Gear Review: MSR Access 3 Tent

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys, my buddies and I put together our thoughts on the MSR Access 3 Tent. Its another option to consider for your late season, rough weather pursuits.

Check out the review here:
MSR Access 3 Tent Review - Rokslide

Please subscribe to this thread for future updates and potential input from other users.

If you have any questions please let me know!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
It's interesting to me how this design is exactly the same as my 8 year-old ALPS Chaos 3 (before they renamed it the Chaos). It truly is a brilliant design and everyone that has stayed in my tent with me agrees it's the best backpacking tent they have ever been in. My first trip with my Chaos 3 was a through-hike up and over the Guadalupe Mts. of West Texas, and back again. 52 miles in 4 days with about 12K in elevation change. On the first night, that tent took what we later learned were 70 mph winds, and we experienced the same thing - the poles collapsed down and then sprung right back up when the wind died down. I even cooked two MH meals under one of the vestibules, in that roaring wind. After that I was sold.

The dual door and dual vestibule design is a real winner for two guys and gear, or in a pinch, three.

I don't know what specific differences there are between the MSR and the ALPS, but I can't see any. So unless it is a different fabric, it's essentially the same tent. I've been happy with my ALPS. 8 years and countless miles and storms later, it's still bulletproof.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is what I found on the ALPS
Free-standing pole system with 7000 series aluminum poles
75D 185T polyester fly with 1500mm coating resists UV damage and stays taut
75D 185T poly taffeta floor with 3000mm coating
Total weight: 6 lbs. 14 oz.
Chaos 3-Person   /   ALPS Mountaineering

Here is what I found on the Access 3
Rainfly Fabric 20D ripstop nylon 1200mm Durashield
Canopy Fabric 20D ripstop nylon & DWR
Mesh Type 10D polyester micro-mesh
Floor Fabric 30D ripstop nylon 3000mm Durashield
Easton® Syclone™ Poles (a composite pole)
Weight: 5 lbs 1 oz
MSR(R) Access™ 3 Three-Person, Four-Season Ski Touring Tent

The materials and poles are quite different, but interesting that they share a similar design. Appreciate the input.

Good stuff. Yea, the design is almost identical. The "double Y" pole set is a dead give-away and a brilliant design IMO. I don't know enough about materials to know which is considered more durable. I wonder if that weight for the Alps includes the footprint (10 oz.) because that's the packed weight I come up with, including the footprint.

Azone

WKR
Being a owner of a Chaos 3, I will say the opening of the vestibule sucks. The MSR design of having the zipper to the side versus in the middle like the Chaos makes more sense. You pretty much have to un-stake the vestibule to get into the tent, then zip it closed and push the stake back into the ground with the Chaos 3. Being a taller person at 6'4" it is cramped a bit but so far I have no other gripes about it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great review man!! After owning 2 different Hillebergs we now have an MSR as well and really like it. Much better ventilation than the rain forest that was the Hillebergs. :)