Kifaru Slick Bag 20 vs WM terralite 25

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
I went through a couple months of agony trying to decide on a lightweight bag for sheep and some other mountain excursions in Alaska and elsewhere. I ultimately decided on the WM Terralite and went with the long version ordered with 4-0z of overfill. Love, love, love this bag. I used it at Trail Camp (12,000') on Mt. Whitney this July, had torrential rain, winds, and temps down into the low 40's. Was super comfy.

Took it to the Wrangells on my sheep hunt. Spent 11 nights in it with a couple in the upper 40's, but most nights we got down close to freezing with three nights well below where there was ice on the little spring pool we were sourcing water. We were in a valley choked out with Glaciers, super high winds, rain several days, snow flurries a couple days and a few inches of snow one day. We camped a couple nights around 5800' and then the remainder were around 6,300'--so it was cold a night with the winds off the glaciers. Was super comfy each and every night--well every night in the bag. Have to correct the above, 10 nights in the bag, 1 night in sweat soaked clothes bivy'd when we butchered sheep into the night and stayed in my emergency shelter at the killsite.

Love, love, love this bag. Have plenty of room to kick my leg out as I typically do and roll over and over as I also typically do. Haven't found myself chilled nor too hot in it yet--albeit I have adjusted what I have slept in between full clothes to boxers.

Oh, and it compresses down to about the size of a nalgene bottle--slightly bigger around but also slightly shorter. Did I mention I love this bag?

Will

sneaky

"DADDY"
Soooo...... just to clarify. Do you think you would buy this bag again? Having a hard time understanding if you actually like it lol
I went through a couple months of agony trying to decide on a lightweight bag for sheep and some other mountain excursions in Alaska and elsewhere. I ultimately decided on the WM Terralite and went with the long version ordered with 4-0z of overfill. Love, love, love this bag. I used it at Trail Camp (12,000') on Mt. Whitney this July, had torrential rain, winds, and temps down into the low 40's. Was super comfy.

Took it to the Wrangells on my sheep hunt. Spent 11 nights in it with a couple in the upper 40's, but most nights we got down close to freezing with three nights well below where there was ice on the little spring pool we were sourcing water. We were in a valley choked out with Glaciers, super high winds, rain several days, snow flurries a couple days and a few inches of snow one day. We camped a couple nights around 5800' and then the remainder were around 6,300'--so it was cold a night with the winds off the glaciers. Was super comfy each and every night--well every night in the bag. Have to correct the above, 10 nights in the bag, 1 night in sweat soaked clothes bivy'd when we butchered sheep into the night and stayed in my emergency shelter at the killsite.

Love, love, love this bag. Have plenty of room to kick my leg out as I typically do and roll over and over as I also typically do. Haven't found myself chilled nor too hot in it yet--albeit I have adjusted what I have slept in between full clothes to boxers.

Oh, and it compresses down to about the size of a nalgene bottle--slightly bigger around but also slightly shorter. Did I mention I love this bag?

Will

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

codym

WKR
I have been using a k slick bag this year. All of my trips have been rainy disaters add my struggles with condensation in my tipi things could have gone south quick. The slick bag has been my savior. It's a little heavy maybe but it is completely worth every ounce. It's kept me warm and dry, the bag itself dries very quickly. One of my best pieces of gear.

mcseal2

WKR
So I think from the replys so far, both are great. Mostly to somewhat dry and cold, the WM is king. Sleeping in a river, go Kifaru.

I have never owned a down bag of any kind. My only higher end bag is an older version of the Slick 20 degree, probably 6-8 years old now. I am sure the new version is better but mine works great. I like it due to versatility, it's worked well on the trips I've used it for. The last 3 were a late August muley scouting trip in Wyoming's Medicine Bow mountains at 30-50 degrees, a Wyoming muley hunt at 0 to 20 degrees, and an Alaskan moose hunt at 40-70 degrees. I have been able to be comfortable in it in all those temps. I definitely adjust what I wear in the bag, how far it's zipped, and how I use it, but I can sleep comfortably. 2 of those trips have been very wet and I've dried a lot of clothing in the foot box. I've slept with the bottom third against a very wet tipi without a liner and snow 24" up the outside wall and never had a clue the outside of the bag was wet. Kifaru products have treated me well and this is one that I don't plan to replace anytime soon for my use. I guess one thing I like is that I'm very brave about how wet things can be when I put them in the bag with me and that produces a lot of warm dry gear the next morning.

