How much do you really use your stove while backpack hunting?

Rmauch20

WKR
I’ve been gathering gear the past couple years.This year the two items I want to pick up are a Garmin reach and floorless tent with the stove. I am fairly new to western style hunting. My first elk trip was last year and I went to Wyoming on a antelope trip this year. Last year on our elk trip we backpacked in a few miles before opening day and that night of thunder/snow storm came through. For the next five days sleeping in my Sierra designs flashlight 2 tent I thought it be awesome to have the stove. Even this year when I went to Wyoming there were times where it be nice to warm up in the evenings. I’ve been stalking the seek outside LBO and Cimarron as well as the Kifaru supertarp. I would pick up 2 to 3 pounds of weight compared to my Sierra designs tent. But I also add a stove which would be worth it, I think. For those that have a similar system do you have any regrets about getting one?Do you take the stove every time you head out? If I’m only making one or two trips or year do I really need it? Or should I just suck it up.

IdahoElk

WKR
In the 30yrs I've been Elk hunting having a stove was a luxury and not a necessity.If weight is a consideration,skip it,you won't be roughing it if you have a good sleep system.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If I hadn't of forgotten my 0 degree WM Kodiak on my last Montana trip I might not have used my stove that much. That being said, 15 degrees and 20mph winds sucks the heat out of an LBO and the 20deg EE quilt just wasn't the right choice for those temps. Early season you won't see a need for it much, late season when it gets dark at 5pm, then you'll enjoy it. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I literally just got back from a weekend backpack hunt, didn't need a stove at all. Last weekend was much colder with rain, a stove would have been nice, but not exactly needed yet. But then I am in Southern Ca. Next week I will be the Sierra's at elevation. From experience, I can tell you I will be using the stove every night and morning for 12 days. When it is cold, it is an essential. Years ago I spent a full week up there with the daytime higs never getting close to above freezing, this same time of year. I have also been up there this time of year with day time highs in the low 80's, but night time lows getting down to freezing some nights. I can go without a stove for a few days, but at about the 5th day, the stove comes into play in just how you feel about continuing to hunt, when it's cold. I've seen plenty of hunters that just couldn't take the cold without a stove, and simply pack up and head out. The worst part is that where I hunt, the colder it gets, the better the hunting. If your heading out for several days, and you want your moral to stay high, take the stove.

I only use mine for Backcountry camping trips during the winter when I’m snowshoeing and pulling my sled. Otherwise I’m running my hunts from a wall tent with a bigger stove.

My medium box stove is a bit fussy, it seems like always having to feed it. The minute I don’t pay any attention to it I have to start over.

chindits

WKR
I’ve backpack hunted since 1999. I’ve used a little cook stove almost every day. The last couple years a little BRS has been my favorite. That cheap Chinese stove won’t quit.

I have never used a tent stove. I might of built a fire a half dozen times in that time. I think it’s never been much below negative 20 so why bother. I’d say the worst part of severe cold is moisture management and preventing water vapor transpired from your body condensing in your sleeping bag down insulation layer. It seems critical for me to use vapor barriers at night and a sacrificial down quilt to minimize condensation in my sleeping bag down or shell on those sub zero nights. The only other burden is bottom bagging your boots so they don’t freeze solid. YMMV

FlyGuy

WKR
If your hunts are primarily september/october then It is a luxury item.

I don't pack it in unless I know it's going to a bad cold night or a lot of rain. It takes time to set up and break down each time you move camp, it takes time to collect/size/sort wood, stove and wood take up space inside a small shelter... so if you are planning to move camp each night it then the value isnt there for me.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
i love the woodstove in my sawtooth especialy late season when the days are shorter. its nice to wake up and get ready with it warm and its also nice going to bed warm and drying clothes / gear . its ideal with 2 people as collecting and cutting wood takes a fair bit of time and way faster with 2. the only down side is setup and the burn time isnt very long.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weather and temp contingent will say any fire or stove picks up your mood when your by yourself and things Are slow. I just did a Short bivy hunt in north Idaho solo three nights on the hillside lite outdoors 18 inch stove. No precipitation and lows in the teens the stove was only source for warming things up does well to heat up one cup of coffee and my burritos each night. Slept like baby partially due to zero degree down bag. This little stove will burn close to two hours 👍

