. Having said that.it is an older model. No built in incinometer. Since then I bought the Nikon Rifle hunter 1000. Same there without the inclinometer. I really like the weight size and configuration of the Nikon and the little edge on the range. The down side I have seen with the Nikon is being able to read it when in dark conditions. With a red readout that is not very light there are times I cannot see the readout. Other than that I have no complaints. When I have the extra money I will get the newer Leica. They are so much smaller than the one that I own and very light. I cannot verifiy the validity on the range finding abilities on either one but both companies make good stuff ...just some cost less. Bob.

OP
Brandon Pattison
I had a Leupold RX-IV. I sold it because I think it cost me a mule deer. The stupid 'bow' setting only goes to 60 yards I think. Oh was I ever mad. I couldn't figure out the mode changes as he eased off. I want simple with angle compensation. What say you?

littlebuf

Banned
I had a Leica CRF 900, sold it for the Vortex Ranger. I got a good vortex ranger out of the first bunch so I'm very pleased with its angle comp for archery hunting. Its also on par with long ranging readings quickly like the Leica as well. Only reason I sold the Leica was because of no angle compensation.

+1 on the ranger. recently bought the same model and was ranging re prod fir trees out to 956 yards. not a very reflective target and the vortex was able to repetadly perfform at that range. i also have a pretty good property for archery, various elevations to shoot form and it performs outstandingly on short range angle compensation.add that with its compact size,light weight and ease of handleling and youd be hard pressed to find a better range finder at a better price.

Juan_ID

WKR
I'd say if you're going to get an Archer's Choice get the Archer's Choice MAX, IMO it's the better of the two... And nothing confusing or complicated about it, very simple.

OP
Brandon Pattison
I'd say if you're going to get an Archer's Choice get the Archer's Choice MAX, IMO it's the better of the two... And nothing confusing or complicated about it, very simple.

Negative (Nick too). I need LONG range as well for long range work. I can shoot 200 yards with iron sights and I don't want two rangefinders.