Pine tree sap on tent.

Scrappy

WKR
I have a tarptent stratospire that got pretty covered in sap from my elk hunt. Any ideas on how to safely remove the sap without damaging the material. I honestly haven't taken it out from the stuff sack yet. Kinda afraid to look.

Graves14

WKR
You can buy fabric safe solvent at a fabric store. I’d call tarp tent though and ask them.

oldgoat

WKR
Hand sanitizer works great for getting it off of your hands, but as was mentioned that might remove the DWR, but that can be restored with the Nikwax Stuff

OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

WKR
No way on the off. I spilt a bottle of that stuff on the floor of my boat one time. Eat all the way down to the bare aluminum. I think you could actually dissolve a body with that stuff. I think I like the idea with the dirt. I going to get it out today and see how bad stuck together it is.

OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

WKR
Well it was actually really easy to get off. After a week I put it up and the sap had dried and washed right off for the most part. It didn't all come off but really all I wanted was it to not be sticky. Thanks for all the ideas guys

Hand sanitizer works great for getting it off of your hands, but as was mentioned that might remove the DWR, but that can be restored with the Nikwax Stuff

Hand sanitizer is also great for getting it off your tent fly! That is what we use here at Tarptent. It will NOT affect the waterproofing of your tent, but (for future reference) the Nikwax stuff is NOT the stuff to use to rewaterproof a Tarptent. We use silicone based fabrics, so you'll actually want to use Atsko Silicone Waterguard. However, we only see this as necessary after a tent has been on multiple thruhikes or a trip around the world. That's when the waterproofing starts wearing off.

Regular old rubbing alcohol will dissolve sap in a hurry. Even old dried on sap. Hand sanitizer is mostly ethyl alcohol so it works too.

OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

WKR
Thanks for the info Erica@tarptent and thanks for building an awesome tent.