Sawyer Water Filter Squeeze System

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
So I went down to REI last night and picked up the Sawyer Sqeeze System with the 3 pouches. I also grabbed a 3 liter large Mouth Platypus. I did some testing with it last night and I gotta say I like this thing a lot. I plan to use it as a gravity feed system by hooking it to the Plat from the line into the filter and letting it flow to whatever Im filling my clean water with. I tested the Flow rate after about 12 liters of water. I was getting 1 liter in 3 minutes with a inline Carbon Filter. Quick question on this system. Im running the Platypus as my dirty water bladder. Do you guys have a good inline Prefilter that keeps any small but larger stuff that may clog the Sawyer filter? Right now I have a PUR Charcoal inline Filter on their but it is kind of heavy. I want something smaller compact easy to clear any clogs type pre filter that will keep my Sawayer working great.

Thanks.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I don't prefilter. I ran about 10 gallons thru the sawyer w/ platy zip bag as a gravity filter last year, and the water had moss and debris in it from the creek. It didn't slow down at all. I would think you could just back flush when you get home.

I run a piece a stainless screen from a reusable coffee filter under the rubber washer on the inlet. It catches the big stuff.

If you want to hook your Sawyer straight to your platy on the clean end without using a tube check out Minibulldesigns. He makes an adapter and a bunch of crazy alcohol stoves as well. I don't have one, but it might float your boat.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
interesting. So how much water should I run through this Sawyer till the flow increases? I tested last night 1 liter in 3 minutes. Thats not bad for no effort but Ive seen videos that the flow is definitely much higher.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
yeah even the squeeze. It maybe because of my charcoal filter I have on the line too. I love this thing. Super happy with it and the 3liter Platypus is awesome too. Anyone had any issues with the Sawyer? Tips Tricks to know?

Sometimes if you give it a little squeeze to start it off it seems to help. Not sure why, but it works. Also there have been some complaints of low flow rates after letting the filter completely dry out. Seems like the consensus is mineral deposits clogging the filter and a good backflushing with hot(not boiling) water, or water & vinegar seems to clear up that problem. Don't be afraid to put some pressure into the back flush.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks Flyingsquirel. Appreciate the tips.

No problem. The Sawyer used as a gravity filter beats pumping any day of the week. And ya, its probably your charcoal filter slowing you down.