Oct-Dec Car Camp Tent - Kodiak vs Cabelas AK Guide

I'm looking at getting a dedicated car camping tent to be used primarily late Oct-Late Nov with possible December/Jan wolf hunt thrown in. Primary use would be in MT/WY/ID.

It seems the Kodiak Canvas spring bow series is very popular as are the Cabelas Alaskan outfitter tents. I feel like I'd prefer the setup, space, and condensation benefits of the Kodiak Canvas models. After watching a few videos of the Kodiak canvas tents in wind, I have some concerns about how they'd handle wind/weather. The places I've hunted where I'd car camp have all been pretty sheltered but I'm not sure that would always be the case. Part of me says it should be fine in places I have any business driving my F150 in Oct-December, I'm curious what other's thoughts are?

I'd be using this solo probably 50% of the time, 2 people 30%, 3 people 20% of the time. Ease of solo set up is important as I hate to have things preventing me from being mobile.

The kodiak tents seem to be easier to set up. They’re canvas, so condensation isn’t a huge issue. You can have a stove jack sewn into the tent, which is a huge plus. If it were me, I’d go kodiak and buy a wood stove.

Also, don’t completely count out a wall tent. I know they seem cumbersome, I have a 12x14 from Davis with the traditional frame and it’s honestly a breeze to set up solo. The hardest part is unloading it because it weighs a good bit. It’s easier to set up solo than the cabelas Alaskan guide tents I have.

It takes me about 15 mins tops from back of truck to pulling stove out.

I would go with a canvas wall tent. I have a couple cabelas wall tents made by montana canvas. They work great and are easy to set up by myself.

LaHunter

WKR
The Kodiak tents get a lot of good reviews for sure. Another option instead of the Cabela's Alaskan dome tent is the Cabela's Outfitter Instinct tent. I have the large one and spent a week in WY in mine couple years ago in some extreme wind, cold, and snow. This tent held up great in winds in the 70+ mph range. It comes with a 5" stove jack made into it. It holds heat extremely well, as it is a double wall tent (with a rain fly). A really small wood burning stove will heat this tent well and keep condensation away. I had no condensation in mine during a week, but I kept my stove going while I was in the tent. When I go solo, this is the tent I take, and it is pretty easy to set up by myself. It has more usable floor space vs a true dome tent too.

OP
wind gypsy
Ordered the Kodiak spring bow 10x14 today. Wall tent was tempting but only have a couple weeks before MT rifle season and wanted to keep things simple.

Let us know how it works. I find my wall tent cumbersome and takes up alot of space in the rig. I want to go to something different for being more Mobile.
I'm considering a 10x10 Kodiak.
Or a tipi something like the redcliff or 8 man

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered the Kodiak spring bow 10x14 today. Wall tent was tempting but only have a couple weeks before MT rifle season and wanted to keep things simple.

I think you'll be happy with it. I spent 2 weeks in mine last September in Montana and the weather was more like November than September. Stayed dry, held up to moderate wind and no condensation. Used a buddy heater to warm things up. I'd recommend bringing a small roll of carpet to help buffer your feet. Made a huge difference.

I think you'll be happy with it. I spent 2 weeks in mine last September in Montana and the weather was more like November than September. Stayed dry, held up to moderate wind and no condensation. Used a buddy heater to warm things up. I'd recommend bringing a small roll of carpet to help buffer your feet. Made a huge difference.
I have both wall tent and kodiak canvas , both are great setups , youll love your springbar, just a heads up on the buddy heater if you get up above 8500 feet you can have problems keeping the buddy heater lit because of the oxygon sensor, if you have an older one without the sensor no problem, I couldnt get my new one to stay lit past a couple minutes even after opening up the doors. Just a heads up. But my little stove heated it up just fine in the mornings, just unzip your doors for good ventilation. Congrats on the new tent