Ultralight tarp/tents for early season backcountry hunts

I have a golite SL 3 for hiking and don't use a nest when solo. Can use either a trekking pole or tripod as a center pole to keep the weight around 24 oz but you get 60 sq ft of complete protection from the elements which is a palace when going solo. For two or more the SL 5 at 29 oz for the tent is a in its own right for 2 people at 90 sq ft.

Last year was my first year with a SL3. It worked great for two people and our gear. I used the floor/tub last year but I might ditch that and just go with the shell. Last year I had two very wet stormy days with it and it worked great.

TJ

WKR
I have a golite SL 3 for hiking and don't use a nest when solo. Can use either a trekking pole or tripod as a center pole to keep the weight around 24 oz but you get 60 sq ft of complete protection from the elements which is a palace when going solo. For two or more the SL 5 at 29 oz for the tent is a in its own right for 2 people at 90 sq ft.

Luke

What kind fo nest are you using?

The tarps sound real interesting, it's the mosquitos I don't like.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Solo I sleep in a TI goat ptarmigan bivy (6 oz) to stay out of the bugs (it has bug netting) if my wife and I are going I use teh Mount Laurel Designs Duo Mid inner nest. Hope that helps.

I pulled the trigger on the small stove from Kifaru for a 4 man tipi. I have the GoLite SL5 which I modified with a stove jack from TiGoat to accept the stove and pipe. Next year I will probably upgrade to the sawtooth and liner. Man, I can't wait for the stove to show up!

muleman

WKR
For lightweight tents I have a Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo, GoLite SL-3 and SL-5. I am partial no floor and no nest if the skitters are not an issue.

I have a couple issues with the Lunar Duo as a hunting tent.
1) You have to have a good clear place to pitch it. Can't just pitch it over brush. Like with a floorless shelter.
2) To me the Lunar Duo seems too fragile as hunting tent. I even got it with the heavier floor option.

I do think the Lunar Duo is a great tarp tent within its design scope of through hiking.

In these pictures you can see that all around was sage brush and small scrub brush. We had to pick a less than ideal place to pitch the tent to accomondate the floor.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Lawnboi

WKR
Actually it saved more than a lb, only thing i miss about it is the height, but i can still sit up in the paratarp.

Now i want a sawtooth