How much do you really use your stove while backpack hunting?

I took it to Idaho on a mid/late Sept hunt at 8000-9000'. Never rained, snowed. But morning temps dropped to teens. Evenings cooled off as soon as sun fell below skyline. It got cold.
I had a WM 0 degree bag and slept perfectly in the cold weather.
For the first 2 days, I never set the stove up (LO). But one morning it got close to 10 degrees and I struggled to get out of the bag. I decided I wanted it. Didn't need it, just wanted it, as it made getting up before light easier. From that morning on I fired it every evening before bed as I ate, and every morning as I woke up.
Did I need it - nope. Would I take it again in same situation - yep.

My shelter is a SO Redcliffe.
This was a 7 day hunt.

When I hunt 3 dayers, I probably wouldn't bring it, weather permitting, as the hunt is over before my mental fatigue sets in.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I took it to Idaho on a mid/late Sept hunt at 8000-9000'. Never rained, snowed. But morning temps dropped to teens. Evenings cooled off as soon as sun fell below skyline. It got cold.
I had a WM 0 degree bag and slept perfectly in the cold weather.
For the first 2 days, I never set the stove up (LO). But one morning it got close to 10 degrees and I struggled to get out of the bag. I decided I wanted it. Didn't need it, just wanted it, as it made getting up before light easier. From that morning on I fired it every evening before bed as I ate, and every morning as I woke up.
Did I need it - nope. Would I take it again in same situation - yep.

My shelter is a SO Redcliffe.
This was a 7 day hunt.

When I hunt 3 dayers, I probably wouldn't bring it, weather permitting, as the hunt is over before my mental fatigue sets in.
Should have used it to warm those knees up for those long walks on that flat terrain you were in. I'd smack whoever sent you there lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Should have used it to warm those knees up for those long walks on that flat terrain you were in. I'd smack whoever sent you there lol

Payback will find its way to this culprit. lol

Nothing in Idaho is flat, not even the top of the ridge.
"Here are my waypoints, go there" he said...……..
lol

Boxermick

FNG
I camped in my Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT2 floorless for most of archery season in CO (late August to Mid Sep). I packed my small Tigoat WiFi but never used it. There was one night where I thought I should fire it up - I was sopping wet (but not cold). Decided to sleep in my Kifaru Slick Bag with wet clothes instead. Woke up totally dry. I’m sold on the stove when there’s snow on the ground though. That small stove in the Mountain Shelter is the perfect combo for me.

It's an option and a luxury for most of us. I wouldn't backpack one for less than a 5 day hunt, unless I expected very wet cold weather. I had one with me in Alaska a few years back and never burned it once over a 12 day moose hunt. Heat is sweet for drying out clothing, boots and gear. Aside from that it's a comfort thing.

When I did 15 days solo in AK my stove was basically a poor man's television set and Wilson rolled into one.

1kpJzsdl.jpg
thats a serious solo hunt.. 15 days.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

mtnhmr

FNG
It's an option and a luxury for most of us. I wouldn't backpack one for less than a 5 day hunt, unless I expected very wet cold weather. I had one with me in Alaska a few years back and never burned it once over a 12 day moose hunt. Heat is sweet for drying out clothing, boots and gear. Aside from that it's a comfort thing.

When I did 15 days solo in AK my stove was basically a poor man's television set and Wilson rolled into one.

1kpJzsdl.jpg

Have to ask, what type of stove?

/props to a 15 day solo, either heaven or hell; perhaps both.

sneaky

"DADDY"

Looks like a TiGoat wifi. I've got a Ruta Locura which is pretty similar since they are basically the same guys who just spun off from TiGoat.
d3fc6f93be67d42937dd37e83aa02bfe.jpg

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve only been on 1 backpack hunt. 3rd season Colorado last year. We had a stove and it helped cover up mistakes that more experienced backpack hunters probably wouldn’t make.

Namely - getting drenched in sweat on the hike in and not bringing adequate temp rating sleeping bags.

So based on my limited experience - it may be a luxury for pros, but can really help cover up inexperience for newbies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I’ve carried mine more than I’ve used it, but it’s been real nice to have on a couple of occasions when it’s cold and wet out. I have the smallest TiGoat cylinder stove which requires constant feeding to keep going. The hassle of dealing with firewood, set up, takedown as well as getting the stove going and keeping it going long enough to actually dry gear out are usually the reasons I don’t use it except during more extreme conditions.

On non hunting trips, I have more time and inclination to mess with it. In fact, I like that it gives me something to do. On hunting trips, I’m usually trying to get to sleep as soon as possible and getting moving in the AM is a priority so, I’m less motivated.

I have just got myself a smith 14" stove.
I will be using it during late session moose, red deer hunting, when things gets wet, snow and windy.
It is my first stove, so I do not know how much it will be used, but I imagine when I am wet to the bone, a stove to dry some clothes and myself around is nice.

eagle_eye

FNG
I used to have a Kifaru 8 man tipi and large stove. Only used it once or twice. It was just to much shelter for me
as I do most of my hunting solo.
I sure wish I had the stove this year as I'm making a tent, but running out of time to build a stove for it.
For me having a stove would give me peace of mind knowing that I could, if need be, have a good heat source
back at camp(3 miles from the truck).

Definitely one of the finest hunting adventures I've ever experienced. The stove is a Ti Goat Wifi in medium size. Very solid unit considering its light physical weight. Easy to burn and maintain.

ianpadron

WKR
Just this year I have had 2 trips that were saved by my titanium stove.

