Kifaru Slick Bag 20 vs WM terralite 25

TravisIN

WKR
I’m planning on a bag upgrade and am having the old synthetic vs down debate. I currently am running a pretty inexpensive bag, a kelty tuck 22. It’s synthetic, with a “22degree” rating that keeps me sleeping in my underwear to the mid 40s. I’ve used it into the 20s but was bundled up. And I sleep very hot. It’s definitely not a comfort rating and probably more of a survival rating. It’s 49.4 oz/3.09lbs and compresses pretty decent. The zippers sucks and snag all the time. It’s a cheap bag but for the $69 bucks I paid it has been pretty damn good for the price. For a shelter, prefer my floor-less with some Tyvek down. Just throwing that out there for more info.

So at this point my top synthetic candidate is the 20 degree slick bag. I will likely go with the reg wide version. Obviously great reviews everywhere and quite frankly my biggest hold up is the weight and bulk. It’s actually a little heavier for the wide version compared to my current bag. But I’m assuming the temp rating is a lot more legit so I’m getting a lot more bag for the weight. The zippers binding on the materiel is absolutely infuriating to me, so hoping that’s not an issue with this bag.

My top down bag is a WM terralite 25. It’s more semi rectangular that a mummy shapes and looks to have a lot more width which is a plus as a side sleeper. The standard versions is 1 lb 13 oz. Like with the kifaru , anything that WM has out there has pretty damn good reviews. I’m concerned about going down for the same reasons most people are. My concerns make me consider getting a waterproof bivy sack to keep it dry. But if I do that I’m probably close to the weight and bulk of a slick bag. Or am I worrying too much about it?

Basically I’m just putting some of my thoughts on these two bags out there and wanting to hear any suggestions or opinions. Whether it’s on one of these bags or the synth vs down part. Also would be interested if anyone has any good pics of these bags compressed with something to compare size too. Or just size references for how much room you have in these bags. (Im 6’1 190lbs).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
The more space you have in a bag, the more energy it takes to heat it up. WM makes several bags in that 20 degree range that would be more efficient and lighter. I guarantee the Terralite will be warmer than the Slick. Where do you do most of your hunting? Zipper snags are non existent on the WM bags. Their zipper design is awesome. I keep my down bags in eVent sacks, you are way overthinking how hard it is to keep one dry. No need for a full blown dry bag.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
Same size as you (1” taller) and I had these bags on my short list last winter as well. Turned out I could bing my knee to my chest in the regular width slick bag. That would help with your weight and bulk hold up. Talked to the guy at kifaru while laying in the slick bag and was surprised that he didn’t use one. He ran down bags, mont bells. My next stop was across town at a mountaineering shop. Tried on the terralite first and it is HUGE. Way too much room for any practical use imo. The badger was my Goldilocks. Size and weight in between the other two. Have only had it down to 30 but had it unzipped to my waist sleeping in just underwear.

Western Mountaineering's temp ratings are comfort ratings. So many bag manufacturers slap a number on a bag because someone thinks it's okay down to (25, 15, 10) a number. I've been in a TerraLite (own one) at 25 degrees wearing thin merino and was very warm. Loft is outstanding due to the light fabric and high quality down they use. I'll be right up front and tell you I find it very difficult to be unbiased and objective when comparing a WM down bag to any other bag on the market. I don't have any stake in what another guy buys, but after decades of different bags I'm convinced there are no better conventional bags out there than WM. Certainly expensive but so is buying the wrong or lesser bag and not keeping it.

As for goose down: I've never owned a sleeping bag with any fill other than down. Period. A good many decades of use and I've never soaked one or had a moisture issue. No unusual care required. Keep them inside a good dry tent and there's zero worry.

Shrek

WKR
Western Mountaineering's temp ratings are comfort ratings. So many bag manufacturers slap a number on a bag because someone thinks it's okay down to (25, 15, 10) a number. I've been in a TerraLite (own one) at 25 degrees wearing thin merino and was very warm. Loft is outstanding due to the light fabric and high quality down they use. I'll be right up front and tell you I find it very difficult to be unbiased and objective when comparing a WM down bag to any other bag on the market. I don't have any stake in what another guy buys, but after decades of different bags I'm convinced there are no better conventional bags out there than WM. Certainly expensive but so is buying the wrong or lesser bag and not keeping it.

As for goose down: I've never owned a sleeping bag with any fill other than down. Period. A good many decades of use and I've never soaked one or had a moisture issue. No unusual care required. Keep them inside a good dry tent and there's zero worry.

I agree with this 100%. The Terralite is rated at 25* and will be comfortable at 25* with all that room for things like clothes that you keep warm for putting on in the morning and the water filter that needs to be kept from freezing. I love my WM bags and can’t recommend them highly enough.

LitenFast

WKR
I,ll throw this out there since I bought a 20 deg slick long this summer and spent 14 nights straight in it in Alaska’s Brooks Range

Over the last 10 years I progressed from a Kelty light year45, TNF cats meow 20, REI sub kilo 20, to a EE 20 revelation quilt long wide for the last 4 years.

I had been going back and forth between bringing my quilt up there for months vs picking up a synthetic bag.

We were on a dall sheep float hunt floating 40 miles and spiking out from the river up into sheep country for up to 5 days at a time.
Not only that but we spent a significant amount of time crossing streams, enough to be wearing waders for the first two miles of a spike out.

So risk of dunking was pretty high. I caught a deal on a like new slick long Reg width on Kifaru insiders page for 40$ off new and figured why not. I am 6’4” 210# so long was necessary but the wide wasn’t worth the extra weight for me.

