Lightweight Synthetic Sleeping Bag?

I have been alternating between a current 20 degree slick bag and a marmot 15 degree trestles in the last year.
To me the marmot beats the slick bag. Its much warmer for the advertised 5degree difference- i don’t think the slick bag is truly a 20 degree bag, im thinking more like 30. The 15degree marmot compresses down to roughly the same size as the slick bag.
And in my limited experience from using the trestles for mostly truck camping and “saving” the slick bag for back country hunts - I’m guessing I have used the marmot 3 to 1 for the slick- i have found the marmot to be much more durable.
I have ripped the snow collar on the slick bag, punched random holes in it and popped seems. The marmot looks pretty darn fresh in comparison.
Last weekend while bear hunting a random hole the size of a dime showed up on the front of the slick bag, didn’t have a fire going or anything.
I will say I adore the center zip and wide shoulder width on the slick bag otherwise it probably would have been turned into a dog bed by now. Not sure if I got a dud, but it sure didn’t live up to my expectations after only 1 season.

I have seen the 30 degrees trestles in stores and it is dramatically smaller than the 15degree.
Sometimes budget gear actually works, and you get a little more than what you paid for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THE ONE BAG | United States

I am interested in one of these but have seen one in the wild yet. It is 800 fill down with a synthetic overbag of sorts. Reminds me of the old GI ECWCS bag concept, except it doesn’t weigh 12 pounds.

Jimss

WKR
I use a 0 degree bag for everything from early Colo to Alaska hunting trips. You can always sleep with the bag open or on top of it and climb in if cold. I would much rather be too warm than too cold (which I usually am!). I prefer down due to compactability plus light weight. On my Alaska trips I put it inside a dry bag...am super careful and never had a problem! I'm actually up in Alaska right now on my 5th hunting trip with a down bag and it's worked great!

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Hey Ryan, did you have problems with your WM Badger? I just picked one up because of your podcast with Snyder.

Zero issues. It’s probably my favorite bag. But Tanya always takes it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hey Ryan, did you have problems with your WM Badger? I just picked one up because of your podcast with Snyder.
Problems and WM don't even belong in the same sentence lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried the Kifaru Backcountry Body Bag? Torn between that and an Enlightened Equipment Convert. Prefer a quilt most of the time but want to be able to zip up if it gets too cold. Both seem to be similar weight for similar synthetic insulation.

*zap*

WKR
I definitely know what a down bag can and can’t do with wet clothing. I want to see what a synthetic does.

If you want to wake up dry when your go to sleep clothes are damp you want a wiggys bag. Not light but you will wake up dry, trust me. Being cold AND wet really sux.

Last edited:
OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
To heavy for what I want.

Last edited:
I have a custom apex center zip in the works from nunatak with 7.5 apex. Expected weight is roughly 35 ounces. I expect similar warmth to 20 degree slick bag.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have a custom apex center zip in the works from nunatak with 7.5 apex. Expected weight is roughly 35 ounces. I expect similar warmth to 20 degree slick bag.

Will u post up the true weight when u get it?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think Nunatak is pretty spot on with their weights. I've been eyeing a bunch of their gear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I am strongly considering an Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20* quilt with Apex insulation. long/wide is supposedly only 36.08oz with 20D outer. Dropping to 10D loses 2oz (34.08), 7D looses 1 more oz (33.08). There website is pretty handy to figure weights for different configurations (assuming the numbers are accurate).

Got this pic from Jan today, what he calls the Apex Alpinist Center Zip Mummy and said has been tested and approved. I have not heard final specs but it looks nice. Looks a little tight in the legs but that might just be because of how the footbox is standing up with the heavier Apex.A254B754-FA5E-4976-AB47-9B016527085C 2.JPG