Seek Outside Shelters

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

Am looking into the Seek outside shelters to have for when I hunt with more than just myself. looking for something to hold between 2-3 people with a stove. My question in do I go with the cimarron, tipi or redlciff. What are the positive and negatives I could have with each.

BK

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hey All,

Am looking into the Seek outside shelters to have for when I hunt with more than just myself. looking for something to hold between 2-3 people with a stove. My question in do I go with the cimarron, tipi or redlciff. What are the positive and negatives I could have with each.

BK
3 with a stove would be better served with a Redcliffe. Would be snug in a Cimarron with 3 guys, stove, and gear. Footprint of the shelter will be your biggest hindrance in finding a spot big enough to pitch it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Must always remember 3 guys, their gear, and the stove and the wood pile. The benefit of the RC is the ease of pitching it. It has a square foot print, so it sets up quickly and the taunt is usually a hit 1st try. I can stake four stakes down and run the center pole up and be out of the rain or snow in a matter of minutes.

Other tipi prints or pyramid types might often require some re stretching of lines to stakes until mastering the set up and all the stakes need to be set to get the value of the floor area.
The RC is only slightly heavier than a smaller tipi as well.

Depending on how light you like to go or how far you are going in - you might even want to consider something bigger like their 8 man. It's about perfect for 3 and a stove and gear. Redcliff would be fine just more snug if with 3 and the stove - would be perfect for 2. The 8 man tipi is only 1.5 lb heavier than the Redcliff if you spring for the carbon pole - plus a few more ounces of chimney length assuming you pick the same stove size. Buys you almost an additional 50% of floor space (though not quite as usable due to the tipi footprint same), and 1.5 ft. of additional ceiling height.

Last edited:
I like the Little Bug Out with a base-tarp-base configuration. It is very versatile and you can change your set up for each hunt and the body count.

Whitty

FNG
I have a Cimmaron and it is great with 2, gear, and the stove...plenty roomy and comfortable. Would be tight with 3, gear, and stove but doable. The Redcliff is the way to go imo due to ease of setup and weight to room ratio.

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I own the LBO+3 piece vestibule, Cimarron, and the 8 man tipi with full liner and mesh doors. The 8 man takes longer to set up for sure, but it's a great shelter once it's up. I've never had 3 in it with stove, but 2 and stove is cavernous. You could easily do a third guy in there, plus gear and a huge wood pile. The Cimarron with a stove, 2 guys and gear is the limit for me. 3 guys would be real snug in there with a stove...you'd end up with gear stored outside.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Thanks for all the advise all. Looks like I need to factor in the larger tipi now. the research continues. This was all very helpful though.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
6-man Tipi or Redcliff. Both would suit you perfectly. I personally prefer the Tipi after staying in both. I'll also admit that I think i'm in the minority with that preference.

mcseal2

WKR
I'd also go with the 8 man if you think you might have 3 very often. We run an 8 man for 2 of us when we aren't carrying it to far. With the stove, gear, wood, and the Thermarest cots we use it feels about right. We run a half floor and put both cots on that half and just use the one door on the floorless side. Gear is stored along the wall or on the floorless side in dry bags.

BG775

FNG
I run a red cliff with a stove. We had three in there with the stove last year. Definitely a little snug with gear, but there is room. Another plus with the red cliff is being able to stand up. Pitching the pyramid is really easy too

We have a 6-man with stove. Awesome for two, three is workable.

For 3+stove, woodpile, gear......….I'd suggest at minimum Redcliff or 6-man tipi.

If you can go 8-man, you'll be living large, with 3 plus all the trash.

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
If you come from a backpacking tent background, the cimmaron is a palace for 2-3 with a stove. If you come from a base camp background you will want the red cliff. I was used to a Big Ag 2 man fly creek which had enough room for me and my pack and sitting up was a challenge. I switched to the LBO w/ vestibule and it’s like a hotel. With my stove I can do 3 guys no problem, but we are all backpackers and use the tent to sleep, not hang out like Base campers. You go to a wilderness trail head in WY and you see all the out of states setting up 20 ft wall tents and campers, those guys couldn’t get 2 guys in a redcliff. It’s all about weight/space needed for what you plan to do.

