Stove pipe length?

I don't know what ideal length is, but I wish my six foot pipe was a foot longer. It looks pretty close to the peak of my three man tipi.

Rokwiia

WKR
I searched hi and low for the same answer to skaldugwas's question. There were a lot of variables such as wind, us of a spark arrestor, baffle, etc. Some were a 18" and others 2'.

I just ordered a LO for my SO 4-man tipi and ordered it to be 3' above the top of the tent. I did it for two reasons...one, my use will be in a wooded area so wind will not be a factor and, two, I can shorten it easily enough myself if it is too long.

Better a bit too long than not long enough. Shorter pipes can put your shelter at risk for spark or ember holes. In certain cases a short pipe can result in drafting issues if wind turbulence (caused by the shelter peak) hits the flue opening. I don't have a specific formula but I always want my flue pipe to terminate above the highest point of my shelter.

One easy method is to simply get a pipe length which equals or slightly exceeds your shelter's ground-to-peak height. When you mount it to the top of the stove it will project above the peak of the shelter.

Do keep in mind that excessive pipe length can make it harder to get a stove to draft properly. All that cold metal and surrounding air outside the shelter causes a cooling effect on rising stove gases, and can produce smoky start-ups.

KBrtK1sl.jpg

nr55CPwl.jpg

Last edited:

AdamW

WKR
I think TiGoat's response when I asked was "at least a foot, more is better". I bought 7 foot for my Jimmy Tarp Hudson and kept it for a SO Cimarron. If you look at the pics on the SO website it shows 2 ft or so I'd bet. That seems to be a good number knock on wood. Some will say it will be whippy others will say it will burn your shelter more. Lots of opinions it seems.