Enlightened Equipment Recon Bivy Review

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a big fan of floorless shelters, especially ultralight floorless shelters. This fall I will be testing out the Enlightened Equipment Recon Bivy on all of my trips where I use one.

IMG_6327.jpg

This weekend my son and I did a quick overnight camping trip to a little lake near our house. We used my Kifaru Sawtooth since it was the two of us and I got a chance to try out the Recon for the first time.

IMG_6334.jpg

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
At an advertised 6.35 ounces for the regular size, the Recon is right up my alley. (I'll check it on my scale later)

I am still trying to like this one.

I have used traditional bivy for a long time. I finally bought a decent tarp so I was thinking about an inner mesh tent with a bathtub floor.

It seems like this EE version wouldn’t be as breathable as a mesh with a decent bathtub It isn’t going to shed rain like the traditional bivy.

I am struggling to see the utility of the design.

Please enlighten me.

amp713

WKR
I hadn't seen this yet so now I'm curious to check it out and hear about it

Netherman

WKR
I am still trying to like this one.

I have used traditional bivy for a long time. I finally bought a decent tarp so I was thinking about an inner mesh tent with a bathtub floor.

It seems like this EE version wouldn’t be as breathable as a mesh with a decent bathtub It isn’t going to shed rain like the traditional bivy.

I am struggling to see the utility of the design.

Please enlighten me.
I just got one and like that it's a bit more splash proof than an all mesh with bathtub design. The only problem I've found is that it is difficult to keep the top mesh taught.

If you can't keep it taught the screen lays on top of you and kind of defeats the purpose as the mosquitoes can bite you thru it. The shock cord works but has to be pulled up and away which is difficult in a lot of cases. If you look at justin's picture and mine you can see what I am talking about.

Next time I'm going to try adding another line on the foot end to see if I can get it tight that way.
25bd01320dd60f63265a15deaaa1f6be.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I got mine last week, the long/ wide version of this. I believe it was 7.1oz on my scale in its little stuff sack.

Spent a night in it in a kicked out deer bed without a tarp and was just fine. Well, as fine as you can be from picking a not so level deer bed at over 8k feet.

Didn't know if I needed to, but I seam sealed it before I left for work this week so it's at the house drying from that.

I can say there was a considerable wind and I never got the first draft. Had my Xlite pad and EE Revelation quilt. Could feel the wind across my face, but was very warm in the bivy.

I think for what I got it for, under my LBO, it fits the bill perfectly. Keeps everything together and drafts out. Now, if I could convince Gear Aid to make some Tenacious Tape that's like grip tape on one side to help with slipping... oh man, that would be heaven. Next step is no slip strips on the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Oh, forgot to mention. That center zip is nice for getting in and out of the bivy and for loading your sleep system in. I left my bag inside it and just stuffed them together when I got ready to roll out that morning.

amp713

WKR
Oh, forgot to mention. That center zip is nice for getting in and out of the bivy and for loading your sleep system in. I left my bag inside it and just stuffed them together when I got ready to roll out that morning.

If you come through roosevelt anytime soon let me know I'd love to see one in person ha

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Just packed my gear for a trip this weekend and threw the bivy on the scale.

6.6 ounces in it's stuff sack for the regular size.
e48227ec8e0d57d57ab2c6ec4a14be8d.jpg

Netherman

WKR
I tried adding another line at the foot but it didn't work out very well. I ended up tying some cordage around the end of the zipper and think this is going to be as good as it gets. I am a little worried about the durability of this hack though. I think I need to sew on a tab to tie off to.

Maybe we can get Justin or another member of "management" to see if EE can add a tie out/shock cord point going forward. Assuming that others see this as an issue.

View attachment 78508View attachment 78509

sneaky

"DADDY"
Did yours not come with a cord at the foot? Your pics didn't show up for me. Mine has a shock cord at the head and the foot end.
I tried adding another line at the foot but it didn't work out very well. I ended up tying some cordage around the end of the zipper and think this is going to be as good as it gets. I am a little worried about the durability of this hack though. I think I need to sew on a tab to tie off to.

Maybe we can get Justin or another member of "management" to see if EE can add a tie out/shock cord point going forward. Assuming that others see this as an issue.

View attachment 78508View attachment 78509

Netherman

WKR
Did yours not come with a cord at the foot? Your pics didn't show up for me. Mine has a shock cord at the head and the foot end.

Mine did but with my tarp pitch I can't pull it up and away like I would need to.
767aa6bf9f87ac0cf3c985cc9612accc.jpg
5e4b5cfd6f98981a3b921a507e08b077.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Netherman

WKR
After a few more nights I've decided to add a loop to allow me to keep the tie out. If you use an A-frame pitch and pull both ends out and away it is better but it still doesn't keep the netting away as well as the mid-point tie out.

Anyone else notice there's not enough head room? With an Xtherm and a pillow my face is pressed against the mesh...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Anyone else notice there's not enough head room? With an Xtherm and a pillow my face is pressed against the mesh...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Really? I don't have that issue with mine

dkime

WKR
I bought two of these earlier in the year and have run each one extensively through summer and fall. So far I'm still in love with them. I do have my concerns on durability but that's not what you buy a 7oz bivy for