Seek Outside Shelters

sveltri

WKR
I've run the SO Silvertip, Cimarron, and Redcliffe. Most of my trips are solo so the Silvertip is my go to, but the Redcliff is by far my favorite. It is the easiest to pitch and the room is awesome, I ordered mine with screens so I pay a little weight penalty. I get pretty excited whenever I get an opportunity to run it.

Mule

FNG
I own the LBO+3 piece vestibule, Cimarron, and the 8 man tipi with full liner and mesh doors. The 8 man takes longer to set up for sure, but it's a great shelter once it's up. I've never had 3 in it with stove, but 2 and stove is cavernous. You could easily do a third guy in there, plus gear and a huge wood pile. The Cimarron with a stove, 2 guys and gear is the limit for me. 3 guys would be real snug in there with a stove...you'd end up with gear stored outside.

I run LBO in base+vestibule (with stove), or base+base, depending on how much room I'm looking for. I could add the tarp for a base+tarp+base with stove for a tajmahall if I needed lots more room...just haven't needed it, but that's how versatile it is. However, as others have noted, the footprint is of most concern. I have found the more space you need the more unlovely your spot will be ;)

I'm considering a Redcliff, was gonna get a Jimmy tarps Hudson in the mid configuration. But doesn't seem like hes ever gonna get them sewn.
Main use for me would to be easy setup, small packed in vehicle, more of a quick and easy car camping setup for 2,
With the option to pack it in on an occasional hunt.

If I were looking at a shelter for one/two with stove and maybe having a third along sometimes I'm going with the smaller shelter, in this case a Cimmaron. The extra weight and bulk of the larger shelter plus the difficulty of finding a viable place to pitch it in the backcountry for the chance that a third will be there isn't worth it. The cimarron, while its not ideal, will work for three. Buy a tarp to put your gear under.

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm considering a Redcliff, was gonna get a Jimmy tarps Hudson in the mid configuration. But doesn't seem like hes ever gonna get them sewn.
Main use for me would to be easy setup, small packed in vehicle, more of a quick and easy car camping setup for 2,
With the option to pack it in on an occasional hunt.

If the area you'll be gong to is not limiting the size of the tent, I'd go with a Redcliff for sure. My wooded environment will likely limit the footprint so I went wth the 4-man tipi vs Redcliff. Were it not for that, I would have gotten the Redcliff in a NY minute.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
6-man Tipi or Redcliff. Both would suit you perfectly. I personally prefer the Tipi after staying in both. I'll also admit that I think i'm in the minority with that preference.

I am trying to decide on the Tipi vs the Redcliff. What did you favor on the Tipi. I am looking to hunt 2 guys in the winter with stove or pack for my family of four in the summer. Trying to get a good fit. Weight within a couple of pounds is not an issue.

Rokwiia

WKR
The 6-man tipi has 10% more square feet than the Redcliff and another foot in height. If the footprint size is no issue where you'll use it, I'd take the 6-man over the Redcliff and the Redcliff over the 4-man.

One advantage the Redcliff has is the ease of setup but I'd take the additional size of the 6-man tipi for sure.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am trying to decide on the Tipi vs the Redcliff. What did you favor on the Tipi. I am looking to hunt 2 guys in the winter with stove or pack for my family of four in the summer. Trying to get a good fit. Weight within a couple of pounds is not an issue.

2 guys in winter or family of four in summer:

Lightweight backpacking trip = Cimarron - room for two plus gear and stove, only 6' tall so not standing height. Tight but doable for four in summer.

More space - Redcliff - Very close in weight to 4 Person, and the same height, but better layout for 4 people in summer. 6'10" at peak means standing height near pole.

More space - 6 Person. Big jump in height to 7'10" means you have walking around room.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
2 guys in winter or family of four in summer:

Lightweight backpacking trip = Cimarron - room for two plus gear and stove, only 6' tall so not standing height. Tight but doable for four in summer.

