2 man freestanding tent options

BA copper spur ul2 and msr hubba hubba seem to be two of the top choices but are a bit of my price range. i'm looking for something similar around 4 pounds and $250 or preferably less. even considering a kelty salida 2 and putting the savings towards a lighter pad. msr elixir, marmot tungsten, nemo galaxi, and the endless big agnes options (blacktail, cbar, slater, frying pan) are others i'm lookin gat. i'll hopefully be using this on a western backpack hunt next year but also around here in the summer so i'm not really looking to go floorless. i'll be using it in cold weather but not heavy snow or really high winds. i don't care about stargazing which apparently is a big selling point if you watch reviews on youtube. just want something reasonably lightweight and packable, durable, and easy to set up.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
can’t comment on a shelter that checks all the boxes, but if it’s for solo use a lightweight two man will do the trick, if it’s for two men- then I would definitely be looking at a 3 man shelter

weaver

WKR
Keep an eye on eBay. Was watching a store return copper spur 2 that went for $255 this past week.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
ezmorningrebel
can’t comment on a shelter that checks all the boxes, but if it’s for solo use a lightweight two man will do the trick, if it’s for two men- then I would definitely be looking at a 3 man shelter

i wouldn't sleep with my wife in a two person tent, much less another dude. this is for solo use + gear.

OP
ezmorningrebel
Keep an eye on eBay. Was watching a store return copper spur 2 that went for $255 this past week.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

yeah i've got a close eye on ebay right now. there are some good deals but big agnes has so many options i can't keep up with all of the differences.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you don't need it til next year I would save money up, increase my budget, and get a better tent

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
ezmorningrebel
If you don't need it til next year I would save money up, increase my budget, and get a better tent

so what tent would you suggest is better?

i'm all for buy once cry once but a really nice tent isn't going to do me any good if i can't afford gas and tags to go use it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
so what tent would you suggest is better?

i'm all for buy once cry once but a really nice tent isn't going to do me any good if i can't afford gas and tags to go use it.
There's a BA CS2 with footprint here on the classifieds for just over $300. If an extra $100 is going to blow your entire budget you need to step back and reassess. If you're cutting it that close, that leaves zero margin for error for unforeseen circumstances.

OP
ezmorningrebel
There's a BA CS2 with footprint here on the classifieds for just over $300. If an extra $100 is going to blow your entire budget you need to step back and reassess. If you're cutting it that close, that leaves zero margin for error for unforeseen circumstances.

i hear what you're saying and if the CS2 really is that much better than everything else i'll keep my eyes peeled for a deal. no $100 isn't going to make or break the whole thing, but if i apply that same thinking when i've got 5 other things i need to buy up it does matter. i feel like you've to draw a line somewhere.

Deepshax

WKR
If its just for you then you dont really need the 2 doors that the MSR/CS has and a Salida should work - I have a Hubba Hubba and use it w/ my wife/dog, its a pretty nice tent and very easy to setup. maybe wait for the REI 20% off to get it down into your range.

sneaky

"DADDY"
i hear what you're saying and if the CS2 really is that much better than everything else i'll keep my eyes peeled for a deal. no $100 isn't going to make or break the whole thing, but if i apply that same thinking when i've got 5 other things i need to buy up it does matter. i feel like you've to draw a line somewhere.
Only 5 more things? You're ahead of the curve then lol

sneaky

"DADDY"
Look at the Campsaver outlet page. I think they are still doing an extra 15% off the outlet items. Several tents in there.

Graves14

WKR
I’d look at the tarp tent double rainbow as well ($300 new). Henry Shires makes a fantastic tent!

Akicita

WKR
My wife got a Nemo Dagger 2 last Summer for her solo trips and I used it on some of my solo "light & fast trips". I am pretty impressed with it and I feel its a better tent than the Hubba Hubba or BA CS2.

Beendare

WKR
FWIW,

If you plan on using this 2 man shelter for many years, I would buy the best quality you can afford.

I've seen a few of the tents mentioned here....and can't imagine them lasting more than 5 years with the use we give these things. Cheap Chinese junk and hunting the western mtns don't mix.

I would highly recommend looking over that poor quality BA stuff in person before buying.

Have you looked at the Luxe stuff?
All-Weather Lightweight Camping Teepees, Tarps and Tents

– Luxe Hiking Gear

I dunno anything about them...except that they are inexpensive.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
FWIW,

If you plan on using this 2 man shelter for many years, I would buy the best quality you can afford.

I've seen a few of the tents mentioned here....and can't imagine them lasting more than 5 years with the use we give these things. Cheap Chinese junk and hunting the western mtns don't mix.

I would highly recommend looking over that poor quality BA stuff in person before buying.

Have you looked at the Luxe stuff?
All-Weather Lightweight Camping Teepees, Tarps and Tents

– Luxe Hiking Gear

I dunno anything about them...except that they are inexpensive.
I can't believe you're calling all BA stuff Chinese junk, then recommending a Chinese made tipi lol.

There's certainly different levels of the BA gear, I never had any issues with the Copper Spurs I had, but I would recommend the OP take a look at the Nemo Dagger series. Great tents, some really cool features.

Tarptent doesn't get as much credit as they should either. Something to be said about US sewn tents and gear, and they are very competitive on price, weight, and features.

Mosby

WKR
I just bought my son a Big Agnes Slater tent 1+ for under $250. It is being discontinued, so you can get them for a pretty good price right now. They also make a two person and you get those under $250 as well, on sale right now at REI and other places. I think it is a nice tent for backpack hunts. It is freestanding, not a lot of mesh and it is a longer tent than most, so a bit heavier than other BA models but still relatively light at under 3 lbs. Those features were important to me. Should be a great tent for spring bear and fall elk and he is 6.3 " and a big dude so length of tent was important. Everything is a trade off with tents and everyone's priorities are different. I think the 2 man Slater would meet most of the features/requirements you listed fwiw.