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
I'll throw in another alternative - I just bought a Redcliff and used it last weekend and I absolutely love it. While 3 with gear, stove, and wood pile would be a little tight, I think I've found the right solution, even though I seldom hunt with three people.

I also bought a DST tarp from SO. I plan to use it when glassing to stay out of the sun/rain/snow; but, in camp, I can pitch it with my trekking poles and use it for the majority of the wood pile as well as gear. It's minimal in regards to extra weight and since I'm going to be using a tarp while glassing, anyways, it'll serve us well to free up some space inside the Redcliff. At $129 extra, that seemed like a reasonable way to cover all the bases.

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm going through this same decision-making process and come from the backpackers world. Most of the time, my use would be two adult men. It's the occasional additional of a third that's the rub. I would be backpacking the tent in so weight considerations are important.

The move from a Cimmaron to a Redcliff adds $450 and at least 27oz. I'm wondering if the occasional times when a third man would join the wood could be stored outside and covered (or encased) with a 2 mil plastic sheet. Lightweight and low cost solution. It would be less than ideal and I wouldn't consider it if it was regularly used by three. Then I'd go with the Redcliff.

Any thoughts?

superA

WKR
I'm going through this same decision-making process and come from the backpackers world. Most of the time, my use would be two adult men. It's the occasional additional of a third that's the rub. I would be backpacking the tent in so weight considerations are important.

The move from a Cimmaron to a Redcliff adds $450 and at least 27oz. I'm wondering if the occasional times when a third man would join the wood could be stored outside and covered (or encased) with a 2 mil plastic sheet. Lightweight and low cost solution. It would be less than ideal and I wouldn't consider it if it was regularly used by three. Then I'd go with the Redcliff.

Any thoughts?

Take a look at the little bug out shelter and all the options you can add to it.

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider

Any thoughts?

Most of my hunting is with one other person. Although it did add some weight and some cost, I believe in buy once cry once. With the added weight, it isn't a huge deal because the shelter is in one pack and the pole and stakes in another. For me, anyways, the added benefit of all of that extra room as well as being able to stand up in the shelter, was the deal breaker. Since most of my hunting is done with two guys, the Redcliff is like a backcountry mansion while the Cimmaron still proved to be a little tight with two guys, a stove, wood, and gear. With two guys, the tarp option outside of the tent for gear storage and a woodpile isn't really required; but, it'll definitely free up a lot of space so the shelter is more accommodating.

If price is a key factor, I'd go with the Cimmaron and some type of tarp to be able to store gear and wood outside so you maximize the space inside of the shelter for comfort. Granted, comfort is a nicety and you can make it work with just the Cimmaron; but, I've found that increasing comfort in camp makes for more enjoyable hunts, feeling better and staying longer, etc.

Rokwiia

WKR
Excellent points SuperA and MTarrowfinger. Thank you both.

I like the modular design and thought about the LBO but couldn't find any YouTube video I liked that displayed the interior size by itself, with a vestibule, and a base-to-base. I'm visually oriented and if I can't see, I won't understand it.

The other consideration is that I's like to be able to backpack by myself with the tent if friends are busy and can't go. That would mean all of the weight must be carried by me. A pound and a half isn't the end of the world, nor is $450, I was just trying to have the best of all worlds.

I should know better and, in the end, I have to decide what priority each characteristic...weight, cost, room, and tent size...play in my decision.

sneaky

"DADDY"
There is no "one perfect tent". Everything is a trade off. I have an LBO base and vestibule. Would like a Cimarron or RedCliff, but don't need either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent points SuperA and MTarrowfinger. Thank you both.

I like the modular design and thought about the LBO but couldn't find any YouTube video I liked that displayed the interior size by itself, with a vestibule, and a base-to-base. I'm visually oriented and if I can't see, I won't understand it.

The other consideration is that I's like to be able to backpack by myself with the tent if friends are busy and can't go. That would mean all of the weight must be carried by me. A pound and a half isn't the end of the world, nor is $450, I was just trying to have the best of all worlds.

I should know better and, in the end, I have to decide what priority each characteristic...weight, cost, room, and tent size...play in my decision.

You should try to find someone local to look at both. I was able to do that before purchasing and for me, the added benefits that came with the Redcliff made both the price and weight worth it. For what it's worth, I've carried it solo and it isn't the end of the world.