most comfortable pad

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Did you contact EXPED for warranty? All failed baffles fall under warranty. It's also an issue that has been fixed since 2017 production came out.

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe. Hard to beat a 30" wide pad. I gladly carry the extra weight of the pad for the sleep I get on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agreed! Static V is unreal comfortable. I have the standard and insulated and wouldn’t trade them for anything. I count the ounces but feel your boots and sleeping pad need to be where you pony up as feet and sleep will destroy a hunt faster than anything. You can’t beat the price of the Static and the air chamber design keeps you from sinking to the middle.

superA

WKR
I recently spent the night on a exped downmat 5. Every bit as nice as the 7 but much lighter. I also have an exped ul airmat. Haven't used it yet though.

OP
E
so the big agnes worked out great, was super comfy, and held air for 7 nights in the field with out needing a top off. So Im pretty happy.

What's the pro lite?
Another vote for the pro lite, I’m 6’1 220 pounds and a rodeo side sleeper. Sleeps are nice with no shoulder or hip pain or arms falling asleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
So im bringing this one back up. Been researching pads...and am considering an upgrade to a Exped Downmat UL Long/Wide. I get sore hips and back pretty bad on my current pad. I want a combination of warmth, comfort, without going too heavy. Ive heard some good reviews on this pad, but wondering if its a winner for a side sleeper as well. I tend to toss and turn from side to side all night long. Rarely can I sleep on my back for any period of time. Looking for more inputs on this...thanks!

sneaky

"DADDY"
So im bringing this one back up. Been researching pads...and am considering an upgrade to a Exped Downmat UL Long/Wide. I get sore hips and back pretty bad on my current pad. I want a combination of warmth, comfort, without going too heavy. Ive heard some good reviews on this pad, but wondering if its a winner for a side sleeper as well. I tend to toss and turn from side to side all night long. Rarely can I sleep on my back for any period of time. Looking for more inputs on this...thanks!
What pad are you using now, for reference?

TravisIN

WKR
Anyone with any experience with a Big Agnes AXL. Looking at the insulated version

sneaky

"DADDY"
Anyone with any experience with a Big Agnes AXL. Looking at the insulated version

Just reports that it sleeps cold, some early ones leaked. Don't know anyone personally running one

Wrongside

WKR

I loved my Exped Downmat7, until it's baffles started blowing out. Exped only warranties the UL series for 2 years and the regular for 5, so you're out of luck if it fails after that. I find that unacceptable for a mat that runs around $300 here in Canada.

My family and I have gone mainly to Thermarest products since (we do have one BA) and been very happy with the NeoAir line. We have 4 in our household now. My fav is the Xtherm Max, very warm and comfortable.

rbljack

WKR
What pad are you using now, for reference?

Sneaky, I ran the Sea to Summit Comfort Light in a large mummy style. I think the R value is 4.2, and its around 26 ounces. Ive had it for a few years....but looking for more comfortable options, even if it comes in a bit heavier.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sneaky, I ran the Sea to Summit Comfort Light in a large mummy style. I think the R value is 4.2, and its around 26 ounces. Ive had it for a few years....but looking for more comfortable options, even if it comes in a bit heavier.
Gotcha. I'm at two different extremes, an Xlite pad at 16oz or so, and a Klymit Static V luxe insulated. It's 35oz or so, R value of 5, 30" wide. It's a super comfy pad that can be found much cheaper than a lot of other options. 30x76 I believe on its dimensions.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I own a couple of EXPED mats, the downmat 9LW, and Synmat HL LW. Both are the newer construction, with baffles that won't blow. You can contact EXPED with the lot # of your pad to find out if it is an updated model. The basic identifier, is if it has the black gripskin honeycomb pattern on top, then it's an updated pad.

I think the valve system is superior to thermarest, and the thicker edge baffles to direct you to the center of the pad are a nice feature.

I used the Exped Syn7 this year and it was flawless. I am a side sleeper or a belly and half side I guess. I was good to go even in super cold nights. I was worried about slipping off the pad so each night the pack went to the toe of the pad/bag and I had no issues. I did not inflate the pad to it's extreme, and it was super comfy. I have the Klymit non insl older version(4 yrs) 30" wide and I slept better on the new 2018 Exped.

My belief is to have an extra bag and pad in the vehicle, in case I walk out heavy and need to sleep there, VS going all the way back to the camp. SO I have 2 bags and pads. Perhaps you could try a couple out and not feel like you wasted $$$. A back up is always good any way.

Klymit Static V is the most comfortable pad I've slept on, hands down (but I haven't slept on them all).

After my first trip with the Static V, I came home and threw all my previously favorite pad on ebay.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Klymit Insulated Static V Lite. It's only 19oz, has a R value of 4.4, is 23" wide, and is really comfy. However- mine failed my first night out (bad valve) on our October elk hunt. I ended up borrowing my brother-in-law's backup Thermarest Z-lite Sol for the rest of the week. Nowhere near as comfortable, but it kept me from freezing to death so I was sooooooo happy! (That failure night was brutal)

Good news is, Klymit has been great with their warranty service, and I'm expecting a new one in the mail any day now.

Last year (2017), I’d wake up so sore that it would take me an hour to loosen back up. Then I’d dread going to sleep on my pad every night.

So this Antelope Season - I cheated and bought the Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Pad, since I was basically truck base camping. It’s a 10lb pad with an R-value of 9.5, so I’d obviously NEVER take it anywhere but truck camping, but DANG I’m spoiled now.

I currently have a Thermarest pad that I pack in, but I’m looking for something a little thicker and more comfortable too - it could be 4+lbs and I wouldn’t care - I just need some padding now that I’m older! So I’m following for recommendations. Thanks!

rbljack

WKR
Last year (2017), I’d wake up so sore that it would take me an hour to loosen back up. Then I’d dread going to sleep on my pad every night.

So this Antelope Season - I cheated and bought the Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Pad, since I was basically truck base camping. It’s a 10lb pad with an R-value of 9.5, so I’d obviously NEVER take it anywhere but truck camping, but DANG I’m spoiled now.

I currently have a Thermarest pad that I pack in, but I’m looking for something a little thicker and more comfortable too - it could be 4+lbs and I wouldn’t care - I just need some padding now that I’m older! So I’m following for recommendations. Thanks!

LOL...yep...this is where I am too (as far as looking for a more comfortable backcountry option). Currently looking at the exped 9LW, and the Exped winterlite. The winterlite is lighter, but I sleep in a floorless shelter, so not sure I should sacrifice the durability for the lighter material.