I would like to ask the down guys how well to the new ones with the waterproof down breathe and dry gear? I'm actually thinking of getting some Kuiu down pants and a jacket just to put on for glassing some trips without the weight/bulk of what I currently use (Kifaru LPP and Kuiu Kenai pants). I just have had such good luck with the synthetic stuff that I have a hard time switching. Thanks!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've never had an issue drying gear under my EE quilt. Left my WM bag at home on my latest trip to Montana so can't comment on it lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So I think from the replys so far, both are great. Mostly to somewhat dry and cold, the WM is king. Sleeping in a river, go Kifaru.

I have never owned a down bag of any kind. My only higher end bag is an older version of the Slick 20 degree, probably 6-8 years old now. I am sure the new version is better but mine works great. I like it due to versatility, it's worked well on the trips I've used it for. The last 3 were a late August muley scouting trip in Wyoming's Medicine Bow mountains at 30-50 degrees, a Wyoming muley hunt at 0 to 20 degrees, and an Alaskan moose hunt at 40-70 degrees. I have been able to be comfortable in it in all those temps. I definitely adjust what I wear in the bag, how far it's zipped, and how I use it, but I can sleep comfortably. 2 of those trips have been very wet and I've dried a lot of clothing in the foot box. I've slept with the bottom third against a very wet tipi without a liner and snow 24" up the outside wall and never had a clue the outside of the bag was wet. Kifaru products have treated me well and this is one that I don't plan to replace anytime soon for my use. I guess one thing I like is that I'm very brave about how wet things can be when I put them in the bag with me and that produces a lot of warm dry gear the next morning.

I would like to ask the down guys how well to the new ones with the waterproof down breathe and dry gear? I'm actually thinking of getting some Kuiu down pants and a jacket just to put on for glassing some trips without the weight/bulk of what I currently use (Kifaru LPP and Kuiu Kenai pants). I just have had such good luck with the synthetic stuff that I have a hard time switching. Thanks!

Waterproof down is a gimmick. I have an olderMarmot Helium with regular down(that I just upgraded to a WM Versalite w/overfill) and my wife has a marmot bag with dry down or whatever it’s called. There are mornings she would wake up with her bag starting to clump when mine was just fine. After she bought it I started looking up info on it and found that Western Mountaineering experimented with it and ultimately ended up sticking with regular down because they too thought it didn’t work as advertised. To me, a manufacturer like WM saying it isn’t worth it is all I need to hear.

geriggs

WKR
I decided to buy a quality bag this year just becasue as much as i love the BA park series bag, they are heavy and bulky for the warmth you get. I also decided to run a 30 in wide pad this year. Nemo imsunalted, very nice. So i bought a WM terralite in long and the extension too. Im a big guy. 53 inche chest 6'1" 280. Park series bags fit the best for me but I wanted to try out the WM bags. I hunt mostly in colorado and I wanted the versatility to also open it up and use like a quilt when things werent cold. I hunt during archery and this year it was pretty warm. maybe high 40s at night. I used it as a quilt the whole time and loved it. Its still a tad smaller than i like zipped up but it should do better keeping me warm with less air to heat. I really like the bag but havent tested it in colder temps yet. Maybe on a late hunt this year...unless its really cold. The zipper snag issue is no longer an issue...was always an issue on the BA bags.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
Just put in an order for the WM Astralite 26 quilt. Excited to put it to use.

i was never to happy with my slik bag, i turned it into a quilt. so then who has the best price on WM bags?
tia

i was never to happy with my slik bag, i turned it into a quilt. so then who has the best price on WM bags?
tia

Hermits Hut.

WM keeps their pricing pretty strict, its RARE to see them really 'go on sale'. However, HH offers free overfill, so they get the nod.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just put in an order for the WM Astralite 26 quilt. Excited to put it to use.

You will love it . We have been carrying them and I have used it a fair amount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
I have no experience w the slick bag, but have spent many nights in my WM Badger (15deg). I've never been cold in it down into the low teens, and if the temps are really going to drop, a liner makes it even warmer (and more versatile). If it's warmer than expected, just unzip the thing (effortless) Its a great bag. And I appreciate the shape/size of it. 6' 220lbs. The Badger is cut more generously without compromising my ability get it warmed up and stay warm. I loathe mummy bags. Love the Badger. I would replace it immediately if it were lost or damaged somehow.

Badger MF | Western Mountaineering

i have ZERO regrets about my Alpinlite bag except i think the Badger was the way to go. just that little bit more warmth is a good thing..i am noticing i get colder as i age.

now? i am at that crossroad where i cannot buy a Badger because it is too similar to my Alpinlite. haha..whatever. if my wife keeps stealing my bag, i am all in on that Badger. WM makes a great product.

I was torn between the slick and WM bag. Bought the WM bag and haven't looked back. I sleep in a floorless and it is a non issue.

Blandry

WKR
Slick bag with a woobie inside for cold spots. Lightweight you're better served with the WM bag.