Wall Tent Tarp

Clarktar

WKR
We have a 14x16 Davis wall tent. Works great and it is nice having the wood stove. I have found that if I don't keep the stove cranking the canvas is pretty wet to the touch. Wet enough that water will run down some of the internal frame and get to a point where it will drip. I see that Davis tent sells a rain fly that goes over the entire tent. I am wondering if anyone has purchased a heavy duty tarp or some other approach rather then spend the money on a Davis tarp.

Thanks,

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've used regular flat tarps. They work, but they are aggravating. I need to get one from Davis sized to fit mine. I've got a 16x20 Davis myself. All they need is the cut sheet they sent with your tent and it'll be an exact fit. I've had wind shred the grommets on a couple of tarps. By the time you buy a new tarp for every trip you could have bought one from Davis and be done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
With any wall tent that we sell we recommend a fly or tarp to keep the moisture off your tent. It will also help to keep sap, pitch, and bird dropping off your roof while protecting you from UV rays. It can also act as an extra line of defense from the sparks exiting your stove if they happen to make it through your spark arrestor.

As mentioned, the advantage you'll have with a wall tent specific fly is that it should have a corresponding stove jack opening to that of your tent. You can use a tarp, but if your stove pipe exits through the roof you'll have to mess with installing a opening which is easier said than done.

If you are in a hurry, we've got fly's for 14x16 tents in stock with a stove jack opening in the roof (30" from the front door and 30" from the top of the sidewall). Ours will features d-rings along the eaves as opposed to grommets, which can pop out with high winds.

Best of luck on your hunts this fall!

I have a tarp from Davis and love it. never had an issue with dampness in the tent. I also love the 5ft that extends over the front to place items outside and give you more room in the tent.

P1010173.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a tarp from Davis and love it. never had an issue with dampness in the tent. I also love the 5ft that extends over the front to place items outside and give you more room in the tent.

View attachment 79231
They actually steered me away from the awning part because of areas we are in with high winds. They said it can catch and turn into a flapping torment lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a Davis rain fly/awning for my 14x16 but I never use it. This year with all the early snow and such I actually put my regular tarp (16x20 fits perfectly) over the tent when I set it up in elk camp.......but it was making so much noise with the wind that I took it off. The only time I use a tarp on the tent is when I expect snow. Rain, even heavy rain for two weeks straight in 2013, hasn't been an issue and I never use my stove during archery season. My current Davis tent is 11 years old and still looks fairly new. My previous one was probably 20 years old when I sold it.

sndmn11

WKR
For sliding snow, UV protection, or ultra wet conditions like the pacific northwest, they can be useful and folks might find them worth buying. My 20ish year old tent has never seen one and I have never wished that I made one for it. The Poly can make some noticeable rustling if the wind wiggles it; that can be minimized with the ropes being as tight as possible but not eliminated. The vinyl material is a lot quieter.

Our production time for a fly (Made in Denver, CO) is 1-2 weeks.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Davis Tent for base camp. As others have said the rain fly protects from UV so the canvas will hopefully last longer and helps shed the snow a bit easier. Used a blue tarp for years and it was ok. Then decided to get Davis rain fly. Called them and they keep records of your tent dimensions and custom size the fly. Really slick deal. Not sure if anyone mentioned this but if you use a rain fly on the canvas it’s best to use some longer poles or tree limbs cut to raise the rain fly at the sidewall a few inches above the tent for air circulation. Keeps the canvas breathing like it should.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but if you use a rain fly on the canvas it’s best to use some longer poles or tree limbs cut to raise the rain fly at the sidewall a few inches above the tent for air circulation. Keeps the canvas breathing like it should.

Ya, but then the wind gets under the tarp and acts like a parachute and makes even more noise. I secure my tarp down tight to the roof and it overhangs each side by 12-18" as well when I use it.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Ya, but then the wind gets under the tarp and acts like a parachute and makes even more noise. I secure my tarp down tight to the roof and it overhangs each side by 12-18" as well when I use it.

That is true but with all the snoring the noise from the rain fly flapping is hardly noticeable!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That is true but with all the snoring the noise from the rain fly flapping is hardly noticeable!

Ya, but I'm the only one in the tent......so I never hear any snoring. Those darn mice though that "pitter patter" across my tarp floor every night drive me crazy. Killed 7 of them this season with traps and by the end they were somehow stealing the food without setting off the traps. I just walk within 2 feet of the trap and they go off, but these mice are somehow able to get the food out and get away clean.:mad: