Quilt or Bag

MacAttack

FNG
Side sleeper and I sleep warm. I bought a EE Revelation 20 degree with a nemo tensor insulated. Took a early season hiking trip with the girlfriend in the alpine lakes area in WA, temps got to down around 35...I was sweating. Granted, it was above the temp rating, but i have read reviews of people being cold in that temps in that range. My only suggestion, get a wide, if you are a bigger guy, get an extra wide.

ohoopee

WKR
Hammock Gear and Loco Libre also make great quilts.
I have the HG, LL and an EE. LL is my favorite but
the EE is available in a wider size. I use them in my
hammock or with a ground pad. HG and LL
are small cottage industry quilt makers with
good reputations and the bags are conservative
with their temp ratings.

Ps. Loco libre has about an 8 week wait time
but George makes a dern nice quilt.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
Side sleeper and I sleep warm. I bought a EE Revelation 20 degree with a nemo tensor insulated. Took a early season hiking trip with the girlfriend in the alpine lakes area in WA, temps got to down around 35...I was sweating. Granted, it was above the temp rating, but i have read reviews of people being cold in that temps in that range. My only suggestion, get a wide, if you are a bigger guy, get an extra wide.

Same setup I have. My Revelation 20* kept me cozy all last week, from low teens with wind and rain to upper 30's at night. When it was upper 30's I only wore a t-shirt and corrugate guide pants, base layers were too hot, didn't even wear socks. When it was low teens I did a base layer with a puffy layer over with socks. Everyone sleeps different, but I am in love with mine.

Glen1978

FNG
EE Revelation for me. 20 degree and have camped at over 13k feet and woke up with ice on the the insides of the tent and 6" of fresh snow on the ground. I slept in a thin base layer that night. Im sure it was well below 0 that night. I cant do a bag....feel trapped in it after I roll around a few times. I do wish I had a wide EE though.

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same boat as you. Didn’t know if I wanted a bag or quilt. I ended up going with a Kifaru Backcounty Bodybag. I haven’t gotten the opportunity to really test it yet as it’s still been warm here. The materials and craftsmanship are rock solid. The zipper can snag but it’s far better than most any other bag I have used. I have laid in it and it’s plenty roomy and comfortable. I can roll onto my sides, move my feet around and the shape of the bag allows me to bring my knees up while bringing the bag up with them so I don’t end up with a ton of dead air space below my feet. I can run it as a bag, blanket and I’m sure somehow even as a quilt since it has a full zipper. Aron told me the 25 degree temp rating on it is a comfort rating. With that being said it puts it in the same ballpark as most 15 degree bags as they are comfort rated around 23. I’m interested to see how low I can take it comfortably. Maybe consider giving it a look. I will try to post some pics if you would like.

Alan

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
Check this quilt company out:
BANDIT › UGQ Outdoor LLC › ugqoutdoor.com
They make an outstanding product and it's absolutely a great investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Bandit XL from UGQ and I love it. I went with a 20* with 2oz of over-stuffing. The quality is outstanding, it's light, and it's toasty. My brother-in-law thought I was crazy, (he has a 15* Kuiu bag which looked really nice) but I love it. I've used it in summer an most recently October in the Cascades. I will say though, you need to be certain your sleeping pad is well insulated, but that applies to bags also.

Our first night out was in the 20's, and my sleeping pad failed (new pad with a bad valve) and I was on the ground and I freak'n froze. Thankfully, my B-I-L had a back up Thermarest Z-lite that I could use. After that I was set.

In the future, I'll be bringing a backup close-cell foam pad too, but I can't recommend UGQ quilts enough.

boom

WKR
i have both a bag and quilt. both 20 deg.

the bag is warmer. i have literally woken up at night and switched. i went from quilt to bag. total experiment.

the bag is way warmer. i toss and turn somewhat. i just roll with the bag, not in the bag. never had an issue.

Sleeping with a quilt in cold weather takes a little more skill and consideration than a bag. I don’t have the skills so it’s bags for me. I’d recommend spending a night or 2 under a quilt in cold weather before you count on one for a big trip.