Enlightened Equipment Recon Bivy Review

Mudd Foot

WKR
Nice review and insight guys. Am torn between this and the MLD Superlight. Am hoping someone could aid with a couple of questions:

1. Are any of you running the Recon see issues with there being room to either side sleep?
2. How about tossing-n-turning?

Thanks in advance,

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Nice review and insight guys. Am torn between this and the MLD Superlight. Am hoping someone could aid with a couple of questions:

1. Are any of you running the Recon see issues with there being room to either side sleep?

Thanks in advance,

I'm a side sleeper and had no issues. My shoulders do brush the bivy when I turn over but I didn't have a problem with that.

dkime

WKR

Thanks in advance,

I am a side sleeper and have had no issue with being able to keep the net off of me. However, I do think I am going to swap out the elastic draw strings with something more rigid. I would think if you tossed and turned a lot you may be able to slide the bivy to a place where the draw strings are no longer elevating the net as much as before, This hasn't happened to me yet but I guess you could say it's possible.

cmaas

FNG
I recently bought the new 3 wire bivvy by big Agnes and then I discover this EE bivvy. I’m always under a tarp or in my floor less shelter. I’m now torn. Should. Be going this route rather than a full on bivvy. Comments.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I recently bought the new 3 wire bivvy by big Agnes and then I discover this EE bivvy. I’m always under a tarp or in my floor less shelter. I’m now torn. Should. Be going this route rather than a full on bivvy. Comments.
I would switch to something lighter if I were in your shoes.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

3forks

WKR
My recon performed really well on a very wet trip this week.

I use a floorless pyramid, and I wanted to add a bivy to my system for some insurance against mosquitos. I really haven't had too many issues with bugs, but knew I might want some additional protection for a trip where we needed to camp where the mosquitos were horrendous in previous years.

Anyway, on this last trip, we ended up camping in a less than optimal spot and I had to pitch my shelter against a hill where I knew I would have some issues with water running into my shelter if it rained hard. I knew the recon had a design that would offer some additional splash protection when I was researching bivies, but it was really not an attribute I appreciated until this trip.

As anticipated, the bugs were bad, and I pitched the recon in my shelter. However, the bugs soon turned out to be a nonissue because it began to rain hard and was not letting up. The drainage issue I was worried about did occur. I'm tall, and I orient myself somewhat at an angle so I have more distance between the shelter wall for my head and feet. The rain was coming in sheets and the volume of water was coming down fast enough that drips off my shelter wall were causing a significant splashing issue.

I'll shorten this story, and just say that in a bivy without the additional water resistant material at the head, it would have been a soggy and miserable night. Granted, a better location to pitch the shelter would have probably negated some of my issues, but I didn't have that option.

I think the weight of the recon, and its design really does make it one best options for anyone wanting to use a bivy either as specifically bug protection, or an option to add versatility and additional protection to a floorless shelter.

Last edited:

Takeem406

WKR
Really? I don't have that issue with mine

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
With my Xtherm pad and a pillow it was super tight! Awesome bivy just wasn't tall enough! Super bummed! Their quilt is a huge game changer and the company is super pro hunting! And they don't hide the fact they are hunters.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried this bivy paired under a kifaru supertarp? Pitched off or to the ground? Wondering how easy(enough room) it would be to get in pitched to the ground. Thanks.

WKR
Looking at the EE tarp/bivy combo for solo hunting. I like the bivy, and it seems to be a good value. The tarp, on the other hand, seems quite expensive. $190 for a 7d sil/PU nylon tarp is pretty steep. If it were cuben, aka dyneema composite, I'd expect that price tag.

Am I off base with this thought?