So here’s my take on the slick
-I’d say average on warmth vs rating for higher quality brands I sleep warm but had no issues down to freezing and felt I’d be fine a bit colder. Probably about equal warmth to my quilt of same rating.

-really like the center zip, spent some time in the tent during bad weather reading and looking at my phone and it was awesome to lay in my bag with just my hands sticking out.

-compared to my other lightweight bags it just seemed extra comfy, not roomier, but just a hard to describe comfort. Maybe something with the material?

-slightly bulky and heavy. I kept it in my medium 5 string, which I normally keep my Ee quilt and large xtherm inside a borah bivy in which pretty much sums that up.

Looking back I would have been fine with my downtek quilt with a good waterproof stuff sack and could’ve saved some weight, but I won’t be selling my slick anytime soon when extended wet weather is as likely as this trip and jumping into a bag that is wet or a situation where I am very wet is a real possibility. I also just really like the center zip and comfort of it.

I have a love hate with my slick bag.
I’m leaning more towards love after my last hunt where I got soaking wet, and when I got back to camp after a vigorous hike I crawled into the bag with my wet cloths on and not only was warm all night but woke up dry.

The zipper on the slick bag is one you have to baby to keep it from hanging up.

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
Really good info. Thanks guys. It’s making me lean more towards the WM since most of my hunts are gonna be Colorado. Maybe when I make the trip to ALaska I’ll invest in a slick bag

Gumbo

WKR
If you can keep it dry I'd go WM. I had a 0* WM Kodiak and sold it to buy a Slick 0* just so I could beat it up and the wet issue. It is nowhere near as warm as the WM. I HATE the center zip because I am a belly sleeper so I sleep upside down in the bag and consequently get all twisted up. The zipper snags all the time, I removed the velcro on the baffles because it was always snagging on my clothes as tossed and turned. BUT I love not having to worry about condensation, water, or getting in it with damp clothes. I will be buying another Kodiak at some point, but will also keep the Slick to beat up and for wet conditions.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
I love the a lot of things about the Slik. Center zip works great for me as a side sleeper. Width of the foot box is also nice. He 20 degree is just at about, but not quite, warm enough for me. A 10 degree would be perfect.

superA

WKR
After looking at synthetic I've decided I wouldn't use it for 20 degree temps. Warm and damp, 50 degree bag, fine. The weight is just too much. A good bivy should alleviate dampness or splash concerns.

I wrestled with the same issue- Kifaru Slick or WM down. I opted for a WM 0 degree bag. I will say I slept in underwear in the teens and was warm. Hard to beat down. I used a ground cloth made of Tyvek and then my pad. Nothing else. I use a floorless shelter as well, and made sure it was always pitched in a proper location (not in a hole).
Since I have a tent stove, if clothes get wet, I fire it up and they dry out in 30 minutes. I use tech clothes a lot for this reason.

Lawnboi

WKR
If you want down WM makes a heck of a bag. You read a lot of good on here, and for good reason. It wasn’t till I got one, a megalite, that I realized how good they are. Mine has kept me warm slightly below advertised spec. A megalite with overfill may be another option for you. The zippers do not snag, I really like the cut of the bag, I toss and turn a lot and it’s worked better than slim cut bags.

I use a bivy with mine unless I’m in a nest.

I’m buying a versalite here shortly to replace a wiggys zero degree monster of a bag

I have used synthetic as well and for where I hunt I take the risk with down.

I waffled back and forth over the same issue. WM or Slick. Down or Synthetic. I chose the Slick Bag in 0* and haven’t been disappointed yet. Yes it’s a little heavier and a little more bulky. But I don’t have to worry about my sleeping bag and know it’s not gonna fail me 3-5miles from the truck. Having that confidence is invaluable to me. I spend way too much time plotting, planning, training, etc. in my annual Sept CO elk hunts to even have a second thought about my sleeping bag choice. It’s gonna work wet or dry. Center zip has been excellent for me and no complaints. Size is perfect. Went with the 0* so I could use it gear round in any temps and just vent as needed for warmer weather. It’s truly one of my best purchases so far.

sneaky

"DADDY"
There's always the option of a WM bag with the Gore shell. Still substantially lighter, and far less bulkier than the Slick bag.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mmcan

WKR
I have no experience w the slick bag, but have spent many nights in my WM Badger (15deg). I've never been cold in it down into the low teens, and if the temps are really going to drop, a liner makes it even warmer (and more versatile). If it's warmer than expected, just unzip the thing (effortless) Its a great bag. And I appreciate the shape/size of it. 6' 220lbs. The Badger is cut more generously without compromising my ability get it warmed up and stay warm. I loathe mummy bags. Love the Badger. I would replace it immediately if it were lost or damaged somehow.

Badger MF | Western Mountaineering

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We (Seek Outside ) actually carry a few WM bags. The Terralite is a super nice bag if you desire the space and as others have alluded, the zippers and finishing details are awesome. I personally think the Alpinlite, is a nicer bag though, just a tad bit smaller.

As far as down getting wet, its not much of a problem unless you fall in a creek. The shell on the Terralite does have a Hydrostatic head rating of 1200 if memory is correct, which puts it on par with many tents. Water can, however, get in the stitch holes.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Well said. It is why we decided to start offering them.

I have had both bags and have used both on backcountry excursions. I sold the slick and kept the WM Badger. Doubt I will ever desire for a better bag. It's very light, packs down small, especially in the Kifaru string stuff sack. It has plenty of chest room for me to roll around and I have never even been chilled in it.