November in Montana - Tent Help

GAPointer

FNG
Hi all,
Going to Montana towards the middle-end of November for a general mule deer hunt. I haven't 100% committed to what unit I will be going to yet so I know weather will vary some but I sold my old tent a few months ago and am in need of a new one.

REI is having a good sale on some Marmot Tungsten (standard & the ultralight versions) 2P tents and I am wondering if they would hold up to Montana weather in November? Will it be warm enough?

I need at least a 2P since my wife camps with me in the off-season and right now I just want to buy one tent.

Thanks for any and all feedback. I appreciate it.

LaHunter

WKR
I would be looking at something like a wall tent or something big enough for a wood burning stove. Mid-late November can be brutally cold

Netherman

WKR
Historical temps in mid-late November for Bozeman are highs in the 40s and lows in the teens. That's probably doable with the type of tent you are looking at with a zero degree bag. The concerns I would have are getting a significant amount of snowfall (shaking snow off the tent every hour sucks) or much colder than average temps.

We were in MT early November last year and had highs in the 30s and the lows were below zero. We had brought backpacking type tents and zero degree sleeping bags. It didn't go well the first two nights and by night three we checked into a local motel. $70 a night divided by the four of us was money well spent.

I'd look into local motels and depending on your budget and future needs a wall tent / floorless with wood burning stove (being able to warm up and get dry is huge). This year we are planning on bringing our wall tent with wood burning stove. We use the wall tent in MI for our deer camp and plan to use it for future western hunts so the startup cost made sense for us.

Yeah, no way would I plan on hunting November in MT without a heated shelter arrangement.

You can do it but it would suck.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
November and Montana typically is snow and cold as noted......good times but dark comes early and with it the need to be comfortable and hunt efficiently meaning some form of heat source....tough to beat a Wall tent and wood stove for this time of year.

OP
G

GAPointer

FNG
I have been hesitant to consider a tipi w/ stove...but I may just have to nut up and bite that bullet. Rats.

204guy

WKR
Lots of guys like to fantasize about backpack hunting. Not to many pulling it off in mid-late November in MT.

Trial153

WKR
12 plus hours a day holed up in unheated two man tent in November in a Montana.....that’s like training to be in coffin. Just me I am breaking out a tipi and woodstove.

Last edited:

aron

WKR
With short and cold days, I wouldn't be in anything but a wall tent at that time of year. I would go insane in a small tent not having the ability to move around or a good stove keeping me warm.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I run a 10x14 Kodiak canvas flex bow tent with a buddy heater and hose attached to outside propane cylinder. It's not wood heat but it works damn good and is easy for one guy to set up and wreck out relatively quick when you decide to hunt alone.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
whatever it is make sure you can run heat. i have seen -20 below in nov. and like everyone else has said the short days make for alot of camp time. last sept went from 80degrees to 2ft of snow pretty much overnight

12 plus hours a day holed up in unheated two man tent in November in a Montana.....that’s like training to be in coffin. Just me I am breaking out a tipi and woodstove.

Yea, I’m with this guy. It ain’t happenin’. I’d have to be in some kind of canvas tent(wall tent, Kodak, or other) with a heat source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

GAPointer

FNG
Thanks everyone, y’all are making me give this a lot of thought...which I can appreciate.

Would anyone’s opinion change if I were able to swing the first week of rifle season starting Oct 20? I was just thinking November for the rut but I am not opposed to going earlier.

LaHunter

WKR
Not sure of the elevation you will be at, but I hunt WY in mid-late October anywhere from 8500-9500 ft. Most years, nighttime temps will get well below freezing and past two years, they got down probably in lower teens / maybe single digits. Bad ass cold and wind.

Last year mid day highs got up to 22 degrees for 2-3 days with some really high winds. 2 years ago was very similar, except wind was worse.
Over the past 5 years, 4 of them have been cold and windy, with night time temps getting really cold with several days of snow involved. 3 years ago was fairly mild and dry with just a little snow on my last day.

Not sure if you have been hunting out west before, but if Montana wind is anything like WY wind, it is like nothing you have experienced before, coming from GA. You will just have to experience it to get the full appreciation / disdain for it.

I am in a wall tent with a pile of cut wood to burn in my stove at night when I get back to camp, but that's just me.

Last edited:

DaveC

WKR
Potentially a chilly experience with all the mesh on the inner. It could hold fine, but could also get smashed by any significant amount of snow and/or wind.

I'd echo what the others have said; doing a backpack hunt in Montana in November often means winter conditions (the first night of my mid-Nov elk hunt last year got close to zero), which is doable but adds quite a few extra layers of complications. A wood stove for drying gear is very nice, in my book that's a more important thing than heat for hanging out.

Then again, on Thanksgiving day last year I was mountain biking in short sleeves, so catching a warm spell is totally possible.

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
GA,

Tyler with the Wall Tent Shop here. If you decide to look into wall tents give us a call. We've got smaller options in stock (8x10) and can do custom light weight wall tents if thats more your style.

Best of luck with your hunt!

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
I run a 10x14 Kodiak canvas flex bow tent with a buddy heater and hose attached to outside propane cylinder. It's not wood heat but it works damn good and is easy for one guy to set up and wreck out relatively quick when you decide to hunt alone.

This year is our first trip as well. We are heading out first week of November that that will almost identical to our set up. 12X12 with a double burner propane. Good to hear it worked well for you!!!

WIHUNTER

FNG
If you can afford a Kifaru Sawtooth and a titanium stove it will work for what you want to do. I have hunted Montana the same timeframe the past 3 years with this setup and it has been awesome. Weather has been anywhere from below zero at night to highs in the 70's during the day. The stove easily heats the tent and allows you to go to sleep in a warm tent. Obviously it cools off quickly once the fire goes out. Also helps with drying out wet clothes.