The Wall Tent Shop with future review...

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been asked to do a gear review for the Wall Tent Shop (WALL TENTS - FREE SHIPPING) which is a veteran owned company that I love to support when given opportunities.

I went with a 12x14 and have been getting into using this tent and have been pleased thus far with the functionality and how things have been coming together. I plan to do a full review on one of their tent/stove packages and will have a review article when completed with all my seasons this year.

I wanted to start a thread in regards to their business and the products they offer. Feel free to reach out with any questions as we go along!

Here is the packages that showed up on my doorstep, you can imagine the excitement to give a new tent a try! Full review with pics coming soon! Feel free to reach out with any questions!

Jared

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 223
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Jared Bloomgren

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being a Veteran Owned Company, are the products made in the USA?

That was one of my first questions for the company as well.

Unfortunately not all of the products are American made. Reasons that Rich and the company go outside the USA for their manufacturing partners is due to the process and the relationships that are in place. I too prefer to support a company whose products are all made in the USA but unfortunately in todays fast paced and ever changing environment this isn't always an options.

OP
Jared Bloomgren

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very easy set up and stove curing process.

Attachments

• IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 306

sndmn11

WKR
That was one of my first questions for the company as well.

Unfortunately not all of the products are American made. Reasons that Rich and the company go outside the USA for their manufacturing partners is due to the process and the relationships that are in place. I too prefer to support a company whose products are all made in the USA but unfortunately in todays fast paced and ever changing environment this isn't always an options.

Did Rich offer any more explanation about what is made where; like the tent, stove, etc? Understandably, "not all of the products are American made" but there is a lot of leeway in there between everything but _________ is made overseas, or vice versa.

OP
Jared Bloomgren

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did Rich offer any more explanation about what is made where; like the tent, stove, etc? Understandably, "not all of the products are American made" but there is a lot of leeway in there between everything but _________ is made overseas, or vice versa.

Yes, this will be included in the full review. Rich has had a long term relationship with the suppliers of the products. As much as us red blooded Americans don’t like it, some of the best products are not produced in the USA. And being able to keep the most competitive prices means going outside to get these products. Nature of the beast I guess.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Looking forward to this one Jared. I still have a great fondness for wall tents, having spent so many nights in them. Will this be for a road camp?

OP
Jared Bloomgren

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking forward to this one Jared. I still have a great fondness for wall tents, having spent so many nights in them. Will this be for a road camp?

Yes it will be a fun review! Many memories as a kid getting to sleep in a wall tent. My kids love it! Yes a road camp type setting! Far to heavy to pack in on my back!

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it will be a fun review! Many memories as a kid getting to sleep in a wall tent. My kids love it! Yes a road camp type setting! Far to heavy to pack in on my back!

well of course I didn't mean backpacking!!!! ahahahaha. Around here the wall tents in the backcountry are horse camps and in a few areas, ATV.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tyler,

Shopping wall tents shows how many options are are out there! Curious if you could outline here, based on your experience in this market, your ideal setup for 4. Tent, fly, stove, porch, floor, etc.

Thanks!

OP
Jared Bloomgren

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tyler,

Shopping wall tents shows how many options are are out there! Curious if you could outline here, based on your experience in this market, your ideal setup for 4. Tent, fly, stove, porch, floor, etc.

Thanks!

Yes there are a lot of options! I initially was going to go with a smaller tent starting out until I did some research on proper sizing for my family that includes my wife and our three children. I decided to go bigger and glad I did but it limited my packing potential. Here is a good read off their website.

Sleeping Capacity Vs Tent Size

Last edited:

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Tyler,

Thanks!

Matt,

The options are truly limitless!

For a group of four I would recommend our 14x16 Wilderness Tent or 14x17 Montana Canvas Tent. I am most familiar and have the most experience with our Wilderness and Montana Tents, but have also stayed in the Davis, Kwik Kamp, and Magnum Wall Tents and could't say enough good things about them - All well built products worth consideration.

