Katabatic Gear Quilt👍🏼

TexasCub

WKR
I just received my Katabatic Flex 15 and holy chit is this thing sweet. Craftsmanship is perfect, tons of loft and it fits so good when laying on my side. I’m 5’9 180 but wide in the shoulders, I went with a wide regular and it fits perfect. Love the way it seals up at the foot cinch with a draft tube and the body contour is awesome.They said it would be delivered in 3-4 weeks when I ordered it and it was at my front door in 21 days after placing my order. Thumbs up Katabatic!

I’m thinking of going with that quilt as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
I just used my Flex 30 in the high country of Nevada the temps only got down to the mid 50's and I had the Quilt unziped so I could use it like a blanket. I did wish the footbox was zipped up in the early hours but not cold enough for me to get and and zip it. I like the ability to use it like I did and if it was colder I could have zipped up the foot box before going to bed. great quilt!

I’m trying to decide between the 30 degree and the 22 degree Flex. In your guys experience doesn’t the temp rating seem pretty accurate?

I almost went with the 15 degree flex. I went with a EE 10 degree. I figure if it’s a quilt I can get a real warm one and just open it up. Plus mid September elk up high I think I will like the warmer quilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just received my Katabatic Flex 15 and holy chit is this thing sweet. Craftsmanship is perfect, tons of loft and it fits so good when laying on my side. I’m 5’9 180 but wide in the shoulders, I went with a wide regular and it fits perfect. Love the way it seals up at the foot cinch with a draft tube and the body contour is awesome.They said it would be delivered in 3-4 weeks when I ordered it and it was at my front door in 21 days after placing my order. Thumbs up Katabatic!

I'm basically the same size as you and was going to get the regular since they say the regular is the equivalent of 63" shoulder girth of a mummy bag. 63" is quit roomy considering normal mummy bags are 58" - 62" wide.

The wide version of the Katabatic says its the equivalent of 67" wide mummy bag and that seems to big.

wish I'd have gone with Katabatic...instead of EE.
my EE is so unfilled to efficiency, even though I keep shaking it out, moving the down fill around. The amount of light transparency spots visible is very disturbing.

I`m with you as well. Not very impressed with my EE 20 degree quilt. Not much loft at all. I have used it quit a bit over the last two bow seasons though. I have had to wear layers well above rating of quilt.

Didn't EE actually start adding more fill to their quilts last year due to complaints?

Also, thanks for posting this. I am in the market for a quit and had not heard of this company.

Yes they did start adding more fill. I bought mine like a few months before that. I emailed them about adding fill and that I would pay. I was told to kick rocks by EE.

Not trying to start a fight here. If you have not used their product you can not say they are the best. Just my opinion.

No offense taken. I should have clarified. Based on research, reviews, talking to people that have used it I concluded it is the best based on the information available.

Lets be honest it doesn't take much to figure this one out. compare the down, the fabric, the baffle construction, the attachment system and Katabatic stand out.

tdot

WKR
full disclosure I haven't used a quilt yet, but i've researched the crap out of them and Katabatic is the best by far.

I tend to agree with @Elkdreamer, that is a bold statement for only having read about it on the interweb.

Nunatak is arguably superior, at the very least it is on par. There are others at a similar level.

The problem with specs, spreadsheets and interweb data, is that it is not the complete story. How something is put together and the individual parts work with each other is often as important, or more important, then the individual specs.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes they did start adding more fill. I bought mine like a few months before that. I emailed them about adding fill and that I would pay. I was told to kick rocks by EE.
Rainy Pass in WA will add however much down you want to your EE quilt, or any quilt for that matter. My EE quilt has been just fine, been running it for about 4 years now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Plenty of good quilt makers out there.
Nunatak
Katabatic
EE
UGQ
Hammock Gear
Jacks R Better
Loco Libre
Western Mountaineering
Feathered Friends
ZPacks
Warbonnet

Nunatak is truly custom, and is the only one you can snap a synthetic overquilt to for true cold weather use.

Hard to make a "blanket" statement that any one brand is better than another without using multiples to compare. There's good and bad examples from every brand floating around I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I tend to agree with @Elkdreamer, that is a bold statement for only having read about it on the interweb.

Nunatak is arguably superior, at the very least it is on par. There are others at a similar level.

The problem with specs, spreadsheets and interweb data, is that it is not the complete story. How something is put together and the individual parts work with each other is often as important, or more important, then the individual specs.

Well pal, do elaborate on what you mean. Again, I stated from the beginning I have not used the quilt; however, my testing of similar products allow me to make educated opinions based on prior experiences. Lets not make this more than it is. If you are educated on down, fabrics, stitching, baffle construction, and geometry of space it really doesn't take a rocket scientist to narrow down which products are the best. Typically the best products are not the lightest which is why most people need to experience this as I have.

For me the Nunatak attachment system and lack of stretch around you on the bottom is inferior to the Katabatic. However, I do agree with you that the Nunatak is on par with the best of the best.