School Me on Tipi Liners

hunt1up

WKR
Last year was my first experience with a tipi. My hunting partner and I bought a SO 6-Man. We used it on a WY archery elk hunt. We had no stove and no liners. It was pretty wet and we have daily condensation. This season we added a SO 12-Man to the collection. It was a used tipi that came with liners. We also added a stove to the package. This year's hunt was hot and dry. We used the stove some, but not the liners. We had zero condensation with 4 men in the tent.

I was leaning toward selling the liners since they seemed unnecessary. But, I've yet to experience a hunt where they might come in handy.

So, are the liners a must have item? A nice luxury? A pain in the butt?

rayporter

WKR
I have had liner on an 8 and a 6 and sold them.
I have a 12 and a pard said he would never go again unless I got a liner. so I bought a half liner and made an half liner for the 12.

any how when there is perfect conditions with lots of condensation and it starts to rain or sleet outside it can really rain inside as each drop hits the outside it knocks off a mist inside that can be bothersome.

once installed it is not a big pain, just wt. so I don't carry it all the time.

oldgoat

WKR
We finally used our liner last year after having it for three, it made a huge difference to us, the shelter was actually cooler during the day, our liner is white and I think it helped prevent some of the greenhouse effects full sun has with SilNylon shelters. It just stays installed now. I just wish I had a liner for my little solo shelter now

jmez

WKR
Just got back from WY elk hunt and it was dry all but one night. We had three guys is a Tipi and glad we had the liner. A lot of condensation on the dry nights. The night it rained and snowed the inside had more water on it than the outside.

I ran half a liner on my Sawtooth this year for a week. I almost wish I'd have taken both sides. A reason I sold my Megatarp for the Sawtooth was to get a liner. There's nothing worse than when it rains inside your tent.

The liner worked perfectly!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

valtteri

FNG
@Tradlife in your opinion, what were the cons of running just the other liner in the Sawtooth?

I’m asking because I got the liners a while ago and were thinking of running just the other side for weight savings. Haven’t had a chance to go out with it yet so would be nice to know your thoughts.

I think there’s an assumption that condensation forms and then runs or drips down the outer fabric. This is true. However, in a storm with wind, the walls will flap and shake condensation everywhere. I’ve been there and experienced it. Moisture goes everywhere and dampens anything it settles on. Having seen the storm of spray inside my Sawtooth, I use both liner halves.

JPD350

WKR
It was raining inside my Sawtooth a few weeks ago in NM and it made everything wet inside, I woke up thinking I was sleeping outside! anyway I was lucky that I had my bag inside a Bivy sack. The next day I hiked out to the truck and brought the liners back and any condensation issue for the next 10 days was long gone should have just brought them in the first place because it would have saved me hiking an extra 5 miles.

Both liner sides are the way to go!

I'll add that liners are something I often don't need until I REALLY NEED them. In a big tipi it's easier to stay away from the walls and prevent contact with moisture. Drip might be annoying but not a huge deal. It's when the conditions turn extremely humid, damp and windy that things can get extremely wet inside. Guys camping in drier climates might have little need for liners, but I suppose a huge wet air mass could change that. Condensation can be anything from a minor irritation to an actual threat.

In '15 I took a new Sawtooth (and liners) on a hunt to AK. I was hunting at about 5k feet and had no trees or wood for heat. The Sawtooth was great and I didn't install the liners at first. The truth is I had not actually ever installed the liners once in this new shelter, figuring it would be simple to do. Big mistake. The weather turned wet, windy and harsh. Severe condensation formed inside the tipi and the hard-flapping tent sprayed water everywhere. I dug out the liners and began puzzling through the process. Picture a tent flapping in roaring 40 mph winds...spray in my face inside...liners with no clue how to lay out and attach. It was chaotic. I finally got it figured out and got them up but not before the spray got to everything inside. Even with the liners I still had some moisture flying about, but this was a really severe storm system lasting 5+ days. I'm convinced the liners allowed me to ride it out, and without them I might have faced a much tougher outcome.

Trial153

WKR
Thanks Kevin.
I guess I am packing liners when I fly in to hunt to 40 mile herd late next August. I planned on bringing a sawtooth And using it for 2 guys and gear without a stove as I don't know if wood is available in the area.

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin.
I guess I am packing liners when I fly in to hunt to 40 mile herd late next August. I planned on bringing a sawtooth And using it for 2 guys and gear without a stove as I don't know if wood is available in the area.

My pilot had a bunch of guys in the Fortymile area for caribou this year and all did very well. The weather above treeline was generally bad. They all endured clouds, rain, wind and fog. One bunch of guys had 4" of snow drop on them. August and September can give you anything from mild to wild in caribou country.

ndbuck09

WKR
we got weathered in the 40mile area this august hunting caribou and I was super glad I had a double walled Scarp 1 with solid interior.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
once I installed my half liner in the 8man SO tipi, I'll never take it back out. As said above, you don't need them until you need them.