sneaky

"DADDY"
What shelter were you running Ross?
Weather and temp contingent will say any fire or stove picks up your mood when your by yourself and things Are slow. I just did a Short bivy hunt in north Idaho solo three nights on the hillside lite outdoors 18 inch stove. No precipitation and lows in the teens the stove was only source for warming things up does well to heat up one cup of coffee and my burritos each night. Slept like baby partially due to zero degree down bag. This little stove will burn close to two hours

sneaky

"DADDY"
Gotcha. I've got an LBO with vestibule myself

530Chukar

WKR
The stove isn’t needed until you get weather. We just got back from a week in the flat tops for first season. We packed in 8 miles and it snowed on us the entire time. Got to camp and had to shovel 2 ft of snow for the tent footprint. Everything we were wearing was wet from the snow, packs and boots wet. After burning for the first night everything was dry for the next morning. It snowed off and on for most of the season and had one night down to 2 degrees that we kept the stove going all night for. IMO the stove was a must for this type of hunt. Mucking around in knee deep snow and mud everyday would make for a miserable time without a stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I hunt archery seasons....we don't even fire it up unless its wet...or pretty cold just to the the chill off.

I mainly use mine for a short time early and late. Never keep it going all night.

We don't spend that much time in the tent on a hunt...if we do we are doing something wrong...or the weather is just abysmal.

Imo its essential for extended hunts past 3 days in the colder wetter months. Anyone can hack it out for 3 days no matter how wet, cold, and miserable if they have a good sleep system and proper clothing.

I just got back from a mule deer hunt where the weather was beautiful and the nights pretty tolerable for 7 out of 8 days. I easily could have made do with out a stove but I had a fire every night anyway just because that little titanium wood stove is damn good company when hunting solo. It gives me a little more confidence in case I get soaked and just plain gives me something to do after dark when its too early for me to catch some z’s rather than just sitting in the dark. I call it my backcountry television.

They also help stretch out your cannister fuel.

FlyGuy

WKR
I completely agree with everything above. I don't (yet) hunt late season, but if I did I wouldn't think of doing it without my stove. For archery it is basically a luxury item that I use in basecamp, but boy it's nice to have.

To the OP, if this is a budget thing, I wouldn't prioritize the stove above more critical gear like your bag/pad/shelter. But once you have those items in place the stove is a nice add on. If you hunt more late season rifle then I would prioritize it much higher than if you only hunt early season archery like me. Either way though I can promise you won't be sorry that you have one in your kit.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

dog812

WKR
I've had my stove for about a year. Set it up multiple times in the backyard. This weekend will be the first time I actually carry it.. Hopefully it does everything it should. Wish me luck.

It's an option and a luxury for most of us. I wouldn't backpack one for less than a 5 day hunt, unless I expected very wet cold weather. I had one with me in Alaska a few years back and never burned it once over a 12 day moose hunt. Heat is sweet for drying out clothing, boots and gear. Aside from that it's a comfort thing.

When I did 15 days solo in AK my stove was basically a poor man's television set and Wilson rolled into one.

1kpJzsdl.jpg

OP
R

Rmauch20

WKR
Thanks for the info/opinions. I am might pick up just the shelter and think some more on the stove.

When I did 15 days solo in AK my stove was basically a poor man's television set and Wilson rolled into one.
awesome description!

I find it an essential luxury in late season so that I'm not forced to be snugged down in my bag for the whole evening. when it gets dark at 6 pm, it's nice to be able to read a book comfortably with my top half out of my bag, lounging in the tent, rather than zipped into a zero degree bag with gloves on trying to read. It's also nice to be able to take the chill off in the morning before getting out of the sack.

Luxury item for sure, but it's the first one I take.