First time, got blasted by an early October blizzard in Southern Idaho, I had my Sawtooth and stove set-up, buddies had a couple mountaineering tents. We set those up about 6 miles deep as a spike camp and then slept at base camp before the opener. When we got back to spike camp, everyone's stuff was soaked and tents were snapped (even my REI tipi/tarp pole snapped under the snow load). If I hadn't had my stove, we would have been royally screwed. That first night, I ran that thing like I rented it, had everyone's clothes hanging off the clothes line and one buddy that even decided to be my roommate instead lol. Saved our hunt.

2 weeks later, solo about 10 miles deep into a central Idaho wilderness area I stupidly got caught about 3 miles away from camp in a thunder/lightning/rain/snow storm without rain pants. No bueno. By the time I got back to camp I was a little wet rat. The stove fired right up and was a massive morale boost.

I always check the forecast and plan accordingly. Mid-October on, I consider my stove a necessity unless we're looking at a week straight of high pressure bluebird days.

One thing that I think is underrated, that Kevin mentioned, is that it gives you something to do. Late in the season, especially if you're hunting solo, you spend a lot of time in a dark/cold tent. It's nice to have some "camp chores" to tackle every night.
8eff6af7fb90a88ee7c3f672398aff7d.jpg
66de11f2c375c889a98438cbd788e673.jpg
ff7583d73488ecb8d2c4cf100c1b8e5c.jpg

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like you do a lot of the same type of hunting I do late season. Deep back in nasty weather. I haven't pulled the trigger on a floorless shelter with a stove yet. In snowy frozen conditions did you have to deal with the stove turning the frozen ground to mud and creating a muddy mess in your shelter at all? Or does that stove just dry everything out super quick? How about in the rain/sleet conditions? Thanks

OP
R

Rmauch20

WKR

First time, got blasted by an early October blizzard in Southern Idaho, I had my Sawtooth and stove set-up, buddies had a couple mountaineering tents. We set those up about 6 miles deep as a spike camp and then slept at base camp before the opener. When we got back to spike camp, everyone's stuff was soaked and tents were snapped (even my REI tipi/tarp pole snapped under the snow load). If I hadn't had my stove, we would have been royally screwed. That first night, I ran that thing like I rented it, had everyone's clothes hanging off the clothes line and one buddy that even decided to be my roommate instead lol. Saved our hunt.

2 weeks later, solo about 10 miles deep into a central Idaho wilderness area I stupidly got caught about 3 miles away from camp in a thunder/lightning/rain/snow storm without rain pants. No bueno. By the time I got back to camp I was a little wet rat. The stove fired right up and was a massive morale boost.

I always check the forecast and plan accordingly. Mid-October on, I consider my stove a necessity unless we're looking at a week straight of high pressure bluebird days.

One thing that I think is underrated, that Kevin mentioned, is that it gives you something to do. Late in the season, especially if you're hunting solo, you spend a lot of time in a dark/cold tent. It's nice to have some "camp chores" to tackle every night.
[/QUOTE

Did you backpack it in that far or what are using pack animals ?

ianpadron

WKR

[/QUOTE

Did you backpack it in that far or what are using pack animals ?
Packed in on my back.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

The stove isn’t needed until you get weather. We just got back from a week in the flat tops for first season. We packed in 8 miles and it snowed on us the entire time. Got to camp and had to shovel 2 ft of snow for the tent footprint. Everything we were wearing was wet from the snow, packs and boots wet. After burning for the first night everything was dry for the next morning. It snowed off and on for most of the season and had one night down to 2 degrees that we kept the stove going all night for. IMO the stove was a must for this type of hunt. Mucking around in knee deep snow and mud everyday would make for a miserable time without a stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in the Flat Tops for first season too, and just like that I am looking for a shelter with a stove!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I don’t don’t get the “hassle” comments from guys. I have to think it because they’ve never used one of the lightweight tip/stove combos...? It takes less then 30 minutes to setup the 4 or 6 man SO tipi with stove and gather enough wood for a couple hours of burning.

In snowy frozen conditions did you have to deal with the stove turning the frozen ground to mud and creating a muddy mess in your shelter at all? Or does that stove just dry everything out super quick? How about in the rain/sleet conditions? Thanks

It melts it slowly. More like evaporation. Never had a mud issue even when setup onsnow.

“And gather enough wood for burning” that’s the variable. The 30 minute set up time is valid but most guys aren’t approaching it from the standpoint of a crew drill

The only place I’m usually static long enough to be justifiable is near the truck- and I just go with fire ring there in accordance with local / seasonal rules. I’m usually sleeping in a bivy sack otherwise. I’ve brought a tipi and stove on late season (November- March) float trips in Alaska and they were nice then- even setting up and taking down nightly- but with about 6 hours of fishing time- time for gathering wood and setting up camp isn’t running short - which means you can gather enough for a big fire... and warm up the outside instead of being confined to the tent

My other thing is- once everything is frozen I just as soon leave it that way. Freeze thaw cycle is harder in gear than staying frozen. introduces water into everything and you know it’s going to refeeeze there etc

If I was hunting with a guy who had a stove, I’d help set up and tear down and gather wood to whatever extent it took to make sure the thing was well stoked and we didn’t have to scrimp on using it, but I don’t see one my future at this time- knowing full well minds and hunting grounds and seasons can change.