Dyneema Flat Tarps

I've been using a Kifaru Sheep Tarp for the last two seasons. It's great. Only issue is I'd like a little more width and coverage for an A frame pitch.

Kinda looking at Hyperlite but wondering if $350 for a tarp is a little retarded or if it's with it? I really like the UL Bivy and tarp for quick trips in fair weather or early season when trying to locate elk. Is there another brand that's a little more blue collar friendly that's in that 8.5x8.5' size range? I really like the half a pound weight though! It seems going UL is all about how much coin do you want to spend to save oz!

How does Dyneema compare to silnylon? How's it hold up in the wind?

Is there a Silnylon tarp that's be about that same size? I see Kifaru has their 10x10 but that's too big and heavy.

Thanks

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Dyneema and blue collar don't belong in the same sentence. No matter who makes it, if it's dyneema...it's gonna be expensive. For just carrying in my pack for emergency use I bought a UST tarp from Sportsmans Warehouse, or Wally World. 14oz with steel stakes and all, guy lines included. Think it's 6 by 8ft or something like that. You can use it as an emergency blanket too lol. 30 bucks. They make a bigger one, but if you want something to use a lot, I'd call up Jimmy Tarps or Bear Paw or Seek and check prices on whatever you want. Bear Paw does dyneema too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

duchntr

WKR
An 8x10 is what you want for primary sleeping shelter. I have a cuban 8x10 tarp from Bear paw wilderness designs I got used, quality is obviously not on par with anything I own from HMG but for a tarp it works fine. The majority of my experience with dyneema comes from an ultamid 2 mid, it holds up great in the wind and rain and does not stretch. The majority of the negative feedback I hear is from manufacturers who only sell silnylon. BTW I have slept under an 8x10 silnylon tarp a lot of nights in nasty weather and think its a great option. I wouldn't spend 300 on a flat cuban tarp. If you really want a cuban tarp for cheaper get on backpacking lights classifieds.

superA

WKR
Looking at expense vs performance I bought a DST from seek outside. Two of them now actually. Ill take the money saved and spend it on saving weight on other gear, knowing I have a shelter that is not only versatile but very tough.

Like what’s already been said, CF is not cheap, so it pretty much doesn’t matter who’s making the tarp, if it’s made of CF, you’re going to pay. That said, IMHO it’s a much better material for a shelter than silnylon, and I don’t think anyone makes a better shelter out of CF then what HMG is making. Again, just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Like what’s already been said, CF is not cheap, so it pretty much doesn’t matter who’s making the tarp, if it’s made of CF, you’re going to pay. That said, IMHO it’s a much better material for a shelter than silnylon, and I don’t think anyone makes a better shelter out of CF then what HMG is making. Again, just my opinion.

I still wanna know how that patrol tarp has worked out lol

I still wanna know how that patrol tarp has worked out lol

I’m loving it! I haven’t used it a ton, and I haven’t used it in any big blows, but I have used it a fair amount and it’s working out very well. I clipped in a Zpacks bathtub floor, so completely protected from the elements and I don’t have to use a bivy to keep my bedding contained. All in at only 14 oz. (not including my pad or quilt), it’s pretty hard to beat I think.

superA

WKR
I’m loving it! I haven’t used it a ton, and I haven’t used it in any big blows, but I have used it a fair amount and it’s working out very well. I clipped in a Zpacks bathtub floor, so completely protected from the elements and I don’t have to use a bivy to keep my bedding contained. All in at only 14 oz. (not including my pad or quilt), it’s pretty hard to beat I think.

Please continue to update with the review of the patrol tarp and the bathtub. For myself, the better bivys get, the lighter I can go with the tarps.

aeasley10

WKR
I know this is for a tarp shelter but thought some reading this might find it useful.

I have a silnylon ground tarp, but have recently switched to using simple plastic drop cloth 2 or 3mm. Cut to whatever size you want, quieter & lighter than Tyvek, and super cheap. Packed up, mine is smaller than my fist and weighs 4.5oz for a piece
84 X 48.

Last edited:

Takeem406

WKR

I think I'll go for the HMG. I've been looking at them and the zpacks and Yama. It looks like the HMG has more guy out points. I saw one in eBay where a guy added a second guy out a few feet in along the crest to close off an end.

Super spendy but I'll just have to backpack more to get my monies worth.

I'd DIY one but I don't have time. Just a few pennies saved up.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Keep an eye on the backpackinglight classifieds, cuben tarps pop up frequently.

That yama option looks nice, Lite outdoors makes a budget friendly one too.

https://www.liteoutdoors.com/product/silnylon-tarp/

I got one of these because a few ounces wasn't worth the savings for the amount I use a tarp and for $100 I don't really care if I wreck it. Not afraid to use it for a ground cloth when breaking down an elk, i'd have a hard time doing that with a HMG tarp.

I priced Dyneema tarps and just couldn’t do it. Went more traditional route.

Very happy with my seekoutside DST. $130 bucks. More or less square at 9x10. Lots of pitching options. 19oz plus lines and stakes. I used mine with their 9oz ground cloth so my total shelter weight is right at 2# all in and could easily accommodate 2 people and all for less than $200. I pitched it in freezing rain for a 2-day hunt last November while my buddies did a traditional tent. I stayed warm and dry and had all the room in the world while they were a bit too cozy.

A bit of a different angle, but I also picked up a six moon designs gatewood cape. I am still testing it out but it so far I plan to use it in place of a small 5x7 tarp I carried on day hunts and for light overnights in good weather. It is a bit snug for more than a night or so but it works as a one man tent well enough. It might be worth a look.

PlanoDano

FNG
Good luck with the HMG,

I just went through the same decision process. Each of the materials were a compromise
this is the way I understood it

DCF
Pros
Strength to weight,
Light weight
Least water retention
Least Stretch
Cons
Expensive
less abrasion resistance
Does not Stuff
Larger volume after packing

Silnylon
Pros
2/3 to 1/2 as expensive as DCF
Better strength to weight than silpoly
stuffs and compresses
Better abrasion resistance than DCF, better tear resistance than silpoly
Cons
Higher stretch
Has to be re-tightened during the night in some situations
Retain more water than Silpoly

SilPoly
Pros
Comparable in price to SilNylon
Less stretch than SilNylon
Less water retention than Silnylon
Can stuff and compress
Cons
Has less tear resistance than silnylon

I almost went the same way as you but opted for the silpoly instead
because
I already have a couple of silnylon tarps in my quiver just not that optimal 8.5 square
I cannot get over the cost per ounce saved for DCF
In the back of my mind I am probably over rating the inconvenience of folding and the extra packed volume of DCF