More space - Redcliff - Very close in weight to 4 Person, and the same height, but better layout for 4 people in summer. 6'10" at peak means standing height near pole.

More space - 6 Person. Big jump in height to 7'10" means you have walking around room.

Leaning towards the 6 man. Just need to see the real weight difference. Like walk space.

I had a SO 4-man tipi made of the 70d fabric, and the 10 panel design. I realized I could have a 30d 6-man tipi for the same weight, and significantly more room. So I sold the 4 and bought a 6.

I understand the current 4-man tipi is an 8-panel design and 30d fabric, so it is significantly lighter than my 4-man was.

Here are a couple pics to help you see the difference. I'm 6'3".

6-man,

Lp1m14b.jpg

4-man,

3xD6qZY.jpg

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
I am trying to decide on the Tipi vs the Redcliff. What did you favor on the Tipi.

I like the tipi because of the wind resistance and snow shedding ability. Snows in the PacNW tend to be heaevy and wet. . .the kind of 3" "Dusting" that can crush shelter structures. The steeper walls of the tipi really keep the structure sound.

But don't think I don't eye that Redcliff often thinking about the possibilities.

The Cimmaron (for 2) is really the right answer. . . unless you insist on standing height.

I use the LBO and have two bases and the connecting tarp. When it’s my wife and I the two bases connected have a ton of room for us and gear and the stove if needed. On my Wyoming trip I used the connecting tarp with two bases for three of us plus gear and it was awesome. Plenty of room to spread out and not feel packed In. It did great in 40mph wind at 10k ft. The one thing I really liked about it is we could split up the pieces and not carry much weight per person. Very happy with mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benjblt

WKR
I researched all the options that Kifaru and SO offered. The Redcliff seemed to be the most versatile and user friendly. I have yet to use it in the woods but will in a week and a half. So far I love it and it's easy to set up with plenty of room for 3 guys. All these people that say "It'll be tight with 3 guys, gear and a stove". . . . Yeah, but so's a 3p tent.. and more so. I feel like the Redcliff is right on the edge of light weight while still providing enough space for 3, or even 4, guys if need be. To me that's light weight. . . only 1 tent for 3 guys at 5lbs 7oz (tent w/stove jack and screen doors, stakes, carbon pole).

sneaky

"DADDY"
I researched all the options that Kifaru and SO offered. The Redcliff seemed to be the most versatile and user friendly. I have yet to use it in the woods but will in a week and a half. So far I love it and it's easy to set up with plenty of room for 3 guys. All these people that say "It'll be tight with 3 guys, gear and a stove". . . . Yeah, but so's a 3p tent.. and more so. I feel like the Redcliff is right on the edge of light weight while still providing enough space for 3, or even 4, guys if need be. To me that's light weight. . . only 1 tent for 3 guys at 5lbs 7oz (tent w/stove jack and screen doors, stakes, carbon pole).
What stove you planning on running?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
Excellent points SuperA and MTarrowfinger. Thank you both.

I like the modular design and thought about the LBO but couldn't find any YouTube video I liked that displayed the interior size by itself, with a vestibule, and a base-to-base. I'm visually oriented and if I can't see, I won't understand it.

The other consideration is that I's like to be able to backpack by myself with the tent if friends are busy and can't go. That would mean all of the weight must be carried by me. A pound and a half isn't the end of the world, nor is $450, I was just trying to have the best of all worlds.

I should know better and, in the end, I have to decide what priority each characteristic...weight, cost, room, and tent size...play in my decision.

I just put my LBO package in the classifieds and can send you some video of the inside.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm running the SXL. I debated the L. I'm very glad I went with it. It's the perfect size for less then half a pound of weight more then the L.
I was just curious, you didn't include stove weight in your total for 3 guys lol

Benjblt

WKR
I was just curious, you didn't include stove weight in your total for 3 guys lol

No I didn't because it's an added option (I didn't list the liner or inner tent either) and I was comparing it to a tent. If I added all the options it can weigh over 10 lbs.