Wall tent essential extras

It sounds like you plan of spending a lot of tie in camp.

Eitherway, bring a dang chainsaw and a splitting maul. Splitting wood with an ax is just Dumb. Loose the fan man. Bring some camp chairs. Drop one table unless you are cooking in a shade shelter. Drop the propane heat if you are bringing a wood stove. It would take one heck of a heater to heat that big of a tent anyways. 60 pounds of propane is nothing but mind security for most hunting size propane heaters in that tent. Just my experience and opinion.

Mark

WKR
Burn coal as a supplement to wood at night. Add a few chunks to your stove before going to bed. It burns hot and it's much more efficient than wood. Get it burning then adjust your stove damper to burn it slow at night.

S hooks if you have an internal frame to hang jackets, towels and other items.

Adding to 5milesback suggestion about mouse traps; keep anything you don't want mice to eat or chew up in an action packer or similar storage container. I hate mice! Nothing worse than having one crawl across your face in the middle of the night.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Rv’s are a pain to have a large group in. They condensate badly, and there is no way to hang and dry clothes and boots with propane heat. It’s also difficult to haul lots of extra stuff unless the rv is a toy hauler.
And the wife rarely likes it when you take the rv to have lots of guys with dirty boots and clothes live in it.
Wall tents are much more adaptable to hunting camp situations.

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of these things are 'nice to haves' and not 'need to haves' but in that same line - if you're gonna be in bear country and will have food in your tent, a portable bear fence around the perimeter of the tent could add some peace of mind for at night, and while you're away from the tent.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Rv’s are a pain to have a large group in.

If he's putting two 6' tables in a 14x16 tent along with a stove.........he's not in a large group. I use my 14x16 solo by choice, but if I put in the stove and two tables.......I wouldn't have much choice but to be in it solo. Every year I consider a big diesel pusher with satellite TV for college football just a little bit more and more. Perhaps one day I'll go that route. I was actually thinking about that this year as I was breaking camp down in the rain. Sure would be nice to just roll up to camp, park, and have camp just about ready to go.

Mark

WKR
Sure would be nice to just roll up to camp, park, and have camp just about ready to go.

My son bought a 31 foot travel trailer this year. So far we've hunted out of it three times. Nothing wrong with the luxury accommodations as far as I'm concerned.

Your quote above is exactly the way I view it. Pull up, unhook the truck, press a few buttons to slide out the sides and that's that. Turn on the lights, fire up the generator and turn on the cooler or the heater, turn on the TV and relax. The added bonus for me is that I didn't have to put any money towards it.

I'll keep the wall tent though. There are a lot of places we go where his trailer won't make it in.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I am going alone this year. My normal hunting partner can’t get the time off of work as easily as I can. That’s why I have lots of room in the tent for extra stuff. Not looking forward to the $1000 gas bill and not splitting it with someone, but I have just as much fun when I head west by myself. It’s dark early that time of year and I’ll probably spend half of every day in the wall tent. May as well be comfortable and warm. Many years ago on my first few trips to Montana in November, we camped with no heat at all in junky campers. I’d like a little comfort these days when possible.

ericF

WKR
I am going alone this year. My normal hunting partner can’t get the time off of work as easily as I can. That’s why I have lots of room in the tent for extra stuff. Not looking forward to the $1000 gas bill and not splitting it with someone, but I have just as much fun when I head west by myself. It’s dark early that time of year and I’ll probably spend half of every day in the wall tent. May as well be comfortable and warm. Many years ago on my first few trips to Montana in November, we camped with no heat at all in junky campers. I’d like a little comfort these days when possible.

If you are going to be spending that much time in camp, bring a Kindle if you are a reader. Lightweight and less bulky than real books and you can hold however many you want. Even better, take the Kindle with you out in the woods and stay longer just reading because you never know what might show up.

Titan

WKR
We run 3/4" pvc conduit through the tent frame (if you have the angle with the extra support). Bought a bunch of cheap "S" hooks on amazon to hang gear on. You can also hang a cot organizer or a "over the door" shoe rack thing to store stuff.

wytx

WKR
Some cheap wool blankets with grommets added so you can hang them from the frame on the sides. You can't believe how much more comfortable it makes a tent.

We use canvas drop cloths, 4x15 or 5x15. It makes a huge difference when it's very cold.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Burn coal as a supplement to wood at night. Add a few chunks to your stove before going to bed. It burns hot and it's much more efficient than wood. Get it burning then adjust your stove damper to burn it slow at night.

if you burn coal make sure to use a grate for coal if not it may burn right through your stove after a while

elkduds

WKR
Some cheap wool blankets with grommets added so you can hang them from the frame on the sides. You can't believe how much more comfortable it makes a tent.

When I used a 10x12 wall tent, I always hung a blanket against the door wall, as sort of a storm door. A coleman liquid fuel 2 mantle lantern puts out good heat along w light, often all the heat I needed in Sept. I always covered the tent roof w a nylon tarp, which extended past the tops of tent walls and created a 6 foot roof beyond the front door, for shade, cooking, storage.