Tent or Tipi suggestions

My brother and I hunted elk the second week of archery season in SW Montana. Last year we pulled an 8000# camper during gun season so this year for archery we decided to lighten our load and fuel cost and just take a tent. We took an older wally world Swiss Gear tent that was about an 8 man tent. It worked out great. I think we really pushed the limits of the cheap tent on the last day when the hail storm came. Which leads to my question.

If you were camping next to the truck, what tent would you buy with a $1200 budget. Alaknak, canvas outfitters tent or a tipi. I would plan on using some sort of heat in whichever shelter I bought. This would be for 2 people, possibly 3 with gear.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

92xj

WKR
Kodiak canvas 10x14 deluxe with a stove jack installed. 3 dog stove. That setup will do everything you need and stay under budget.

OP
maninthemaze
Thank you 92xj. I have never heard of Kodiak canvas. But that tent looks pretty darn good.

92xj

WKR
I've ran it for a few years now and love it.
I went that route because I wanted canvas but also wanted something I could put up myself as quickly as possible. You can get these flexbow tents set up by a single person in under 10 minutes easily.
The canvas aspect is awesome at holding in heat but also breathing and dealing with all elements mother nature go throw out. It's cool in the heat, plenty of air flow with all the screen windows and vents but plenty warm enough in the winter time covered in 6" of snow.
I also didn't want to take up truck space with all the poles and bulk a wall tent has. This Kodiak canvas tent takes up very little room in the truck.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw one of these Kodiak tents this year while hunting in Nevada. I was impressed at how well it handled the wind. I helped put it away and was surprised at how compact it rolled up. Well thought out design. I've been thinking of getting my own since then

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Jared is running the Wall Tent shops 12x14. Link is below. They are a Rokslide sponsor so at least reach out to Tyler over there for suggestions and pricing. I know if I was looking for a road camp tent, I’d go canvas over silnylon. It will outlast you

The Wall Tent Shop with future review...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one trip on my kodiak canvas 10x14 and thing it is perfect for what you're asking. It goes up extremely easy, probably 6-7 minutes average pitch time (I haven't used it with awning yet). I see no reason to go the tipi route for car camping unless you plan to occasionally pack it in.

92xj

WKR
Leaves you more room for 300+ lbs of critters! Are they riding inside the truck or in the bed?

Let's just pretend somewhere between the front bumper and rear bumper.

That tent, packed up will fit anywhere you need it to, bed, back seat, front seat floor board. They have a very nice case/cover/package deal that makes storing and carrying the canvas part very nice. The poles are in a bag that is about 4" diameter by 4' long. Lay it wherever.
My point was, compared to a canvas wall tent, the Kodiak canvas takes up very little room in any vehicle.

I would go canvas with a wood stove and some cots. Nothing compares to the luxury of that setup. And it will last forever. I camp with my buddy in a WW2 small canvas wall tent. It has some holes from falling out of the truck, but he throws a tarp over it and we're good.

OP
maninthemaze
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I've been watching a ton of videos on the Kodiak canvas tents. They look really nice.