The 14x16 will allow for adequate room for cots, gear, a table, and room to move around. This is the size we most commonly sell to parties or 4 - 5. One thing many people fail to account for is the room for a stove. Where the stove pipe will come down in your tent is 30" from the front door and 30" from the top of the sidewall, lets call is 3'x3' for sake of simplicity. Most stoves will be around 2' long and 1' wide and we recommend at least a 2' standoff from the stove. All of this combines for the stove requiring a space of 7' x 5'. Typically much more than is accounted for. This is important to consider when determining size.

With any tent we strongly recommend using a fly or tarp to protect your roof. This will extend the lifespan of your tent by at least 50%. Covering your roof is going to protect from sap, pitch, animal droppings, uv rays, help snow and rain slide off, and be an extra line of defense from sparks. It is much easier to clean your fly than it is your tent and it is much more affordable to replace your fly than it is your tent. A wall tent is an investment that should last you a lifetime and I believe it is wise to protect it. Our standard fly will cover your tent front to back and allow for a 1' overhang on each side to allow rain to run off and away from your tent. Our extended fly will cover your tent plus 8'. The extended fly is nice if you want a covered area out front for hanging out, storing firewood and coolers, and for cooking. Determining which is best for you will be solely based on the amount of room you have and what you prefer.

The ideal stove for the 14x16 tent is going to be our mid size stove, the Wilderness 4 (Square) or Yukon 4 (Round). Stove heating capability is mainly determined by the space of your firebox. The Wilderness stove comes in at 26" long x 14" wide x 14" tall. The Yukon comes in at 26" long x 16" wide x 14" high. Each stove will feature an airtight door, air intake on the door, and damper within the pipe to allow for full control of your burn.

What we call a porch is an 8' canvas extension of your roof and sidewalls. The porch is nice if you want an even more protected are for firewood, coolers, and relaxing. Many individuals who are doing winter camping go with the porch option as it keeps their firewood well protected. This porch would be cover by your extended fly.

Our Wilderness Floor is option that you are not going to regret. This floor is full size to that of your tent and is constructed of an 18oz fiber reinforced vinyl similar to a heavy duty truck tarp. It features webbing and d-rings in each of the four corners to allow you to stake it tight into the ground. It is heavy enough to disallow puncture from twigs and rocks, but at the same time pliable enough to allow for the contours of the ground - the best of both worlds!

The most important thing to keep in mind is to base your set-up off your specific needs. These are going to vary based on season, geography, and group size.

As aways, I am here if you need me!

Tyler

OP
Jared Bloomgren

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have used my set-up on three different trips and I cannot believe how much more comfort having a canvas tent offers. The benefits are great while the fallbacks are few and far between! I have to say that I have learned a lot since I began using one that is for sure!

Full review coming soon! Anybody on the fence about buying a canvas tent?

ianpadron

WKR
When's the full review due out Jared?

I'm in the market for a wall tent and have been bouncing back and forth between the Kodiak Canvas Cabin tent vs. a traditional 12x14

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP
Jared Bloomgren

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
After hunting season has slowed down. I have a week trip planned in December with the tent and want to use it in the nastiest of elements! This far I have been very pleased with their products and especially their service!

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
After hunting season has slowed down. I have a week trip planned in December with the tent and want to use it in the nastiest of elements! This far I have been very pleased with their products and especially their service!

We're excited to see how this turns out for you! The pics on Instagram have made it look like it's quite chilly in the places you have ventured!

Hairhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using my 8X10 wilderness tent with internal frame kit for several years now,and love it! no complaints whatsoever,and it still looks almost brand new,and sheds water like a ducks back.

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been using my 8X10 wilderness tent with internal frame kit for several years now,and love it! no complaints whatsoever,and it still looks almost brand new,and sheds water like a ducks back.

That's what we like to hear! Thank you for sharing our experience with us!

If there is anything you need in the future, please let us know.