Hilleberg Nammatj 2 GT vs. Nallo 3 GT

yhc

WKR
I am in the market for a new tent and am looking seriously at Hilleberg tents. I will be using the new tent mostly for solo backpacking hunts or with a hunting partner.

After looking through specs online, I have narrowed down to either Nammatj 2 GT or Nallo 3 GT. The specs are as follows:

Nammatj 2 GT: 8 lbs 2 oz, Ht 38", floor space 30.1 sq ft, vestibule 25.8 sq ft, "black label"

Nallo 3 GT: 6 lbs 13 oz, Ht 42", floor space 36.6 sq ft, vestibule 29.1 sq ft, "red label"

Nallo 3 GT is lighter and bigger than Nammatj 2 GT. Both are tunnel design and 4 season tents but Nammatj is built with sturdier materials, thus "black label".

I have not seen either of these tents in person so I would like to solicit opinions from those who have used these tents. My questions are:

1. given these 2 options which one would you choose?

2. Does Nammatj ventilate better than Nallo? From what I can see from design it seems that way....

3. Do you use footprint with your Hilleberg tents?

Regards,

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
I have a Nallo 3 that I've used on quite a few trips to Alaska, Wyo, and Colo. It's stood up to hurricane winds, rain, and snow. The super large vestibule is a definite advantage on long term hunts! The steep sides of the tent are incredible because they offer a lot more room than other tents with angled walls. I use the fly by itself when I want to go super light on early season hunts. It only weighs about 2 lbs and is bomberproof! I add painter's plastic for floor (to keep things clean and dry).

Unless you are camping/hunting in super deep snow I don't think you really need a heavier duty tent than the Nallo 3? If you do much backpack type hunting it is definite nice not having to lug the extra weight! The only problem I've had with my Nallo is the lack of ventilation after a week or 2 in super wet conditions in Alaska. I believe there is only 1 vent so air doesn't dry things out as quick as tents with a vent on each end. I often open the vestibule to allow more ventilation. In Colo and Wyo I wouldn't worry about poor ventilation because it is so much drier than Alaska.

I use a footprint in Alaska. It's worth the extra weight/bulk in super wet areas. The bath tub floor on the Nallo is good but I feel a lot better using a footprint just in case. If I'm backpack hunting Colo or Wyo I would possibly use super light painters plastic to save on weight/bulk. The footprint is added weight and bulk if you want to go fly=weight. The footprint's advantage is it protects from punctures in the floor.

I'm always searching for ways to go lighter and less weight so my recommendation would be the Nallo unless you are doing a bunch of winter camping in super deep snow. The Nallo can hold up to hurricane winds, etc! If you hunt an area with gobs and gobs of rain it would be wise to buy a model with better ventilation. If you want a little lighter than the Nallo the Hilleberg Anjan may be another option. I believe it has vents on both ends plus a little more ventilation with the rainfly being a little higher off the ground.

Jimss

WKR
Forgot to mention another option I've used in Alaska. On a couple Alaska mtn goat hunts I've used the fly off my Nallo in combo with my bivy bag. This combo is a chunk lighter weight than lugging the entire tent plus fly plus footprint and offers a lot of protection from wind/rain. If it's fairly dry out I often place my bag/pad on top of my bivy inside the fly. This saves several pounds. I also have the option of taking my bivy with me on each day's hunt just in case I want to stay out overnight.

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Nallo 3 Gt and it is fantastic. I just got back from a rainy trip in western Washington and it did great. Never had any condensation in the inner tent, only the fly. I do run the footprint and think it is worth the weight to have a “porch” to take off your wet and muddy things on before you get into the tent.

I also use a small candle lantern at night which surprisingly warms the tent and seems to keep condensation at bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
yhc

yhc

WKR
Thank you both for your replies. I am leaning towards Nallo 3 GT but am concerned about the ventilation issues I have read on different forums. However it sounds like you have not had too much of a problem with that except for in very wet environments. That’s good to know.

Have you noticed the foot end of your sleeping bag getting moist from touching the tent wall with condensation due to a steep down slope? The tent floor is 86” long so it seems like it’s long enough for me (74” tall) but I have read some people mentioning this.

Regards,

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
I have not had those issues but I am 5’10. I use a long/wide pad and have about 6” on each end so I’d think you’ll be ok.

OP
yhc

yhc

WKR
Thanks everyone for your input. I placed an order for a Nallo 3 GT.

While researching this topic, I found this Hilleberg video and found it to be very helpful. IF you are looking at getting a Hilleberg tent, take a look at it.

YouTube

Last edited:

CORam

FNG
I have a Nallo 3 Gt and it is fantastic. I just got back from a rainy trip in western Washington and it did great. Never had any condensation in the inner tent, only the fly. I do run the footprint and think it is worth the weight to have a “porch” to take off your wet and muddy things on before you get into the tent.

I also use a small candle lantern at night which surprisingly warms the tent and seems to keep condensation at bay.

I know this is an older thread but where do you put the candle lantern for it to work well? I have been considering the same tent and using a candle lantern, so I'm curious where you put it. Does it work well inside the "nest" or in the vestibule?

Stalker69

WKR
Thank you both for your replies. I am leaning towards Nallo 3 GT but am concerned about the ventilation issues I have read on different forums. However it sounds like you have not had too much of a problem with that except for in very wet environments. That’s good to know.

Have you noticed the foot end of your sleeping bag getting moist from touching the tent wall with condensation due to a steep down slope? The tent floor is 86” long so it seems like it’s long enough for me (74” tall) but I have read some people mentioning this.

Regards,
Same thing I have read, on many different sights. ( condensation) It has kept me from a hilleburg. I don’t want to have to burn a candle or any thing either.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Every single 4 season tent is going to struggle with condensation. It's the nature of the beast. You can't have vents everywhere, you lose precious heat, and spin drift will cover everything in short order. I have a Nallo 2GT, and it has good venting options for it to be a true 4 season shelter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Nallo 3 and like it a lot. I do run a footprint with it. I think the extra weight is worth it to protect a 1k investment in the tent. Usually I carry the tent body and footprint and my hunting partner carries the stakes and poles.