Water Bottle Pouch...Anyone ever added one?

The only thing my DT1 is missing is a slot for a water bottle on the side, that I can access while hiking without taking my pack off. Anyone ever sewed one on? What type of material did you use? Thanks!

Beastmode

WKR
I would recommend getting a nice bladder and running that in either the side pocket or bladder sleeve. I switched from nalgene bottles a couple years ago and am not looking back. Get a good bladder though not a cheap one.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I still use Nalgenes, especially in freezing temps, or when I am taking the steripen. Kifaru makes a bottle holder that connects to the belt or webbing at the bottom of the pack.

It isn't DIY, but it will work.

Last edited:
OP
T
I've been pretty skeptical on the Steri Pen, regardless of the many good reviews. Sounds like it's worked well for you?

I still use Nalgenes, especially in freezing temps, or when I am taking the steripen. Kifaro makes a lbottle holder that connects to the belt or webbing at the bottom of the pack.

It isn't DIY, but it will work.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I use a bladder as well. I just like to always have a Nalgene 1L with me as well. Areas I can use only the Nalgene are nice but the bladder still comes along empty.

Otherwise I use a Nalgene for mixing drinks, keeping my feet warm in my sleeping bag, drinking out of, filtering out of if the water is really dirty, measuring.... the list goes on

The ITS pocket is nice and cheap as well. It is pretty secure, even more so if you wedge it on your belt of your pack or use it on the pals with another pocket. Very adjustable and quiet as well. A very good and really lightweight option.
When not being used you can use the bungee and flatten it out.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Travis,

I love the Steripen. UV Treatment is used in a lot of municipal water systems, and has been tested a lot. It also works on protozoa, bacteria, AND viruses. It is more thorough than filtering or drops. I use the screw-on bottle filter to keep out the salad. A hankercheif or coffee filter will clear up silty water.

Aron,

When I am in areas way above water, I bring a bladder (Platypus or Drom). Sometimes I bring a filter, and sometimes I will still bring the steripen and fill the bladder one quart at a time.

That sucks to hear about the bottle holder. I really prefer bottles in cold weather. But when it is that cold anyway, I will put the bottle in my pack where it is a little bit insulated.

jamaro

FNG
Just sew on a couple of beer koozies and you are good to go.. :) j/k. I actually carry a steel water bottle and a bladder... My thoughts are this... I often can drink the bladder dry and not know it. I want to have a backup(steel water bottle) in case I can't get to a water source(I live in the desert).. and I carry a steel bottle in cases something goes wrong and I need to boil water...

2rocky

WKR
I carry a bladder but the Nalgene is easier to measure when I am fixing mtn. house or dissolving something in it. It also threads onto the bottom of my MSR water filter.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My dad sells chemicals for industrial water treatment (the stuff we drink at home) and he confirms the UV method has been proven and utilized for years. Says it's the best out of everything available if you can keep the crud out.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Put the water bottle holder on my T1 this afternoon to try it out. Works great and it's easy to reach. Their website lists it at 2.5 oz.
I haven't weighed it myself yet.

Lawnboi

WKR
It works much better with a 32oz widemouth Nalgene in the little while iv been playing around with it. Holds it centered much better.

I even put it on the belt and snugged it in with one of the delta straps for no flopping.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I don't use the Nalgene bottles because they weigh twice as much as a Gatorade bottle and do the exact same thing. Plus I like to start my hike with a cold Gatorade anyway.