Kifaru quilt

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone had a chance to try the Kifaru quilt out? Any thoughts on it? And how the pad straps work?

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone had a chance to try the Kifaru quilt out? Any thoughts on it? And how the pad straps work?

I’m running one right now. Without too much of a spoiler from the review, but it is the best thought out quilt I’ve ran. (I have 4) the straps work better than any other design I’ve used as well.

mrgreen

WKR
Travis, looking forward to your review. I'm interested in the advantage over the 20deg Slick Bag(which I probably shouldn't have sold).

It looks like the same bulk, with a small weight advantage. Both need a med 5-string stuff sack.

sveltri

WKR
I really like the quilt, but so far have pretty limited use. I haven't taken the time to really understand how the straps work. Overall, I'd buy it again.

OP
R

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
Look forward to the review. Very interested to hear how the straps work and how hey compare to other companies like EE. Thinking about replacing my 20degree bag with one.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm curious what the big deal with the straps is. They are the first thing I take off my quilts. They are annoying as hell to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been using mine the last few nights as well as a couple this summer. I’m a cold sleeper so I was skeptical on this elk trip but so far I’ve been impressed. I wear a hooded sweatshirt and pants to bed while hunting, it was 28 yesterday morning and I really didn’t get cold which surprised me. Looking forward to using it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
That’s good to hear. Have you been using the straps with the pad? If so how do you like them? Not much info on how they work.

I’ve been using mine the last few nights as well as a couple this summer. I’m a cold sleeper so I was skeptical on this elk trip but so far I’ve been impressed. I wear a hooded sweatshirt and pants to bed while hunting, it was 28 yesterday morning and I really didn’t get cold which surprised me. Looking forward to using it more.

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
Can someone explain why kifaru uses 2 layers of Apex 3 instead of Apex 6 on this quilt?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s good to hear. Have you been using the straps with the pad? If so how do you like them? Not much info on how they work.

Yep I have been using the straps. They are basically 2 bungies that are adjustable. So you can tighten the sides of the bag as desired around the pad. Then there’s a another bungee thing around the collar to tighten on your shoulders. It’s been all positives so far.

Trial153

WKR
wondering how this compares the the EE Apex. I just used the EE for 10 days in WY and it was pretty sweet. I am liking quilts more and more. I can see me being bagless shortly

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

Here are a couple photos I took of it.
155792b1be7735d0082e96b3eca1acf6.jpg
59381a492bcc7bc62c66450ed02fe71e.jpg

OP
R

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the pictures Jordan that is it very helpful and what I wanted to see. So the sides of the quilt tuck around the edge of the pad. A little different than the EE (what I wanted to see how it compared) and I can see how this would still keep the air drafts from getting in. Thanks again!

Here are a couple photos I took of it.
155792b1be7735d0082e96b3eca1acf6.jpg
59381a492bcc7bc62c66450ed02fe71e.jpg