Trekking Poles for Tipi

Just a simple question I haven't quite been able to find an answer to while Google searching.

I realize a lot of people use trekking poles to set up their Tipi. What I am curious about is wouldn't a trekking pole be the most helpful during meat packing while I'm out hunting?

If its stuck holding my tent up what good is it doing? What do you guys that run this method do in this case?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Just a simple question I haven't quite been able to find an answer to while Google searching.

I realize a lot of people use trekking poles to set up their Tipi. What I am curious about is wouldn't a trekking pole be the most helpful during meat packing while I'm out hunting?

If its stuck holding my tent up what good is it doing? What do you guys that run this method do in this case?

Yeah trekking poles help with packing meat.

However when I am usually using the trekking poles as a center pole I am usually with another person. In which case we each share a set so one apiece. Couple that with if the tent is still up then most of my gear is "in camp". And I only have meat on my back and minimal day hunt gear. So when I come out with meat and camp on my back for the true heavy load then we both have our own set of trekking poles. Of course if you are moving camp everyday like I often do on a sheep hunt and such then you always have camp on your back anyways so only use your trekking poles to setup the tent in the evening and take the tent down in the morning.

Here are trips when weight isn't as critical that I will just haul the center pole along as well. Just kind of depends on the trip.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
You can pull the trekking poles to use , leave your shelter staked out and simply slap them back in the evening to erect your shelter.

Owenst7

WKR
You can pull the trekking poles to use , leave your shelter staked out and simply slap them back in the evening to erect your shelter.

This^ when I'm solo and am hunting far from my spike camp.

I also pitch mine with poles and then guyline it to adjacent trees above most of the time. Then I can take the poles out and have extra room inside. If yours doesn't have guylines at the peaks, you can gather the end with a rock inside and get the same effect.

Finally, you can break a stick between two tree trunks that's within a few inches of the right length and swap your pole for that.

Floorless shelters offer a ton of versatility if you learn all the tricks to using them in the field, you just choose the method that's adapts best to your situation. The hunt I just got back from, I shot my cow so close to spike camp that I didn't want my poles with me anyway, but took them with me for the 9 mile hike out to the wilderness boundary.

OP
H
Thanks for the replies guys, I had thought about dropping the pole out but I plan on most likely having a stove so possibly having a hot stove came in mind there.

Good point on having the partners poles to use. I do plan on hunting with a buddy so that will probably be the route taken.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
What Luke said. I predominantly solo hunt. If my tent is staked and one of my trekking poles being used that usually means I'm not carrying camp on back so my pack is light. I usually bring my other trekking pole with on these day hunts and if I am fortunate enough to harvest an animal I only have to pack it back to camp. When I pack up camp and the meat then I'll have both trekking poles for the heavy haul.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you're already packing in a stove might want a dedicate pole for the tent, trekking poles can flex a bit, don't want them getting too close to a stove pipe. Or also if you are in a wooded area and have a small saw (both likely with a stove) then cut a wooden pole to length and use that instead.